Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-05, 12:51 PM   #1
new2fish
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to new2fish
Default Spawning Bass

Hey guys. My question is simple i guess. Where do bass spawn? Ive read aht they spawn in shallow areas with some cover and low current. Is this true? Also being in the north east( south eastern pennsylvania) when do they spawn? Ive been hitting the shallow areas a lot latley with stumps and all i see is carp. lots of carp! they dont dig spinner baits and crank baits thouhg haha. All help is appreciated!

Steve
new2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-05, 01:16 PM   #2
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: Spawning Bass

Well what you read is correct. LM bass like to spawn in 2'-6' of water. They will clear out a round spot for there bed. As for when will they spawn, probably sometime from now until the end of may. It all depends on water temps, and the moon cycles. Here in Indiana they will usually spawn around the first full moon in may, but it hasn't always happend then. Depends on the water temps also. I actually am thinking this year it will be pretty soon. Now don't think just becasue there's a full moon they will automatically spawn. Other variables will play into it, such as o2 in the water etc... If you do catch a bedding bass, please return it asap, so it can continue to guard it's nest. And different parets of each lake will have spawn usually a few days apart. So you will always have pre-spawn, spawn, and post spawn fish around. It's my favorite time to fish during the year.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-05, 08:28 PM   #3
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

The selection of nest sites begin when water temperatures reach 60º F, and eggs are laid when the water temperatures are at 62-65º F. Smallmouth bass spawning usually occurs at water temperatures between 62-64º F, but they have been found spawning at 53º F.
I've usually found the Dogwoods blooming indicate the bass spawn as well as anything. The spring conditions will have everything to do with all of this and making the call is general at best.
Smallmouth and largemouth overlap in spawning sites and depth. The same prime nesting habitat will be used by bass, crappie and sunfish. Subtle preferences apportion the real estate among the participants. Largemouth seek out a shallow, rocky area at the base of a tree, bush or some other brushy cover. The bush does not have to be all that plush - just a stump or log is often enough. Crappie and bluegill really need substantial overhead cover before placing a nest. Dense foliage is a high priority for both panfish. Smallmouth and green sunfish really do not care about brush and key in on just the right rocky structure. They will often use a ledge or boulder for overhead cover but not always.
Bass spawning lasts for about 2 months. The first spawn is triggered by rapidly warming temperatures. Eggs and sometimes young fry from the first nest may be lost to bad weather. Cooling temperatures cause guarding male bass to leave the nest until it warms again. The second spawn happens about two weeks after the first and is usually the biggest and most productive. Additional nesting occurs at two to three week intervals thereafter, depending on weather conditions. Fry from the later spawns are more likely to be lost to predation by dragonfly larvae and other predacious insects which creep onto the nest and are not apparent or noticed by the guarding male. Those fry that do survive from the last spawn are shorter, smaller and less able to compete with siblings that were born a month or two earlier.

jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 05:47 PM   #4
new2fish
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to new2fish

Thanks guys! looks like im gonna have to keep an eye on any cove or shallow area with bushes or logs or stumps etc. I always catch and release, jsut enough time to get the hook out and measure it then back in she goes. Thanks for the help all.
new2fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.