Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-05, 11:56 PM   #1
morrow50
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to morrow50
Default Favorite Jigs?

Alrighty folks! Time to spill the beans on your favorite jigs! I am a pig and jig guy and always like trying a new one out. I have been toying with Dave's Tournament Tackle El Nino Finesse 3/8 Blue/Black Jig and the ole favorite Uncle Josh 11-A Blue Black trailer. List your favorite here so I have a excuse to try some new things ;D And then I can blame you guys if the wife gets on my butt :-X :P ;D

Mike
morrow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-05, 12:16 AM   #2
eyes
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Re: Favorite Jigs?

I've always done well with a Terminator Pro's Top Secret Jig (Black/Blue) tipped with a Rick Clunn's Jig Trailer (Black/Blue). I like the double rattles on the jig and the titanium wire keeper on the hook shank to hold the trailer. I also use the Black/Chartreuse jig.

I bought a few Booyah Jigs this year and plan on giving them a try with a Yum Chunk trailer.
eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-05, 12:19 AM   #3
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Mike, the one I use most I don't think are in production anymore and that is a Cyclone jig-it has a bullet shaped head that comes through the cover well. Â*Another one I like PnJ turned me on to called a Grassmaster jig. Â*Has a unique recessed line tie that has no knot sticking up. Â*Here is the link for it:

http://www.allterraintackle.com/products/grassjig.html

I'm with you on the black/blue and also like watermelon seed.

DStu, welcome to the forum!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-05, 12:40 AM   #4
eyes
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thanks Rebbasser! I'm always willing to talk about fishing. I love to learn new things and share my ideas/experiences as well.
eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-05, 12:42 AM   #5
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

You came to the right place, Amigo!
Old 03-22-05, 12:43 AM   #6
javelinguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to javelinguy

I like Mann's stone jigs in 3/8 and 1/2 oz sizes. I also like Arkie Jigs for skipping docks and overhangs.
I'll use Bitsy Bugs for finesse conditions or when I'm not hooking up like I should be.

Blue/Black you can't go wrong. When swimming a Jig though I like White 1/2 oz with Zoom Twin Tail.
javelinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-05, 12:59 AM   #7
morrow50
BassFishin.Com Member

I took a look at those jigs and I am going to order some tonight! I fish some waters that have alot grass and underwater vegetation. Teamed with some Uncle Josh, they may be a new favorite in my tacklebox.

Mike

[quote author=Rebbasser link=board=news;num=1111460181;start=0#2 date=03/21/05 at 22:19:16]Mike, the one I use most I don't think are in production anymore and that is a Cyclone jig-it has a bullet shaped head that comes through the cover well. Â*Another one I like PnJ turned me on to called a Grassmaster jig. Â*Has a unique recessed line tie that has no knot sticking up. Â*Here is the link for it:

http://www.allterraintackle.com/products/grassjig.html

I'm with you on the black/blue and also like watermelon seed.

DStu, welcome to the forum![/quote]
Old 03-22-05, 01:04 AM   #8
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

I need to order some more-I mainly use the big ones-1 and 1 1/2 oz. for the real thick stuff. Need some smaller ones for not-so-thick stuff.
Old 03-22-05, 01:14 AM   #9
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

whatever is the cheapest. but i do like uncle josh's. i get them when i have alot of money to spend
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-05, 09:48 AM   #10
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

www.retrieverlures.com

I use both of em, but my favorite is the Canine Stand Up.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-05, 11:44 AM   #11
kentuckybasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to kentuckybasser

bass stalker
kentuckybasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-05, 12:43 PM   #12
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Strike King Pro Model, just because they're available locally, along with Stanley, and Booya. But they are my preferred out of the three.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-05, 12:48 PM   #13
bassguy2004

I'm with bassboss on this one. Ever since he told me about them, it's the only jig I use. Black and blue Canine Stand-up with a black trailer (real pork).
Old 03-22-05, 01:04 PM   #14
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

my favorite jig would have to be a manns stone jig black and blue or a pumpkinseed color. As for trailer, i like the denny brauer 3x trailers
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-05, 07:19 PM   #15
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

rattle back and strike king pro. seeing i have only caught a few bass on jigs-so far-the colors that work for me are black/charturse with black trailer-zoom super chunk- and pumkin with a pumkin paca craw trailer.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-05, 07:36 PM   #16
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Quote:
! I am a pig and jig guy and always like trying a new one out. I have been toying with Dave's Tournament Tackle El Nino Finesse 3/8
Mike have you got a picture of the jig ? I use alot of different brands, but I have a local guy who makes a 1/2 oz. & 1 oz. bullet jig that works really well, but I am using them up faster than he cares to make them. I have been fishing a jig 95% of the time, but I am going to fish different things this year, since everyone else is on the jig wagon right now.I did find a Lil' Hustler jig I think is a great jig.It costs $2.39 at bass pro shop here. I will post a picture of it. I also think Gene Larew salt craws are still the best trailer going, bite the tail off to the size you want the jig profile to be and go fish.P N J Â*http://www.lilhustler.com/product_pro_jig.shtml Â* That happens to be my favorite color to use with #15 the other color I like to throw. http://www.genelarew.com/?from=bassdozer.com P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-05, 09:45 PM   #17
morrow50
BassFishin.Com Member

P N J, Here is a pic of the Dave's Tournament Tackle El Nino Jig. They have alot more types of jigs as well.

I use it in 3/8 oz, they come in lighter weights as well. I go with the lighter weight when I want a slower fall in my presentation. Check out there entire line of jigs.

http://www.davesttackle.com/jigs/index.php

Some guys around here like there mega flip in there favorite color. They have a huge selection of colors but I always end up with blue and black ;D I like the Strike King Pro as well. I fished it last year to death

Mike
Old 03-22-05, 11:12 PM   #18
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Mike, Thanks, I was wondering if you thin the skirts out ? I like a thin skirt 32-34 strands, I like to use the trailer for the profile of the jig. A 60+ strand skirt, you will not even see the trailer profile.I use a Booyah jig alot late last year. I didn't think much of the Booyah products, but I must admit the jig is as good as anything I have used so far.I do not like the strike king pro model jig because in my opinion ,the hook size is on the small side.I am sure they are alright, because Denny Brauer designed it, I just prefer a big 4/0 or 5/0 hook, your trailer chunks can be bulky at times depending on the style and brand you use.I always thread the chunks on too, I do not want them to turn in the way of the point on a hookset.Alot of people I fish with hook through the chunk so it can twist arond 360 degrees, I never correct them ,but smile alot when they can't bring the fish to the boat because the fish wasn't hooked properly. ;D P N J
Old 03-22-05, 11:22 PM   #19
morrow50
BassFishin.Com Member

P N J,

I usually don't thin the skirts, I do however cut them back if they are really long past the hook. I always thin out the weedguard down to 7 or 8 strands at best. I shorten them a bit to right above the hook. I will sometimes take a pair of pliers and grab the hook at the bend and ever so slightly bend the hook outward.

To test my jigs, I place them in the palm of my hand and gently close my hand. If I feel the hook then I am good. If I squeeze and feel nothing but weedguard the jig needs adjusting ;D

I haven't tried the Booyah product yet, I saw them at Dick's Sporting Goods and they caught my eye but I was tight on cash. They also make some mice spinnerbaits too.

Mike
Old 03-22-05, 11:43 PM   #20
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Mike, I guess everyone has different opinions. ;D I very seldom touch the weedguard unless they are really heavy.Then I only cut 4 or 5 strands out.I like to think its better to leave the bristles longer.I beleive the longer they are ,the easier it is to flatten them to expose the hook point. I am not always correct though. P N J

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.