Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-04, 09:22 AM   #1

Default Soldiers Fishing Tournament

Greetings all,
My name is Sgt Blake, with the 300th Military Police Co. out of Ft Riley, KS. We have recently returned from a year in Iraq and I have been tasked with putting together a fishing tournament. The event will be open to the soldiers, their families and any local civilians interested in coming.
I am trying to make this event as great as I can for everyone. The only snag I am finding is that a lot of the soldiers and thier kids do not have fishing poles or tackle. I have lent out 7 of my own to interested soldiers, but can not spare any more. If anyone has any extra rods, reels or spare tackel that they are not using or that has just been taking up space in thier tackle box, we could use it.
Any persons that help us will recieve a Letter of Appreciation from out unit, some Iraqi currency and pictures if they request them. For more info about our company or to just see pictures of us in Iraq, go to www.mpdawg6.com and check us out. Any contributions can be sent to the following address:

Sgt James Blake
44815-2 Washington St
Ft Riley, KS 66442

Thank you all for any help you can give us.

Sincerly,

Sgt James Blake
Old 08-18-04, 11:02 AM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: Soldiers Fishing Tournament

OK, y'all-there is our answer to Lakeguide's thread. If that isn't a good cause I don't know what is. I'm in.

Sgt. Blake, I'll get a care package put together and on the way shortly.

The tournament will be held on Sept 3rd, so keep that in mind if you are sending anything.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-04, 12:40 PM   #3
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Rebbasser link=board=MessBoards;num=1092831720;start=0#1 date=08/18/04 at 10:02:20]OK, y'all-there is our answer to Lakeguide's thread. If that isn't a good cause I don't know what is. I'm in.

The tournament will be held on Sept 3rd, so keep that in mind if you are sending anything.[/quote]

Same here, they may not be the greatest quality, but they will come ready to fish. Everyone needs to bear down and help these folks out. They help us out everyday.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-04, 01:49 PM   #4
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

SGT. BLAKE,

I have a call in to the Garden City bass club to see if any of them can break loose and come to JC for the tourney. Possibly they would take a soldier as a not boater and chauffer him whereever he wants to fish, and give him access to the rods and tackle in the boat. I also have a friend in Manhattan that may also be interested in helping our with a boat and gear.
When I get answers back, I will e-mail you with what we have.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 08:27 AM   #5
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Rebbasser link=board=MessBoards;num=1092831720;start=0#1 date=08/18/04 at 10:02:20]OK, y'all-there is our answer to Lakeguide's thread. If that isn't a good cause I don't know what is. I'm in.

The tournament will be held on Sept 3rd, so keep that in mind if you are sending anything.[/quote]

If you can send these folks something, please do 8) Obviously anything you can send will go to someone who doesn't have any fishing gear. So anything you send will be greatly appreciated by the ones who receive them. Remember it's Sept 3rd

Lizards
Old 08-25-04, 12:14 PM   #6
danrw84
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to danrw84

I'll get some items out in the mail in the next day or so!
danrw84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 02:35 PM   #7
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey Jack-any updates?
Old 08-25-04, 03:56 PM   #8
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

REB,

My fishin buddy in Manhattan and I are going to go. I sent an e-mail to each one of the bass club members, individually by name, but have not heard a word. All but a couple of them have jobs and may have trouble getting off, One sells seed wheat & corn, so this would be his busiest season, another is a farmer, and he is going to be planting wheat about then, another is going to be on vacation with his family, plus the next weekend is the club Make-A-Wish foundation tournament. Add all this to the fact that it would be a 250 to 275 mi trip one way from Garden City.
My buddy and I may not fish, we may just take two soldiers in each boat and let them fish. It may be a little crowded with three trying to fish.

JackL
Old 08-25-04, 04:30 PM   #9
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Have you contacted Wal Mart or some of the other chain stores they may donate or give you guys equipment for the tournament. Maybe even Bass Pro Shops? Just a thought. Thank You for what ya'll doing. Was there the first time.
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 04:41 PM   #10
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

FIREMAN,

Sgt Blake advised that they have so much stuff donated that everyone who enters will go home with a prize of some kind. Sounds like the Junction City merchants and others have donated quite a bit of stuff. I am sure they hit up the local Wal-Mart stores.
I am looking foreward to it, it's been 40 years since Ive been around that many GI's. Hope they let us try the new MRI's, they have to beat the hell out of the old "RATS"!!!

JackL
Old 08-25-04, 07:42 PM   #11
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Jack, that's great! Wish I was closer-I'd hook up the boat and join y'all.
Old 08-25-04, 10:37 PM   #12
lil_bill_dance
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to lil_bill_dance

Great. This board has some of the best folks I have ever ran in to. Thanks so much for helping out. Lakeguide
lil_bill_dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-04, 09:28 AM   #13
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

As a retired army man I would lik to help but I feel I wouldn't be much help up here in Canada :-/.

I served shoulder to shoulder with th American troops in the bosnia war in 92, croatia,rawanda and also trained on quite afew bases in the states. So I'll do this for you I'll wish you good weather, fun times and a safe day.

"We all have to remember, it's the men and women that faught for our country to be able to go out and enjoy fishing"

It's about time we give back! God bless our troops who and where ever they are they need all the prayers they can get.

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-04, 06:28 PM   #14
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Today was the tournament for this does anyone know how it went? I sure hope they had a great day, and caught some fish. Just glad they made it back from Iraq, hope the rest of our men/women get to come home soon also. But they are just doing their job, which is to protect all of us. And 'm proud of everyone of them 8)

Lizards
Old 09-03-04, 06:33 PM   #15
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

couldnt have said it better lizards
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-04, 06:46 PM   #16
jman534
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jman534

Amen, Lizards
Tell ya what I'm gonna do. Contact the Public Information Officer at Fort Dix and see if any of the dog faces would be interested in coming fishing with me. Maybe you guys might want to do the same at any military bases in your area.
I can't put together a full fledged tourney but this could be my small contibution to the guys at the base where I took my basic training back in 1776.
jman534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-04, 08:32 PM   #17
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

LIZARDS,

I just got back from Milford Res. The early morning was not bad, but the wind came up about mid morning and the lake was whitecapping by noon.
My buddy and I met with Sgt Blake at the launch site this morning at 6:00 AM and stood around to see if anyone showed up that needed a boat and driver. Sgt Blake advised that the instructor at the MP training class would not let some of the guys out of class for a day, so they had enough boats to go around.
Looking at the list of prizes and raffle prizes, it looked like they had quite a few items donated. I heard Sgt Blake tell some of the guys that it was an all fish tournament, except trash fish were not going to be allowed. I guess they could bring in black bass, walleye, wipers, catfish and white bass, which helped I am sure. Bill (My fishing buddy) and I fished until about 1:00 and gave it up. I caught a 2 lb LM and a 1 1/2 lb SM, and a 8 inch bluegill. Bill caught a 14 inch LM and a 10 inch LM and a 5 lb channel cat. I did not see that it was worth fighting the wind.

JackL
Old 09-10-04, 07:57 PM   #18
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

this was the easiest thing to do Strap

Bump
Old 12-07-04, 04:50 PM   #19
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Well I know this was an old post, but last week I recieved a package from SGT James Blake, in it was a thank you letter, a couple of Iraqi(sp) bills(currency with ugly old Saddam), and a Certificate of Appreciation. He went out of his way to see I got it, since it was already supposed to have been done. I really didn't want anything, and said so when I sent in some stuff(really no big deal). But again it shows what kind of folks we have protecting us from the terrorists 8) Hopefully he will read this and know at least I APPRECIATE EVERYTHING, HE AND HIS FELLOW SERVICEMEN DO EVERY DAY

Lizards
Old 12-07-04, 05:25 PM   #20
FloridaBassAssassn
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FloridaBassAssassn

I'm really sorry I missed out on this, it sounds like it was a great cause.
I would have loved to send them a bunch of baits.
I'm curious how it came off and if it was a success?
If anyone has any info please share it.
Nothing is to good for the boys in the service of our country!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope they had a blast and got some toads.

I'd love to see some pictures too!!!!!!!!!!
FloridaBassAssassn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-04, 06:56 PM   #21
Worm_King
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Worm_King

Lizards,

Got mine in the mail too. Â*Should have seen me I was like a kid on Christmas day. Â*Like you I didn't expect anything in return but it was really nice. Â*Certificate and letter will be getting framed and going on my wall. Â* I echo your thoughts and really appreciate all that these guys and gals are doing for us. Â*Thank You!!!!! Does anyone still have Sgt. Blakes E-mail address? I have his mailing address at Ft. Riley but it sounds like he is shipping out again.
Worm_King is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.