Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-09, 03:21 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default This years Quantums?

I've been looking for a smaller reel than the HSTA I Vengeance rod, and I stumbled upon the new Quantum Catalyst.

Now I've never been a Quantum fan, and always felt sorry for the pros that where sponsored by them! But when I was looking into them, I found that they, along with all of the other new Quantums, where supposedly really good reels! And even one guy I found on some other forum said he would put the Catalyst above an STX, and on level with a chronarch! Anyone use them, or any of this year Quantums?

Oh btw, for those of y'all that wanna know, if I get the Catalyst, Vengeance combo, it'll look something like this:

Old 09-28-09, 04:02 PM   #2
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Definately a nice looking combo.

Never been interested in Quantums myself, but this year's look pretty nice.

BB
Old 09-28-09, 04:33 PM   #3
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post

Now I've never been a Quantum fan, and always felt sorry for the pros that where sponsored by them!
Wow, to think that a 5 time AOY, 2 time Bassmaster Classic winner has used nothing but Quantum's his whole life.... I wonder what KVD would say about that???

Anyway, I have two of the older ones (Tour PT and Energy PT) and love them both. My tournament partner has all Quantum's (spinning and BC's). They work great for me and would not trade them in.
I did see on TV this weekend one of the top 12 guys using this reel for pitching, so if works for a pro it should work for you.
Now on the other hand, I do have a lot of Revo's and will be getting a few more this winter....
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 08:09 PM   #4
Bassboss

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
Wow, to think that a 5 time AOY, 2 time Bassmaster Classic winner has used nothing but Quantum's his whole life.... I wonder what KVD would say about that???
Probably would have said he likes them, but only because the sponsor him. I was watching some older videos of KVD fishing (post his first classic win), and he was using Quantums, and that things was nosy casting and nosy reeling. Also last year Energy he was using, was pretty heavy (9.5oz I think). Why would someone with all kinds of money be using these? But no longer! These new ones from what I've seen on people using them, are silent as I've heard, and smoothest casting I've seen!

Last edited by Bassboss; 09-28-09 at 08:15 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 05:48 PM   #5
bigbasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigbasser
Thumbs up Catalyst

I picked up 2 burners awhile back and all I can say is SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!! I have always been a Shimano guy but the catalyst is only 7.5oz and smoooooth. bigbasser
bigbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 06:04 PM   #6
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

One thing I can say is I've never seen a more reliable company/product. I've broken a couple of their rods, and they replace them. They send parts for reels for free, and the reels are so reliable, I've never had a problem with any of them. This years are definitely different from previous. They're lighter and more finesse/ish. Still just as reliable in my opinion, which is so important when you're tournament fishing. These reels seem to not go down the drain like others I've tried where they're good for a year and then they loose their smoothness or castability. I recommend them.

They're really a steal when you find them on sale or ebay. I just found three new '09 energies at Gander for $129 a piece.
I've tried other companies too like daiwa, shimano, and abu garcia.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 06:13 PM   #7
JB

I've been using the Quantum baitcasters about fourteen years, they still all work just fine. I did add a couple new ones this year and enjoyed catching that five pounder at ky lake on my newest one.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 06:14 PM   #8
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbasser View Post
I picked up 2 burners awhile back and all I can say is SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!! I have always been a Shimano guy but the catalyst is only 7.5oz and smoooooth. bigbasser
Sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooleyen View Post
One thing I can say is I've never seen a more reliable company/product. I've broken a couple of their rods, and they replace them. They send parts for reels for free, and the reels are so reliable, I've never had a problem with any of them. This years are definitely different from previous. They're lighter and more finesse/ish. Still just as reliable in my opinion, which is so important when you're tournament fishing. These reels seem to not go down the drain like others I've tried where they're good for a year and then they loose their smoothness or castability. I recommend them.

They're really a steal when you find them on sale or ebay. I just found three new '09 energies at Gander for $129 a piece.
I've tried other companies too like daiwa, shimano, and abu garcia.
Awesome! I've seen that they have replacement parts that are not too $$$$, that's good!

Btw, I found a place where I can get them for 120.00..... free shipping too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I've been using the quantum baitcasters about fourteen years, they still all work just fine. I did add a couple new ones this year and enjoyed catching that five pounder at ky lake on my newest one.
Wo! anudda one! haha! (look at times posted)
Cool, even more reason I should get one!

Last edited by Bassboss; 09-29-09 at 06:16 PM. Reason: JB posted Anudda one! :D
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 06:44 PM   #9
jooleyen

What is this place?
Old 09-29-09, 06:52 PM   #10
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooleyen View Post
What is this place?
www.ohya.com

Where it says login at the bottom left corner, put "customer" for user and "preferred"for the password. Find the reel, put it in your cart, check da price.
Old 09-29-09, 07:24 PM   #11
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

My .02 worth is almost any reel anymore that makes an attempt is good compared to before. I think it’s because there is such an advancement in material and machining that it cost the same to manufacturer a good one as it does a bad one. Of course plastic crap not included. I would try one, besides when was the last time you really had a serious problem with a reel?
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 08:28 PM   #12
jooleyen

Nice Bassboss! But the energies are $144 on that site.
Old 09-30-09, 11:07 AM   #13
sac
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I love the heck out of my Energy PT! Works great and it has never let me down.
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 09:37 AM   #14
zooker

I have a slew of Quantums some 30+ years old. I don't really care if they make noise as long as they are smooth retrievers. I have several Energy reels. The only down side is the newer reels tend to loose the fancy paint jobs real fast..but since when does a ugly reel make a differance as long as it does it's job?

zooker
Old 10-01-09, 05:28 PM   #15
Bassboss

Cool thanks guys, I think I'll go with the reel! And sac.... I never woulda guessed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
i have a slew of quantums some 30+ years old.i don't really care if they make noise as long as they are smooth retrivers..i have several energy reels..the only down side is the newer reels tend to loose the fancy paint jobs real fast..but since when does a ugly reel make a differance as long as it does it's job?

zooker
I can agree!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.