Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-05, 01:36 PM   #1
RayBob
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to RayBob
Default The Quest Out West!

After reading an article in BassMaster about these "Monster Bass" out west, I've come to the conclusion that since the Florida strain of bass in not native to that region, the World record (when it is caught) should have an asterisk beside it.

What you think?
RayBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 01:57 PM   #2
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: The Quest Out West!

Why because it was stocked? Just about every bass fisherie I know of had to be stocked sometime. I don't have a problem with that, and just remember a lot of those Florida bass were also stocked in Mexico, and lots of other lakes. California obviuosly has a great place for them to grow, and I imagine that some of the regulations also help the fish get bigger? So if it's caught in South Africa is it also going to have an asterick? I know it won't come from Indiana even if we had the Florida strain of bass(if they would even majke it through the winters). So I have no problem with wherever it's caught. You still have to catch it, and it still has to be able to grow that big. Now if it's not a true wild fish(an aqarium or pet fish) then by all means it shouldn't count. But since they now are doing DNA testing, it's pretty hard to grow it at home.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 02:09 PM   #3
RayBob
BassFishin.Com Member

I see where you are coming from. I just hate the fact they are stocking these lakes every week during the winter with rainbow trout. That’s a hell of a lot of protein. Are there even any gators out there? If not they have no natural predators.
Old 03-07-05, 02:35 PM   #4
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

I don't have a problem with stocking bass in regions they arent native to, and if they should reach a record in a natural setting thats fine by me. I do think the California stocking program is unatural, and because of this if a record bass is caught that is full of trout it will at least have an asterisk in my mind.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 02:55 PM   #5
dave_in_fl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to dave_in_fl

The books dont say florida strain largemouth bass, only largemouth bass. wouldnt be much of a "world" record if only fish that had natural bloodlines of the florida strain were eligible. I also don't have a problem with the trout stocking, my only gripe is that they dont do that near me ;D
dave_in_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 03:21 PM   #6
RayBob
BassFishin.Com Member

I wonder if a bass in my neck of the woods would strike one of those huge Trout replica lures?
Old 03-07-05, 08:41 PM   #7
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Raiders4Life link=board=MessBoards;num=1110213397;start=0#5 date=03/07/05 at 13:21:00]I wonder if a bass in my neck of the woods would strike one of those huge Trout replica lures?[/quote]

Well only one way to find out. But remember, when fishing those, the guys pretty much won't catch anything or a HAWG, so if you don't have the patience for not catching anything, use smaller ones. I would also say, that you can paint them in shad, therefor matching what you have in FL. I know cullins8 does good work from what I've seen on his repainting of lures, so does Chip, and of course Robzilla. Lots of folks would do it for ya, for a price of course

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 09:53 PM   #8
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

No asterisk. It's still a largemouth and living in the wild. Don't punish a record-setting fisherman because California has good conditions and a DNR that knows how to manage fisheries for big bass.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 10:01 PM   #9
gonefishy2002
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gonefishy2002

[quote author=Marty link=board=MessBoards;num=1110213397;start=0#7 date=03/07/05 at 19:53:30]No asterisk. It's still a largemouth and living in the wild. Don't punish a record-setting fisherman because California has good conditions and a DNR that knows how to manage fisheries for big bass.[/quote]
What he said.

I've noticed on other boards that most of the people that really have an issue with this are from Florida, what's up with that? ???
gonefishy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 10:34 PM   #10
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

There is an asterisk because I say so! ;D

We arent talking about the wild in the least. In the wild fish actually have to hunt for food. Animals like bass eat not just when they are hungry, they eat whenever they get a good chance. This means if they are given an unatural source of food, be it a mechanical fish feeder or a trout stocking program that is aimed at letting the fish gourge themeselves, you have created an unnatural situation with unnatural fish.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 10:35 PM   #11
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Do you realize that Largemouth Bass aren't "native" to almost anywhere outside of the South East US? They aren't "native" in lakes? They aren't "native" to farm ponds. If you fish for Largemouth Bass, chances are it was originally stocked. As a matter of fact the lake you fish in is probably man-made too.

Scroll down to the "Life History" section here.

http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/kopec/tr...outh-bass.html

Sorry people. A world record is just that. A world record. You'd think for all the whinning that goes on about the trout stuffed bass, that the world record would be about 50 lbs by now. Ever since Dave Zimerlee caught his fish about 20 years ago, we've heard that California was "force feeding" trout to bass. If they are it hasn't worked, cause the record is still 22 lbs and 4 ozs. George Perry. Montgomery Lake, Georgia.

Frankly I personally doubt that record, but it's on the books. The fact that I don't believe it doesn't change it. You don't have to believe it if someone catches one out of a trout stocked lake in California either if you don't want to, but it's still going in the record book.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 10:42 PM   #12
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

odviously somethins happenin to not allow the bass to grow that big or the fisherman just cant catch them, because if theres a lake stock with trout u would think that the area the trout is put into would be full of bass just waiting for the next batch to come in and any angler can take a replica of a trout and throw it in there in get a ''hawg''. and they probally do that but they arnt gettin world record fish. so if one does come out of there then by all means its a world record and should be treated like that. so any angler over there is gunna have to work for that fish. cause its not like anglers are pullin out records there all the time.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 11:25 PM   #13
Big_Drew
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Big_Drew

Back when i was a kid, mid-seventy's, There was an article in Fishing Facts magazine about bass in Honduras and Guatamala accompanied with underwater photo's. Â*They had several underwater photo's of bass they guestimated were around twenty five pounds and one that fisheries biologist were positive was a 30lb.+ fish. Â*Sure wish i still had that issue.
Big_Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 12:20 AM   #14
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

basstech, just point me in the direction and u will see that bass on all the papers. ;D
Old 03-08-05, 12:32 AM   #15
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Then again do bass grow that big being caught and tossed back in? Im a firm believer animals dont get that big by being stupid. Look at any category of fish or wildlife records. For the most part catching or shooting a record has been a lot of homework and luck. Im sure there is a record in Cali, Im also sure theres a record in some S American country or in Texas,Fl,Georgia, Carolinas. Any water could possibly hold a record. I know for a fact there is a canal near my home that is private property that has been getting stocked for ywears. Friend of mine fishes it pretty regularly and so does the semi-pro who lives on it. They have caught and released 12-15 pound bass, with some bigger ones not making in the boat. Who knows where it will come from? Whats gonna be funny is when some local yocal new guy catches it on a Zebco he bought at K Mart to fish with his kid for the weekend. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 12:36 AM   #16
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

that would be halarious ;D some guy thats never fished in his life with his fancy new fishing clothes and his new zebco just fishin to impress his kid. that would be great.
Old 03-08-05, 01:25 AM   #17
Big_Drew
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Big_Drew

That would even seem typical. Growing up and even now sometimes, it seems it's always the the novice who gets the big fish. I could tell some (truthfull) stories about that. :-[ went fishing again yesterday and got skunked. Not even any shorts. first time since probably this time last year. :-[. They had thier first tournament of the year and 3 limits came in (buddy style...4 fish limit) and 14.6something pounds won it. Pleanty of boats blanked but I bet they all at least caught shorts.
Big_Drew is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.