Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-05, 09:40 AM   #1
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Rods reversed

OK this is one of those got too much winter here in Indiana questions. Does it make any difference in the rods flex/fish fighting abilitly to use it reversed of how it was designed? For example, if using a baitcaster rod, and I want to hold the reel face down, and I'm hooked into a hawg, is there any difference in using the guides more like a Spinning rod, where it actually is supposed to better to use a rod this way, spacing out the stress over the rod, instaed of the normal way? Just something that I've been thinking about, since a few things I've read about spinning vs baitcaster rods. Seems to me it would be better, but I'd have to figure out a new reel, or rod completely to reach this effect.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 10:25 AM   #2
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman
Default Re: Rods reversed

LIZ,

If that is all you have to think about, it must be "that time of the month"!

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 04:04 PM   #3
LEVI
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to LEVI

Lizard,
I'll agree with Jack on this one, Indiana's winter must be ten times worse then KY's because I don't think I would ever ask that weird of a question ;D!

Kybasser
LEVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 04:18 PM   #4
oldfisherman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to oldfisherman

i think Â*it would. with a baitcaster Â*you normal use heavier line and are Â*horseing the Â*fish into the Â*baot where the Â*rod bend helps (gives you more winching power). with a spinning rod Â*you have to play the Â*fish more and the Â* rod bend helps you not to Â*but too much strain on the line. just my two cents ond he Â*topic. but man lizards Â*you need to Â*get on the water. i guess with me Â*answering Â*that Â*post i do also. lol ;D
oldfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 04:33 PM   #5
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

There is a casting rod where the guides rotate to an upside down position. The only problem is that these rods aren't too popular. Iv'e only seen a few at a small tackle store and they don't even carry these rods anymore.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 05:09 PM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassnman30 link=board=MessBoards;num=1110372037;start=0#4 date=03/09/05 at 14:33:46]There is a casting rod where the guides rotate to an upside down position. The only problem is that these rods aren't too popular. Iv'e only seen a few at a small tackle store and they don't even carry these rods anymore. [/quote]

I have read a couple of posts in reference to that. Thought it might work a little better than a standard rod on fighting the fish.

OK I'll Admit I'm going freakin nuts :-/ I need to go and fish some warm water, and quit freezing my butt off. I finally get to go fishing a day, and the next day it's freezing again. I've sat by and watched the pond by my house thaw and freeze over 5 times this year. So what, I think about fishing when I can't fish, better than watching the soap opera's The girls are having a class today so I have nothing to do but sit around and think about fishing. And I've slept about 8 hours in the last 72 hours, so yeah I'm a little loopy right about now!

I really am curious if anyone really knows, does a rod blank have a bottom and top side when they make it so it will flex better a certain direction?

Loopy Lizards
Old 03-09-05, 07:11 PM   #7
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

wow ..... cabin fever setting in big time there lizard. take out your rod and reel and practice in the snow think warm thoughts. and practice some more that way when you have a fish bite the first time out ya won't be as rusty as last year

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 07:48 PM   #8
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Lizards, We should have a day of fishing where you use a peice of plastic pipe but I am not sure it would hold up well enough. heck you could tape real guides to it and tape a reel on as well.I always thought it would be neat to have a flipping stick with the roller guides like the boat rods have on them used mostly for saltwater fishing. ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 08:29 PM   #9
fisherwoman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fisherwoman

been there with the boredom.
asked a question on backbones a while back. should, maybe answer your question.
look here.

http://www.fishnet.com.au/forums/vie...post_id=258554 :P :P

cheers

fisherwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 09:00 PM   #10
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Felix link=board=MessBoards;num=1110372037;start=0#8 date=03/09/05 at 18:29:49]been there with the boredom.
asked a question on backbones a while back. should, maybe answer your question.
look here.

http://www.fishnet.com.au/forums/vie...post_id=258554 :P :P

cheers

[/quote]

Wow do all you guys build your own rods? ??? 8) Now that just brings up my next question. Being a weekend warrior and by no means an expert, I haven't a clue. But how do you tell where the spine is? Do you feel for it or is there a machine that tells you? Sounds like there are few differing opinions, but it would only seem logical from what I read, that you would want it to be on the spine. But I have absolutely no idea how to find it or what to look for? Thanks Felix, great info I appreciate it.

CHEERS

Lizards
Old 03-09-05, 09:07 PM   #11
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

UNCLE LIZ,

Â* Â* Yes, there is a right way (or top & bottom) to put a rod together. Before you start building a rod, you put the tip on the floor and put pressure at about a 45 degree angle so that the rod bends strongly. When the rod is bent, you roll the butt of the rod between your hands and feel for the strongest area of resistance. This is called the "spine" and needs to be on the top part of the rod where you install the guides (on a bass casting rod) This gives the rod the most strength.

JackL
Old 03-09-05, 09:23 PM   #12
fisherwoman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fisherwoman
Default izard. i do it this wayas picRe: Rods reversed

lizard, i find the backbone this way (as pic)
put blank butt on smooth floor put thumb under blank at top end & a finger on top of blank down lower, then using thumb load up the blank, it will automatically 'click' into place.
i like to find it in the lower end of the working curve as some blanks it will spiral slightly.
then guides go on top for baitcast & bottom for spin.

with practice it is really simple
cheers

by the way i am a bit heavier than the bloke in the pic :
fisherwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 09:31 PM   #13
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

felix
to many foster's huh?

that stick guy looks, like the guy that all boat builders use as a guide for there cockpit lay out..

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 10:18 PM   #14
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Lizards. If you buy a casting rod, the reel goes on top of it.

If you buy a spinning rod, the reel goes under it.

If you turn them around upside down, you look like a goober.

Other than that, don't worry about it. Go fishing.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 11:48 PM   #15
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

LIZ,

Â* Â* Hope your wife gets to feeling better so you will have more important things to do than sit around and think these weird thing up.

JackL Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* ;D
Old 03-11-05, 12:20 AM   #16
Big_Drew
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Big_Drew

Almost all rod blanks have a natural warp to them. I find it easier to go with the warp and then do what jackl was talking about to find the most exact center point of the spline. You can wrap your guides directly on it which will give you more power in the rod, or directly opposite which will give you greater casting distance. Do not go to either side of it because it will cost you accuracy. You'll know when your baits consistantly hit to the left or right of what your throwing at the you missed the spline. hehehehe... ;D
Big_Drew is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.