Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-05, 03:02 PM   #1
don_P
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to don_P
Default flipping and pitching with a spincast?

I was wanting to start pitching and flipping with a spincast outfit ,but was wondering can this be done?
If so I know I need a stout rod for thick cover and about 20lb test line what kind of rod? med/heavy or heavy?
Thanks Denny
don_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 07:08 PM   #2
housework101
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to housework101
Default Re: flipping and pitching with a spincast?

My son gets by pretty good with a spincast reel,it's kinda a modified pitch.he uses a 7' mh rod with 25# mono.It works for him pretty well but I prefer a casting reel.One good thing about pitching and flipping you can get by with almost any casting reel,it doesn't need to be anything special.I use a Gander Mountain reel that was $29.00 and it works just fine.So if you already need to buy a rod it might be a good time to just buy a inexpensive casting reel and go that way.
It just seems to me you have more leverage to yank those hawgs out of the thick stuff with a casting reel.

my 02
housework101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 08:56 PM   #3
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

I suppose it could be done but I am not sure why you would want to try ? The baitcasting rod has the rod blank under the line giving it more strength to get the fish started in your direction.So I think Herb is right. If you flip alot then you know it can be a chore to land them if you do not get them up almost imediately.I think a spinning rod would be difficult to move a big fish, but I have been wrong alot of times before. ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 09:03 PM   #4
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Sure you can. You just have to make sure your reel can handle the heavy line you'll probably use. Woo Daves used spin casting (Closed face) reels for years, even won a Bassmasters Tournament on the Ohio River (I believe) using one.

I don't flip or pitch often, but when I do, I use a open faced spinning outfit.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 10:05 PM   #5
don_P
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to don_P

thanks alot guys!!!! this site is a great one
Denny
don_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 10:05 PM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

What Cajun said, you probably want to get a reel in the 4 series(4000, 400, etc....) Which is designed for bigger lines. I will admit that I believe the Baitcaster reel is better suited for the task, but no reason you can't use your spinning reel, just like a baitcaster it takes time. I'm aslo with Cajun, I don't care for it much, but will do it if necessary. And yes a MH or Heavy would be my choice. If you are going to do it alot, look into the longer rods or even a telescoping rod. up to 7'6"

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.