Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-05, 08:07 PM   #1
CatfishHunter
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to CatfishHunter
Default Fish the aggressive bite or methodically?

The scenario: Spring time, small mouth are in a pre-spawn pattern. Your on a rocky man made resivior with mostly small mouth -- some large mouth --. The fish are extremely aggressive and you know that in most spots there are going to be fish. Some of these fish are going to come easy others you have to spend some time working up.

This question is for all, but the most experienced anglers comments would really help -- mainly those who have been in tournaments with this kind of scenario--.

You have done your homehork and know the lake well, during pre-fish your spots have produced well but you have too many spots to hit in 8 hours. Do you fish for the aggressive bite and run from spot to spot trying to pick up the fish that are going to be easliy caught or do you try and narrow down your selection of spots to methodically work every bite out of each hole?
CatfishHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-05, 10:51 PM   #2
ALAN_RAMSEY
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ALAN_RAMSEY
Default Re: Fish the aggressive bite or methodically?

well I got an Idea. but you only want the "experienced" anglers to answer so I'm going to move on :'(

2canbass
ALAN_RAMSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-05, 10:59 PM   #3
ALAN_RAMSEY
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ALAN_RAMSEY

COUGH!!COUGH!!DEEPER!!COUGH!!COUGH!!
oops* :-*
ALAN_RAMSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-05, 11:05 PM   #4
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

It matters which fish are biting. If the big fish are the ones that are really aggresive, then go after them with an aggressive presentation. If the smaller bass are really aggressive, approach things a bit differently. Try to catch a quick limit first thing, so go after the aggressive bite. but if the big bass are being a bit more sluggish, use different methods to catch them. Be observational and look for any changes in the fishes behaviors.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-05, 12:35 AM   #5
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

I'd go for a limit first, and then start looking for a kicker fish or two. Not many smallies in my neck of the woods, but if they are the most agressive I'd try to limit them out and then look for a heavier LM to anchor it.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-05, 01:43 AM   #6
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

I'd have to go with Reb, get you a limit then go lunker hunting ;D If while your hopping spot-to-spot you find a place with bigger fish, I'd slow down and fish it more methodical.
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-05, 03:55 AM   #7
OhioBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Smallies........I'd go with a spinner bait with painted blades....orange or red......but that has nuttin to do with the qeustion
OhioBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-05, 12:08 PM   #8
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass

Bottom line in a tournament is that you need to fill your livewell. I would milk run to my spots to pick off the active fish. If they are active you should have no prblem putting 5 in the well, after that, get methodical.
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-05, 07:43 PM   #9
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

yeah during a tourny work fast and furious till you limit out then start the methodic bass fishing to get he kicker fish.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-05, 10:38 PM   #10
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Only done a few tourneys, was told by a few well to do fisherman the same as above. Tourneys are time and numbers. Get what you have to have and then worry about the quality of what to keep. I unfortunately have the bad habit of camping out. That little thought that says "I know this should be a producing spot, maybe Ill go to this color worm or if I throw this instead of that." What Im attempting to do now- personal healing. I scout out a large section and then work that area back and forth. If I go down and back working both sides and still having no luck I leave. Ive done this twice in a local. Be prepared for some guy to come up and say" Man why did you leave there?" "I caught 4 nice bass right around that tree you were fishing?"
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-05, 10:44 PM   #11
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Quote:
Be prepared for some guy to come up and say" Man why did you leave there?" "I caught 4 nice bass right around that tree you were fishing?"
That's where a little mental toughness comes in. You hear that and start to have doubts. Don't. Fish the way you fish-not the way someone else fishes. That said, it is MUCH easier said than done. It is real easy to get psyched out-been there and done that more than once ;D.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-05, 02:11 AM   #12
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

Consider this and you will have your answer.

Are you Discplined enough to fish slow and methodically for a bigger bite when the aggressive schoolies are busting around you or are biting everything your partner throws?

Are you expiereanced enough to be able to pick out only the prime water, and the most likely locations the big bass will be holding. There is a lot of water, and a lot of bass, and they can be anywhere. Especially the small ones. But the bigger bass wil only be found in key locations in relation to structure, cover and current.

Are you skilled enough to get the bigger bass to bite once you have found them .They do not get big by being dumb.They really can become lure shy. You really have to fool some of them.

Myself, i would ALWAYS try to secure a limit first, unless I knew I was only going to get 5 or 6 bites a day. That is a horse of a diferent color.

You have to decide that based on your skill level, and style of fishing. You have to evaluate your individual strengths and weaknesses to figure out which you would do in a givin situation.

JMO

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-05, 03:55 AM   #13
powayfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have to agree,with BassBoss on this one,get your limit.
Go for the agressive bite,unless you know for a fact that some bigger fish are there, and you know exactly how to catch them. But even if you do, get you limit first then try for the bigger ones. Now if your possitive you can get some good weight by sticking aroung,go for it,but if your not and your on a good pattern for some really agressive keepers,try and cull as much as you can, and
see where that gets you!!!

PHIL G.
Old 01-29-05, 08:59 AM   #14

Even though I'm not a member and have guest status I fish a lot of tournies here in WI. Smallies are often the target.
Pre-spawn pattern on a lake or river; I know a few spots or have picked up a chunk or two in pre-fishing here's what I do:
I'll repeat what these guys say and fish the steep breaklines with 1/2 oz/ spinner baits, Carolina rigs with YUM craw and deep diving cranks. You know those easy up and down areas adjacent to spawing grounds. Have to fish the steep breaks where they expend little energy moving up and down b/c in WI the weather changes so drastically and dramatically in the spring. First I'll pick up the aggressive males but I'll do it in Milk Run fashion. I'll get one or two on a spot to go and if they're small but legal males I won't limit out even if I can. I'll keep one or two. The first most aggressive fish on a spot (in my experience) will tell you the "year class" of the fish that are there. I'll GPS that spot and only keep one or two and come back later. If I haven't found any bigger females. I'll move to my next spot to identify the size of fish that are there. I'll get my limit this way and then go after the lunkers/kicker fish. I have to do it this way b/c culling isn't allowed. Can't kick myself enough, though, for NOT GETTING A LIMIT AS FAST AS I CAN. This technique, for me, works more often than not. However, you will get burned if a cold front comes through at like noon and you have two hours left. You picked up a couple fish, but kept moving when you could've gotten your limit in one spot of legal "year" fish. Go back there after running and they're shut down. Go to scales with 4 instead of 5. It happens.
Old 01-29-05, 01:53 PM   #15
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Smallmouths used to be my favorite bass. They still are when they come shallow, you have to cover alot of water but look for a pattern as to where your bigger fish are holding so you can duplicate those areas to try to get a pattern for the bigger fish going.Rebbasser, Most times the smallmouth limit will beat a largemouth limit here in NY except when you find the largemouth in the milfoil during the summer. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-05, 06:26 PM   #16
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

I agree with the above.
First try to get your limit and then go from there.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-05, 12:47 PM   #17
RebelBasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to RebelBasser

Smallmouth can be very fickle. I've seen them kill an 1/8 oz leadhead with a grub but wouldn't touch the same thing in a 1/4 oz!

Get your limit then concentrate on trying to cull each one with bigger fish. You will probably have to slow down, go to a bigger bait, slower fall, different color, etc. etc. etc.
RebelBasser is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.