Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-05, 06:15 PM   #1
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1
Default tournament

I'm fishing a tournament on feb. 13, just a few weeks. This weekend there is going to be a big bassmaster event on the harris chain. How will this event affect the fish two weeks after it? What should I try to use in this situation. Also the bass should be in spawn by the time of my tournament, but not really this weekend.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-05, 06:25 PM   #2
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20
Default Re: tournament

use lizards or something bluegill colored. I doubt that long after the bassmaster tourney that there will be much problem. Does the lake get normally alot of pressure that this time of year? If so, downsize and take it slow. If not, and since they will be on beds, I assume the water is over 60 degrees. If no pressure, try shallow cranks in a bluegill color or a crawdad color. Also try a floating lizard if the water is less than 3
feet deep. Stop it right on top of the bed.

Good luck.
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-05, 08:22 PM   #3
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

The bass are gonna be bedding and under pressure probably. I've got no shallow cranks.
Old 02-01-05, 01:01 AM   #4
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Cut the lips down on some of them. You might want to ask Zilla or Chip or Zook on how far though. BassBoss most of the lakes down here are fairly shallow. I dont know for sure if I own a crank that dives deeper then 10 ft. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-05, 01:57 AM   #5
ALAN_RAMSEY
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ALAN_RAMSEY

hey just an idea

instead of butchering your cranks maybe try a slow stop and go retreave to try to keep it in your target depths.

i would try looking in deep cover areas just in case they are freaked out

just minor thoughts
ALAN_RAMSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-05, 10:45 AM   #6
danrw84
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to danrw84

Check out the Deep Cranking thread started by Robzilla. Â*As he states in that post, you don't have to have shallow running crankbaits to fish shallow water. Â*And some times it's better to run a deep crank in the shallows because of the disturbance it makes, causing reactionary strikes. Â*

I also read an article recently, possibly in Bassmaster, about using drop shot rigs on bedding bass. Â*Especially if you are site fishing...it allows you to keep the bait hovering on the beds and keeping it off the bottom and puts the bait at eye level with the fish. Â*You have to adjust your rig to the situation but it sounds logical to me. Â*If you end up site fishing try using brighter colored baits like white, pink ,yellow...makes it easier to see when you get a strike.

You might also try smaller spinnerbaits in these areas.

Best of luck!
danrw84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-05, 03:02 PM   #7
zooker___________.
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zooker___________.

Mann's Baby 1 0-1ft thats what I hear anyway
zooker___________. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-05, 09:21 PM   #8
TheBassMan
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to TheBassMan

Yeah, that Mann's bait is good and a Storm Subwart goes real shallow too. Alos, you might want to try downsizing a little if they are real spooky. Using very natural colors may help too. Good Luck.

Catch em up
Brian
TheBassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-05, 05:10 PM   #9
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Well I found out yesterday that the bassmaster tournament is only one week before mine. I have a rough idea of different lures I plan on using. Shallow cranks, small spinnerbaits, finnesse worms (includes senkos), and finnesse creatures. And of course cause the bass are spawning have one rod rigged up with a lizard.
Old 02-02-05, 11:17 PM   #10
bennersj
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bennersj

I think I would try something different than cranks and spinnerbaits because after the bassmaster tournament those bass will saying "Hey look there goes another terminator". One thing I would have tied on is a No. 11 Original Rapala jerkbait black back/white belly and sides. I think this is one of the best baits for the spawn because the bass don't see a lot of jerkbaits. I have caught my biggest spawning bass with this jerkbait.

Good Luck in the tourney
bennersj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-05, 11:55 PM   #11
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

You gotta remember I'm fishing in fl so I gotta use something relatively snagless. Â*I figure I'd go with 1/8 oz spinnerbaits cause durig the bassmaster tournament the fish saw a bunch of 1/2 oz spinnerbaits and something smaller would be different. Â*If the water is clear I'd go with a finnesse worm cause it is good for a lot of pressure, and it doesn't have too much action. Â*If it is really stained or kinda money, I'll go w/ a finnesse creature cause its still a finnesse bait, but has more action. Â*Also cause its the spawn I've gotta try a lizard of course. Â* Shallow square-bill cranks would be good too, cause they're relatively weedless. Â*I may just try and split-shot rig some floating lizards, having a small weight and keeping it just above the beds I think would work really well in this situation. Â*Of course Im gonna have other tackle to use if nothing ulse works. Â*
Old 02-03-05, 01:21 AM   #12
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

If the Bass are bedding, then I have 2 words for ya. WHITE LIZARDS

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.