Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-05, 10:59 PM   #1
FLFishFan
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FLFishFan
Default Fish Scale

Can anybody tell me how much a fish scale costs? The kind you hook in the mouth. I thought i might buy one. Any pointers on good and bad ones would be nice. Thanks Â*8)
FLFishFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-05, 11:03 PM   #2
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default Re: Fish Scale

$6 dollars at bps.....best scale for your money...i dont think there is any reason to really pay $60 for some of those scales. but if you have the money...go for it. i think this is the best scale as far as im concerned. even comes with a built in tape measure....at first i was hesitant to buy it...i thought i had to get an expensive one, but that changed when i used this. and it goes up to 50lbs 8)

Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-05, 11:05 PM   #3
OKie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to OKie

I agree bf02. I have a digital one from walmart that works ok but the one in the picture will do the job perfectly!
OKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-05, 11:33 PM   #4
bassguy2004

I picked up a Rapala digital scale at Wal Mart for $29 dollars and some change.
Old 06-08-05, 12:46 AM   #5
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

Umm you can get scales for $4 or you can get them for $100, just matters what you are fishing for.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 12:17 PM   #6
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

In the event that you get the Berkley digital scales, they may not be correct. Test the scale and find out. If the thing is wrong, just send it back and they should replace it. Had one lock up on me and they replaced it, and yes my new ones are accurate.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 12:26 PM   #7
keeb
BassFishin.Com Member

o would rather go for digital.
Old 06-08-05, 09:10 PM   #8
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

I got a scale and tape measure for under $4 at WalMart.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-05, 09:30 PM   #9
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to okefenokee010

My scale is digital and I think I paid $15 for it. Don't spend a lot of money on a scale.
okefenokee010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 12:39 AM   #10
plug
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to plug

I bought one like 02 posted up there from wal-mart and i caught a 20 in. bass and weighed it...it said 2.5(kinda hard for me to believe but i dunno) i think i might buy a cheaper digital scale..............
plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 12:54 AM   #11
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

I heard some where's that if you intend on catching a world record fish (any type) you have to get your scale registered if you going to catch and release ,and you also need a photo. If you can't make it to shore. Any one else hear of this?

I would like to know the info,not that I'm going to catch a record fish. but it's that useless knowledge thing.

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 10:37 AM   #12
notabassmaster
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to notabassmaster

That standard Wal-Mart scale will be about as accurate as Ray Charles throwing darts. With the technology and advances in digital these days, and with most carrying a price tag of under $30, why would you buy anything else? How the hell would you read that Wal-Mart scale in a boat that is rocking in 25mph wind? Seems the needle would move as the weight of the fish moved back and forth. In a tournament, I have to know the EXACT weight immediately, and identify the fish before putting it in the well so I can cull the small ones. Sorry, but I don't have time to guess or wait on the needle to stop moving. Sometimes an ounce can be worth some serious cash! Just my 2 cents
notabassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 03:49 PM   #13
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

actually, that scale pictured is very accurate...atleast the one i have now....the first one i got was off...but i got a new one free of charge, and my friend had a digital scale, and we both weighed the same fish, the weight was the same....im a shore fishermen, so it does me fine...and i have used it in boats with the boat rocking and it still worked fine...the needle didnt move as the boat moved. i would just rather pay $5 and save that $30 on bait especially if the scale is accurate...and has a tape measure in it. so you guys can go pay your $30 for a digital...but i would rather use it to buy more baits.....
Old 06-10-05, 08:24 AM   #14
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Ask some of the members here, they have a scale , and never BELIEVE it's accurate even after using it, so they guesstimate the weight, which is always much more fun : Heck a decent scale takes all the lying out of it

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 08:54 PM   #15
plug
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to plug

but is it even possible for a 20 in. long fish to weigh 2.5 lbs., i mean it'd hafta be pretty skinny.....and the fish was about normal size around, didn't look big didn't look small(i shoulda measured the girth) >
plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 09:09 AM   #16
ChampioN
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ChampioN

Hi Guys,

I have a rapala digital scale with the lip grip. The scale is right on, I had it tested at the post office. Put some rocks in a shoe box, tied closed with string and weight it with the scale, go to the post office and ask them to weigh the box.
One problem I had with my scale is the blue lips that come with it. They are made of rubber or plastic or something and you put them over the metal lips so when you grap the fish he is not hurt. The problem is the fish slips out. I had 3 fish fall off with the lips on. Took them off and have not had a fish slip off.
I paid about 25 - 30 dollars at sports authority in NJ
ChampioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 12:00 PM   #17
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

Quick question, what is the correct why to weigh the bass? Are you supposed to use the "hook" thing to lip them, or what? ???

Also, I got a very cheap scale because:

1. I really don't care that much about weight
2. I don't fish tourney
3. I don't fish in 25 mph wind
4. $30 can buy me enough slug-gos for a year!
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 02:54 PM   #18
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

your not suposed to peirce the skin.....either in the corner or directly in the middle of the lower jaw you can slide that ''hook'' and let the hang there....no peircing is involved 8)

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.