Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-07, 10:59 PM   #1
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default I fished a lake with lots of standing timber today.

I have 2 questions. First, big expensive bass boats were running full bore through stump fields with tons of stumps cut off just below the surface and not hitting anything. Do rigs that cost more than 30k have some sort of magical device that makes them imperveous to hitting stuff in the water, or were these guys just lucky morons?

And question number 2, I got caught up on some timber a couple times, the timber marooning me basically - am I the only one that has this happen to them? Is there a better way than just full boring off the timber and hoping something doesnt get busted?
Old 03-23-07, 11:09 PM   #2
ILfishinman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman

uh if they are hydroplaning they are ontop the water, but seems like a dumb move, i got stuck on a stump once when i rented a jonboat, took me and my mom bout 20 mins to get off it, we just had a trolling motor, we just spun around till we got off of it.
Old 03-24-07, 12:17 AM   #3
Rebbasser

1. If they are not in a marked boat trail they are dang lucky. Run like that enough and they will hit something.

2. So far the TM pulled me off just fine. A shallow mud flat, now...Had a couple of adventures getting out of that.
Old 03-24-07, 08:25 AM   #4
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILfishinman View Post
uh if they are hydroplaning they are ontop the water, but seems like a dumb move, i got stuck on a stump once when i rented a jonboat, took me and my mom bout 20 mins to get off it, we just had a trolling motor, we just spun around till we got off of it.

A boat is never on top of the water..it is always displacing, unless you're going at pretty excessive speeds and then only your motor is in the water and the very back part of the hull.

No matter the case, it'd be real stupid to go that fast through stumps...one hit on the prop and you could be flipped, turned and catch an edge, rip the motor off, anything could happen.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 12:51 PM   #5
zooker

an average boat on plane basicly sticks down no more than 24" under the surface. high speed boats may only have 6" of the moter in the water -if they are running 100+- odds are they ae running the creek channel..

zooker
Old 03-24-07, 01:46 PM   #6
WTL

There was no channel or marked path.

And most stumps were less than 6 inches under the surface.
Old 03-24-07, 08:50 PM   #7
InEccess
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess

There's a member in the Bass Club I fish in that lost his Outboard that way. Luckily, his insurance company was more then happy to buy him a new one. I have a co-worker that lost his motor hitting a croc in South Carolina. There are things worse then stumps to hit while on plane.
Old 03-24-07, 08:55 PM   #8
lizardsrule

Are you sure there wasn't a channel there? They may know where it is, and they can use it. If you really want to fish a stump field, might I suggest Rodman or Stickmarsh rotfl. I've been stuck many times on stumps. You can most of the time use the trolling motor to get off of them, but sometimes it might take the big motor being fired up. I've seen a few lower end units destroyed due to running to fast and hitting a stump. If they knew where to run, then OK, otherwise not only were they lucky, they were really really stupid. If this was a lake in Alabama, I would guess they are inbreeders LOL. Many times shifting your weight around(moving to the rear or front perhaps or even rocking back and forth) will make the difference for you to pop off of them. I did have to pull someone off of a stump at Stickmarsh, not saying who though rotfl.Lizrds
Old 03-24-07, 09:10 PM   #9
WTL

Naw Lizards, this was mississippi actually...so worse....
Old 03-25-07, 02:16 AM   #10
Jolly
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Our lake is full of standing timber and can be dangerous if you don't know where the channel is (obviously). Plus, there is no marked paths in any of the channels throughout the lake. Since we (and many others) have been fishing lake since it was extremely low up to where it is now (a movement of 30 feet or so) we know where the channel is and where to run safely in all creeks as to not die! Odds are those guys in those expensive boats knew where the channel was and knew right where to run, otherwise, surely they wouldn't be taking that obviously stupid risk. Maybe those guys are morons but chances are much better that they (I'm assuming there was more then one) knew where to run and how fast they could push their boats. Then again after watching the classic this year, its obvious there are idiots out there that take stupid risks with their high dollar boats. Anyway, just my 2 cents!

Jolly
Old 03-26-07, 08:07 PM   #11
bassnman30
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I must agree with Jolly. LA has alot of stumps, but if you find a good path through these areas you can go "the short way".
Old 03-31-07, 10:34 PM   #12
flfireman

Yeah, Lucky moron would probably be right. Ive actually seen people get hung up on timber with TM speed. Then to have some SOB pull ya off in your home lake after he caught all the fish on ya is just down right embarassing. Like I said "Ive seen this happen before" ROTFLMAO
Old 04-01-07, 12:35 PM   #13
FlyRod

Besides the obvious, there are two factors which contribute to many accidents involving wood/rock v. boat. First, changes in lake level reduce or eliminate certain known hazards...if it's high and dry, or plainly visible, you aren't likely to hit it. However, the aforementioned changes usually bring heretofore safely deep hazards nearer to or above the surface= new hazards.
Second, heavy rains and flooding will usually carry "floaters" downstream, some traveling the entire length of the lake. These may be nothing more than a little piece of bark, a twig, etc., but are often large tree trunks that will either float with only the least bit above surface or suspend, totally concealed, a few inches below surface. Running in clearly marked boat lanes or in usually open water will not be totally safe until these hazards have come to rest somewhere or have become so waterlogged as to sink well beyond the reach of hull or prop.
There are other types of floaters as well. Many moons ago, on a lake here in Texas, an acquaintance and I were drifting along, hull to hull, discussing shoes, ship, sealing wax, cabbages and kings, fishing. After our chat and shared snacks were finished, I watched as he motored off to seek the wily bass. When he was perhaps a quarter of a mile away and I was admiring the roostertail (the boat's tail, NOT his!) he struck something and came to a stop after the boat did a scary imitation of a skyrocket.
Seems a defunct *bovine, intact but all abloat, was simmering in the lake waters. He struck it, nearly full-bore. There was no damage to the boat, but he and his partner were nearly overcome by the shock and the fumes emitted from a ripped-open and putrifying carcass.
So, be careful. "There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots."

FR

*See: Moo cow.
(Got milk?)
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 01:00 PM   #14
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfireman View Post
Ive actually seen people get hung up on timber with TM speed. Then to have some SOB pull ya off in your home lake after he caught all the fish on ya is just down right embarassing. Like I said "Ive seen this happen before" ROTFLMAO
gee wonder who that could have been hmmm... i heard about that from the pullee not the hung on a stump.. or was that a boat trailer??rotflmao..

zooker
Old 04-01-07, 05:51 PM   #15
WTL

Yea I saw a dead cow with a cut taken out of it once floating in the lake. Not nice.

Anybody ever see the movie Rob Roy? Thats what it reminded me of, where he hides in the carcass of a dead longhaired cow.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.