Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-09, 01:33 PM   #1
csparks643
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Gill hooked fish

last night i went to my pond to mess around for a little bit, i threw a zoom finnese worm for 2 1/2 hours with 8 fish, and missed like 22, LOL, well i decided to pick up a rapala dt 4 crankbait in bluegill color, only caught 4 fish on a crank in my life, and none over a pound, i threw it out and reeled it all the way back, i stoped right at the lillypads/moss and BAM, thought i had a carp but when i got it up it was a 5-6 pound largemouth, biggest ever out of this pond, i looked and it hit the bait so hard it was hooked in the gills, i un hooked it and wadded out past all the grass and released it, i stayed for 20 more minutes and went back last night at 11 and didnt see it floating, do fish usally die when you hook them in the gills, the fish bleed quiet a bit, but i believe it swam off, i hope it lived, but idk
csparks643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-09, 01:57 PM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have had seen mixed results on a fish hooked through the gills. I would say that more than half have swam off with no issues, but some do end up as floaters a day or so later.
Old 05-26-09, 05:12 PM   #3
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I think it depends on the amount of damage done to the gills. But then again, not all fish that die float up. I'm thinking most don't end up as floaters. could be wrong, but I'm sure fish die everyday in any lake, but you don't see a ton of fish floating everywhere unless there's been an unaturall catastrophe like a big fish kill that ocasionally occurs. I've been fortunant enough to never have witnessed that kind of event on any lakes I fish though.
Old 05-26-09, 09:38 PM   #4
bigbasser

Send a message via ICQ to bigbasser
Thumbs up fish bleeding

Carry a bottle of Mountain Dew with you and pour some on the wound, it stops the bleeding. It doesn't matter if it's flat, I keep in the boat all the time. bigbasser
bigbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-09, 09:45 PM   #5
bassackwards

mountain dew ?? no way
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-09, 10:06 PM   #6
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Mountain Dew, Sprite, 7up...I believe the citric acid or some other chemical found in these types of drinks contracts the blood vessels, slowing the bleeding.

Hey, it's worth a shot, right?
Old 05-26-09, 10:13 PM   #7
champman

Default gill hooked fish

with gill hooked fish it is best to cut the hook off much like you would do if it was too deep in their mouth to retrieve safely, and leave it in the gill. it will rust out . i have read many times that 7up or sprite soda will help stop the bleeding when poored on a wounded fish
champman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-09, 10:25 PM   #8
bassackwards

thats cool never heard of that one
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-09, 12:52 AM   #9
stevomac59

I hate it when I make a fish bleed. I feel so bad... The other day I caught a little pounder but the hook went very deep and came out of his gill... He bled a lot, and on the way back to the ramp, he was already floating...

I've never heard of that Mountain Dew/Sprite thing, I will give it a shot next time.

I hope that fished survived though
Old 05-27-09, 01:44 AM   #10
csparks643
BassFishin.Com Member

Went back today, didnt see it floating no were, the hook feel right out lastnight, wasnt hooked bad, just bleed quiet abit, im pretty sure the fish quit bleeding right when i put him back in the water, i hope i catch it again soon to make sure it isnt dead but im pretty sure its swimmin right now, thanks guys
csparks643 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.