Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-06, 10:59 PM   #1
flfireman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Man Repairs Cost $$$$$

Well, after three weeks in the shop (3 weeks). I finally got my boat back to the tune of $439.00. This was for 100 hr service and to fix a cracked hydraulic line. $270.00 for labor- need a new job- 3.6 hrs labor time. They claim they were busy, so thats why I was out of the water for so long. Is this the going rate for you guys? Man, $75.00 an hour labor rate, my motorcycle is only $35.00 an hour. Oh well, with the water level so low I guess it was a good time not to fish. Going out Thursday for a day of Stick Marsh monsters hopefully.
Old 06-13-06, 11:01 PM   #2
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

you probably could have done the work in half the time at half the cost.
that sounds about right for labor rate.here it's higher i believe.
Old 06-14-06, 04:36 AM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

$70-80 per hour laybor charges-this is normal..

zooker
Old 06-14-06, 10:12 AM   #4
Bender

My local boat service center is at $92.00/hour. They are usually 3 weeks out to look at a boat also. My boat will never go there, I can't afford it!
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 10:53 AM   #5
Rebbasser

Ah, the definition of a boat: A hole in the water you throw money into.

I hear you, amigo. It took them three weeks to fix a bent trolling motor shaft that I just got back. I bought a shop manual for my engine and any work on it I can do I take care of it myself. A lot of it I have been able to do, and I am not mechanically inclined if you know what I mean .
Old 06-14-06, 06:30 PM   #6
zooker

watch them shop manuals at times there is a something left out..found one in haynes for my chevy truck. says:section 9-14 wheel bearing removal bearing repack see section 2-9. go to 2-9 says for wheel bearing removal bearing repack see section 9-14..hmmm screw it i think i know how. 4 beers and a 8 pound go devil later i got the wheel bearing off the spindel is warped..

zooker
Old 06-15-06, 07:21 AM   #7
1FASTLASER

Thats the going rate. You now understand why I learned how to wrench on these motors. Thats also the reason I dont mind sharing my knowledge on these. I HATE paying mechanic bills when I can do it myself. In fact I hate paying ANYONE for working on anything of mine.
Old 06-15-06, 05:57 PM   #8
zooker

well till it comes to working on new cars/trucks. then i am overly glad to pay some one else to do it..the new stuf SUCKS

zooker
Old 06-16-06, 09:32 AM   #9
flfireman

Amen to that. I can rebuild a engine, but with all the crap on them now it might as well be chinese and braile.
Old 06-17-06, 06:14 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

What alot of people tend to forget is under neath all that chit is still basically the same thing that when we where younger it never slowed us up to get in there and tear it apart. The engine itself is still the same. The only thing that has changed is the induction and possibly the heads. With a merchanical failure if a person takes the time to take pics and take notes as to the location of the 6,792 sensors he can still fix a ring problem or a bearing failure r whatever. Now if its a electrical problem just go to your local parts supplier and order the Super Duper Engine Analyzer 2000 and go to college for 4 years to learn how to hook it up. When done you wont give a damn bout that car you will just sit back in your shop and charge people $200 to tell them that the fan module just went out. Thats why your engine is over heating and the part costs $1042.69 to change it out. $792.00 and 1.5hrs labor and $28.50 shop costs. And you wonder why I learned how to do this crap. Whew that took along time to type what I really wanted to say was "DONT NEED NO STINKING ELECTRONICS" LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-17-06, 06:24 PM   #11
zooker

yeah but it would take average 2 hours to get all the gaurds the he!! out of the way... just to change plugs.. i had a mercury sable wagon with the big v-6 the moter was side ways and tilted took no less than 4 hours to change spark plugs..2 hours of which required you to lay over the top of the moter to get to the bottom plugs.. compair to it a boat moter is easy..

zooker
Old 06-19-06, 09:05 PM   #12
nb1226
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nb1226

I feel your pain,mine is in the shop right now too. Im still waiting to see what the final tally will be. I had the impellar get eaten up by gas, and the trim motor decided to go kaput
nb1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-06, 08:30 PM   #13
Christopherkeene9

Thats pretty good for Florida. Florida has a lot higher rates than most other states being the 2nd state with the most boat registrations which California is 1st just due to the amount of people there compared to Florida.
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-06, 11:04 AM   #14
mymomisbecky
BassFishin.Com Active Member

ive got a small hole i need repaired, 700 was the estimate... i think ill do it myself.
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-06, 10:47 PM   #15
nb1226
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nb1226

Finally got mine back $375 lighter in wallet, but at least I know its in good shape
nb1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-06, 06:56 PM   #16
geno
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to geno
Default Blame it on the EPA

The EPA is the reason for all this crap, I agree my HPDI is a lot more efficant and uses less oil and fuel but why all the electronics to make it happen. So we can,t work on them. Get something on your mech, I let him hunt turkey an deer on my place which in turn I get cheeper parts and labor is free most of the time. O yea keep cold beer for him helps a lot also.
Geno
geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-07, 02:13 PM   #17
commanche
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geno View Post
The EPA is the reason for all this crap, I agree my HPDI is a lot more efficant and uses less oil and fuel but why all the electronics to make it happen. So we can,t work on them. Get something on your mech, I let him hunt turkey an deer on my place which in turn I get cheeper parts and labor is free most of the time. O yea keep cold beer for him helps a lot also.
Geno
what is happening now the owners are telling the mechanics if they help, they are gone..

sad,isnt it..we have motorcycle site and we show how to tear down some repairs ..maybe that would be something for here but you need a couple of people that are good at it and can put pictures on..or send you CD..

i had friend who sent me a CD he made on how
to tear my 1100 spirit motor apart..i sent him 30 dollars for his info, would have cost me 600 to have mechanic do it..
commanche is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.