Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-05, 05:23 PM   #1
SouthernLrgMouth
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to SouthernLrgMouth
Default New Pond

I was wondering what i should use in a secluded pond with grass around the edges and no vegetation in the center. the middle of the pond is about 20-25 ft deep. i have only caught one out of there on a rattle-trap.
SouthernLrgMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-05, 06:47 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

This time of year I'd throw a crankbait and a spinnerbait.
a minus 1 Manns for just over the weeds, and almost any shad looking crankbait or ratLtrap......also a white and chartruse spinnerbait .check out this good lookin one
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-05, 08:46 PM   #3
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Fishing from shore or boat?

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-05, 07:53 PM   #4
justin
BassFishin.Com Member

we're fishing from the shore at this new pond.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-05, 08:35 PM   #5
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
we're fishing from the shore at this new pond.
There's lots of things you can do. One thing I do is cast a soft plastic (worm, Senko, jerkbait, tube, etc.) beyond the grass, then bring it back to the edge and let it sink along the edges. Depending on the type and denseness of the grass, you may need some fairly stout tackle to bring a hooked fish through that stuff.

If the stuff is not a solid mat, you can use the same soft plastics over the grass and let them sink into holes. Also don't forget weedless topwaters.

Good luck.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-05, 08:39 PM   #6
flachristopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Marty my used to be grass mat was soo thick you could bring any bait over the top of it and when I Fished a worm along the edges and got a fish I had no problems getting them out and across the mat with 10lb test and a medium rod. But also I just remeber the biggest was probably about a 1.5 a half. So depending on the size of the fish in your pond. You might wanna up your line test.

Chris
flachristopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-05, 12:33 AM   #7
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherkeene9
Marty my used to be grass mat was soo thick you could bring any bait over the top of it and when I Fished a worm along the edges and got a fish I had no problems getting them out and across the mat with 10lb test and a medium rod. But also I just remeber the biggest was probably about a 1.5 a half. So depending on the size of the fish in your pond. You might wanna up your line test.

Chris
You're fishing in the wrong place. You need to hop some plastics, or frogs on the mat, or get a jig or heavy t-rig through the mat. The bigger fish are under the mat. They will blast through it to get you plastics I promise you. This is absolutley my favorite way to fish. If there is a mat, I hit it with plastics being hopped on top. Keep your rod tip high, and use heavy equipment. Wait till you feel the fish. They may miss it 2-3 times on the retireve before finally getting it.

Lizards
Old 10-31-05, 12:14 PM   #8
chuck n
BassFishin.Com Member

I agree with Lizards. My favorite hole was literally covered with a thick mat this summer. I threw flukes and frogs. There was no way the bass could see these baits but they detected movement and or vibrations. We caught a lot of 4 and 5 lb bass in this slop. The most important factor here is that most people will ignore this water. I love it!!!!!!
Old 11-06-05, 01:26 AM   #9
justin
BassFishin.Com Member

so yeah i've found out so far at our pond they like the watermelon zoom tubes and thats it. I just bought the new gambler crawdaddy's but i haven't got to use them yet. the only bass i've caught was with the tube and it was a nice 4 lbs.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-05, 11:50 PM   #10
Fresh Water Redfish
BassFishin.Com Member

there out for those tubes and rattle-traps seem to work and spinner baits but we fished out there and we have tried a whole bunch of times but plastic worms dont work out there but tubes do
Fresh Water Redfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-05, 08:27 PM   #11
fishin_dude
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Hey JB, what brand of spinnerbait is that? I need that bait!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.