Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-06, 09:24 PM   #1
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default PA wants to license 12 to 15 year olds.

I read over the weekend where PA wants to license young fishermen and women. They want to charge a fee of $5.00. They get federal money for every license they sell and this would bring new revenue to the state. There are pro's and con's about this. I haven't made up my mind about it yet but i am leaning towards no unless they charge maybe a dollar. I know $5.00 isn't too much and to many kids that's a couple of pepsi's or a half a CD. If they do license them I think they should give them a dog tag type license. Maybe the kids would be more receptive to it. One of the comment's from the state is they wouldn't enforce it too much. I don't believe it. I'm not sure about PA, I don't know if they stock bass in the state. I really don't fish for other species anymore so I feel I am over paying. Especially since everything I catch goes back in the water. It seems like most of the funds go for the trout fishermen. Who I am not harping on.
One of the things they said are kids spend too much time playing games and attend after school activities. I remember when i was a kid and a bunch of us would go down to the river and fish for catfish all day in the summer. We didn't have the games then. And I am glad we didn't. How do you guys feel about kids getting licensed?

Bob
Old 03-20-06, 09:48 PM   #2
Bender

I don't think $5 is too much, $1 would be better but that wouldn't cover the cost of the paperwork. I also think that if they do this there should be another law that says there is no fine for not having it, only a warning, no matter how many times.
I think that the video games are really leading to the end of things. I really admire young'uns these days that are not just sitting around the house. I just got married a 2 weeks ago and we are afraid of having kids these days. I take my boss's kids out fishing every chance I get to go over there otherwise they are playing video games or watching tv. Nothing against him but...
Not trying to make this into a big debate, I could go on forever. But I do understand the state a little bit.
Edit: or it another conspiracy for the state to gather information.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-06, 10:04 PM   #3
bass kicker

i am 16 and my parents never gave me the option of having a video game system but they suport me and my fishing

i dont think the lisencing is a bad idea
Old 03-20-06, 10:36 PM   #4
bassinbob

Congrats Bender Does the little lady fish. Maybe you should buy her a nice new Ranger for a wedding present. If you do have some toddlers take em fishing when they can pick up a rod. Make it a nice day for them ensuring they catch blue gills or something else that bites good. And when you are bending at the back you'll have a fishing partner that will look over at you and say "thanks dad."

Bob
Old 03-20-06, 10:50 PM   #5
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Bob,

Personally I think it would be a deterrent for kids to pay anything to fish. Secondly how many 12-15 year olds even have any valid ID's. If they want more money, then increase the fishing by increasing the water availble, and increasing the fisheries, to get more out of staters in there fishing. And the youth to become licensed fisherman, because they love to fish. Glad I don't live in PA, do they still have the stinking 55 mph all the way across the state, to collect more revenues from out of staters? Let's face it, they just want more money and what will this money be used for? I doubt it(these new fees) will ever go where it's intended, it rarely does. There are too many times that they increase fees/taxes/etc.. and the money never gets used for the enviorment. That's been proven over and over. Heck they just get a surplus, and then loan it to themselves for another thing. I think it's just more BS. Move south, the fishing is better anyways, and it's year round.

Lizards
Old 03-21-06, 01:16 AM   #6
InEccess
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess

BassinBob, you know they're just trying to get money to vote themselves another raise in Harrisburg. I've just about given up on this state... except that everyone else has. This is my home, and I'm going to stay and try to make it a better place for everyone. If I leave, that's one less person fighting the good fight at the Voting booths.
Old 03-21-06, 08:14 PM   #7
bigbasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigbasser
Thumbs up kids license

The $5 12-15 youth license fee is proposed, but to get matching federal funds it must cost at least $2. The license fee and matching funds are too support youth programs in schools, with teaching youth about fishing, etc. Also youth fishing programs run by outdoor sports groups will be able to apply for funds. We must educate the youth in school so they can protect our rights too fish in the future. JMHO bigbasser
bigbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-06, 08:25 PM   #8
zooker

bob
don't they allow 12 year olds to hunt deer in pa?? with a hunting lisence..

zooker
Old 03-21-06, 08:28 PM   #9
WTL

Just another way for the gov't to make things needlessly complicated all in the name of creating jobs and redistributing wealth to new generations of beaurocrats with no marketable skills other than being jerks.

Oh wait, sorry...that sounds political, dont it?
Old 03-21-06, 09:34 PM   #10
bassinbob

Zooker yes they do allow 12 year olds to hunt. I myself couldn't wait till I turned that age so I could hunt. Personally i think if someone in your youth guides you to enjoy hunting and fishing you will continue to enjoy it. If a kid has parents that don't hunt or fish they won't be exposed to it as much as someone who does. In todays world there are a lot of people who don't believe we should be able to hunt or fish. Unfortunately there are those who openly despise us also. It saddens me to know there are kids who never experience the good times like I had with my dad, friends and anyone else who crossed my path and enriched my life with their knowledge and friendship. PA feels that there is a dwindling amount of kids starting to fish here. So their answer "Let's charge them to fish." Brilliant. InEccess you are right they need a raise in Harrisburg.
Old 03-21-06, 09:40 PM   #11
bass kicker

i am just glad they dont make us get one in canada until we are 18
Old 03-22-06, 10:16 AM   #12
flbassman

In florida, you don't need anything until 16, and you can always fish from shore in your county of residence.
Old 03-22-06, 12:49 PM   #13
JB

Here in oHIo they make you wait till you're 16 for a license for fishing, and hunters under that age must take a hunting saftey class..I think its just another way for all states to mismanage tax money
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 03:36 PM   #14
Christopherkeene9

Like Flbass said we gotta wait till 16! D'oh that's like less than a month for me! Guess I can't go after that sword now.
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 11:20 PM   #15
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbasser
The $5 12-15 youth license fee is proposed, but to get matching federal funds it must cost at least $2. The license fee and matching funds are too support youth programs in schools, with teaching youth about fishing, etc. Also youth fishing programs run by outdoor sports groups will be able to apply for funds. We must educate the youth in school so they can protect our rights too fish in the future. JMHO bigbasser
I would be very, very impressed if the money ever got to where it's intended. If it does, then that would be a first IMHO. I will gladly take back all of what I said if they would do EXACTLY what they say there are going to do. However as already stated, there's too much proof that runs a long way on the opposite direction of what they are saying. I think the Red Cross took lessons from the politicians.

Lizards
Old 03-23-06, 08:09 AM   #16
1FASTLASER

When I lived in Pa. and did for 10 years, I always thought that the state had to many rules and regulations and the state was always trying to govern EVERYTHING way to much. For example not being able to hunt on sunday was a big thorn in my side. I beleive that kids are to involved with to much crap on tv and what with all the video games and such. I know the world is evolving and 12 year oold kids are smarter now than when I was 12 but still they are kids. More revenue for the state if it is used for GAME AND FISH benefits is allright but I personally think they could find a differant way.
Old 03-23-06, 04:40 PM   #17
JB

i think the churches had a lot of input on the old hunting laws. I remember how excited everyone was when Indiana would allow hunting on sundays, and ohio wasn't allowed..I think you are able to hunt here now on the sabbath, ya always hear guns going off when squirrel seaon opens or deer season... Me..I am happy to be on the water and release a bass if I am lucky enough to catch one.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 07:06 PM   #18
zooker

jb
went from 7 day hunting to 6 day hunting when i moved down here.. 6 days a week suck...

zooker
Old 03-23-06, 07:14 PM   #19
Wishing2BFishing

I am in agreement with charging 12 - 15 year-olds. In fact, PA should require a fishing license for all ages. Assuming the law is enacted, lets make sure that we cite all the kids who don't have licenses. For a penalty, we can legislate a "suspension" on future licenses for all the non-licensed violators. Lets take away the future of fishing . . .

Speaking of licenses, PA should also require a registration for each fishing pole that an individual owns. The state could charge a small fee to register each rod.

Perhaps we should also impose age requirements for the purchasing of lures. After all, hooks are dangerous and could be used as weapons.

Fingerprinting should also be required. Lets fingerprint all the children who want licenses. We could also test them for drugs. After all, isn't fishing a sport? These days sports and drugs go hand-in-hand.

Clearly, we do not have enough regulations for fishing.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 07:40 PM   #20
rrw4258

sounds like a bunch of crap to me... in ohio, nothing till 16 years old, im only 15 now...
Old 03-24-06, 06:49 AM   #21
1FASTLASER

Yeah forgot about that Zook u live in another state that has 6 day week hunting. That sucks for the working class.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.