Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-07, 03:22 PM   #1
airskank
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to airskank
Default Storing Soft Plastics? / Retrieving Spinnerbait

1. For storing my soft plastics should i keep them in the bags i bought them in? or is it ok to just put them in the organizer boxes?

2. I hear everyone talking about spinnerbait and how they catch fish on it... but i haven't caught anything ever that hasn't been on a senko. How should i retrieve it? I'm just using a 1/8 oz double willow blade booyah but with no hits or anything.
airskank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-07, 04:26 PM   #2
InEccess
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess

1. I just leave my soft plastics in the bags they came in. I had some old tackle boxes where the worms melted to the plastic trays. Since then, I've been leaving them in their bags and carrying them with me in my tackle bag.

2. One of my major confidence baits is a Spinnerbait. If I'm fishing in open water (I am a co-angler, sometimes I don't have a choice on where I'm fishing), I'll cast it out and let it sink for about 3 seconds. I start my retrieve somewhat slowly. After about 5 feet, I'll speed the retrieve up for another couple of feet, then I'll pump my rod almost like I'm jig fishing. That speeds the bait up and then makes it fall on a slack line. That's usually when I'll get hit. If I'm fishing laydowns, or sticks sticking up out of the water, I'll cast just beyond the stucture and make contact with the stick/laydown on the retrieve. REMEMBER, you have to speed up your retrieve as your bait's making contact with the wood, otherwise, the bait will roll over and more often then not, get snagged. After you bump the piece of cover, let the bait fall for a second or two. The bass will see this as a minnow who just knocked himself silly and will jump at the easy meal.

I hope those suggestions helped.
Old 10-29-07, 04:39 PM   #3
airskank
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to airskank

It does very much ty
airskank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-07, 06:32 PM   #4
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Hey Air, I have a small addition to your post. For winter, how should worms be stored when not in use? Should I just leave them in the bags, add water, throw away? This is my first season bass fishing and I haven't learned yet what to do with them when I don't use them for an extended period of time.

-ll
Old 10-29-07, 06:32 PM   #5
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by InEccess View Post
1. I just leave my soft plastics in the bags they came in. I had some old tackle boxes where the worms melted to the plastic trays. Since then, I've been leaving them in their bags and carrying them with me in my tackle bag.
The old plastic that old boxes were made out of would melt to the worms. New tackle boxes don't do that. I still keep mine in the bag I bought em in though. That way, when I run out, I know exactly what I had if I had lots of luck and want to get more.

BB
Old 10-29-07, 07:30 PM   #6
zooker

storing worms for winter WHAT a concept-why???- i use plastics alot in the colder months flukes and critter baits work well..

then again i never stop bassfishing all winter..

zooker
Old 10-29-07, 07:43 PM   #7
lunker-lander

Have pity for me Zook. We up here have "bass season", and "ice-up". Any ideas on storing them when not in use for "winter"?

-ll
Old 10-29-07, 08:14 PM   #8
Rebbasser

1. I leave them in the original bags and stuff them in a worm binder without using the ring system that come with them-I can carry more that way. Putting them in boxes is fine, but it makes them a whole lot bulkier.

2. Slow rolling-retrieving it just fast enough to turn the blades-burning it back in so the blades make a bulging wake on the surface and everything in between. Experiment with retrieves-fast, slow, yo-yo, etc. Let the fish tell you what they want. One place they really shine is in windy conditions. Fish the bank the wind is blowing into and you can catch a bunch.
Old 10-29-07, 09:51 PM   #9
Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker-lander View Post
Have pity for me Zook. We up here have "bass season", and "ice-up". Any ideas on storing them when not in use for "winter"?
-ll
We can bass fish up til the end of December! I have never been fishing this late in the year before, but I plan to keep fishing into December if possible. Got the Kent Lake league tomorrow as a matter of fact.
Anyway I had a lot of mine in Plano 3700 boxes last year and they are fine. Just don't mix them since certain soft plastic baits will melt the others.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-07, 11:37 AM   #10
lunker-lander

Alright, thanks Bend. We still have to get out! Anytime good for you is good for me...

-ll
Old 10-30-07, 10:54 PM   #11
carolina-rig-01

i just leave mine in the package they come in. then i will divide them up and put them in big ziploc bags labeled "salt craws", "lizards", "senkos", "creatures", and so on. it makes it pretty easy to find what you are looking for and to keep stock of what you need to replace. no need to do anything special with them over the winter months, except for maybe tear a ton of them up by catching fish.
Old 10-31-07, 05:56 PM   #12
zooker

note date on the picture..

nuff said

zooker
Old 11-01-07, 04:01 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Zooker, Like LL said, in the northern states, we have a little thing called ICE. Kind of hard to catch fish if your horny toads are ice skating.

BB
Old 11-01-07, 06:53 PM   #14
zooker

it IS called ice fishing for a reason. a spinner bait on a windless tipup has been known to catch pike and bass..bb144 your forgetting i lived in ny for 20+ years. and fished about year round then so don't hand me that BULL!!!

zooker
Old 11-01-07, 08:22 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Zooker, first: I didn't know your lived in NY. second: I'll have to try that spinnerbait thing, normally we use larvae and wigglers ice fishing.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.