Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-05, 06:22 PM   #1

Default High Priced reels

Hey, are those 2 or 3 hundred dollar reels you see in magazines and at Bass Pro shops realy a lot better than those cheaper 50 or 60 dollar reels as wal-mart. Or are they just rip-offs.
Old 05-24-05, 06:24 PM   #2
n2b
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to n2b
Default Re: High Priced reels

no...no...no the are worth the money trust me i own about 4 of them and they are worth the money.
n2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-05, 06:50 PM   #3
bronzebackguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bronzebackguy

It depends on if your budget can afford them, I have a couple of the high dollar ones and a couple of the cheaper ones. The high dollar reels tend to be smoother and cast farther. IMO the best reel you can buy for the money is a shimano curado, $129 is a good buy for the amount of time you can use them
bronzebackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-05, 06:52 PM   #4
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

I use Bass Pro Shops Extreme reels that run about $50-60. They have served me well. You do get what you pay for, but you can get quality reels you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for. $60 and up for a reel will insure you get good quality.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-05, 06:58 PM   #5
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

I have some of those high dollar reels, and also some curado's. Their really isn't much of a comparison on smoothness, and distance, but not many folks will spend the kinda money I do for my equipment. I will say that I have caught tons of fish on less exspensive gear. If you are just starting out don't buy a exspensive one, get the feel for what you like, and then upgrade as you go. It can and will drain the wallet fast Fishing doesn't have to be as exspensive as I make it, it's just what I spend my money on, and can afford.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-05, 08:29 PM   #6
Eddie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Eddie

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...amp;hasJS=true

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...amp;hasJS=true

these are what i use.if you have tons of money those reels are nice.if you are a working man like me with kids these will do just fine.more money doesn't mean more fish!!!
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-05, 09:01 PM   #7
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

The thing is ,You get what you pay for!

would you rather have a hummer or a ford to 4x4 with?

you got to look a the bearings too when getting a reel as well. a 2 bearing to an 8 bearing you'll know the difference between the both of them. turn the handle quick and let go the 2 bearing real will stop turning almost right away when the 8 will keep going a few more turns. Smoothness is what you looking for in a reel. As well as craftsmanship, good solid parts, good materials will insure you reel will stand up for years to come!

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 02:46 PM   #8
Chip
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Chip

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

[glow=red,2,300] I have many reels that cost any where from 100 to 150 and this is by far my most favorite reel i own, no complaints!![/glow]
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 04:25 PM   #9
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The upper dollar ones will work like a charm nice and smooth casting they also seem to last longer to.
Old 05-25-05, 04:59 PM   #10
Bladerunner
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bladerunner

i plan on getting a baitcaster (never had one) i see curado by Shimano mentioned alot, thinking about trying that one out or the 1 captainD recommended a couple of posts above this 1
Bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 05:19 PM   #11
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

I got a 49 dollar ambassader bait caster for my first one, kind of middle of the road and not to expensive, and learned through much trial and error on that..I then got a nice Diawa but still about a 50 dollar reel that was smaller in size than the big red ambassader adn ABU garcias I had had, they were nice reels but really just like a wench....
but once I got to hold a egg shaped reel, I liked it much more and bought shimanos, had them stolen and replaced with Quantums top of the line baitcasters and love them.
I really liked the shimanos also, both are super smooth and I have been using them about 9 years now.
They are easy to tear down when looking for the pesky grain of sand, and easy to oil. The winding action and drag stays great too
I used to pay 100-200 per reel but probably never go over 100 bucks again.
They last long time if you do general maintence on them..
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 05:57 PM   #12
Bladerunner
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bladerunner

yea even if i get a $50 middle of the road model it will still be 1000% better than the old spinners ive been using forever.. casting is just horendous on them,but then again they were probably $18. nuff said ;D
Bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 07:12 PM   #13
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i got sick and tired of buying a new spinning reel every year at 60-70 bucks. i got one of those quatum energy pt reels. man what a differance i have used it for 3 years now. i recently bought a energy pt x-metal casting reel. man does it work right ... i am saving my pennies waiting for a chance to get a couple more of them. i use mag gear reels but i am not fond of the newer ones. i like the older style ones -they are silver-and worth every penny. althuogh they may make a tad bit of noise. they work right and they take a beatin -and that is why i bought them.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 07:58 PM   #14
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass

sorry, I just can't justify spending that type of money on a reel simply because the handle spins freely and cast the same lure (all things being equal) an extra 10-15 feet if you're lucky. I don't mind spending the extra money for a cadilac because it rides nicer, but my hands can turn a rough spinning reel without being in the lap of luxery. If I could see a reel putting extra fish in the boat, then yeah, i'd go for it. I'd save your money for a portable fish finder instead. That is $100 that will more than likely help you land more fish. I'd rather spend $20 on an abu garcia cardinal with a couple bearings and lose it sometime over the course of a year, than a $100, $200, or $300 on a reel that WILL be lost. Between flipping the boat, getting run off by aligators, being tired when loading up gear and leaving one or two things, I'm always replacing gear, and replacing an expensive reel isn't something I'd want to be doing. Lots of others things that I could spend that money on that would result in more fish, efficiency, or happiness.
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 07:59 PM   #15
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

oh yeah, and to answer your question, yes they are better, better craftsmanship, better materials, better line lay, etc., just not enough for me to justify the added expense. Just boils down to how much $$$ you have and what you're looking for.
Old 05-25-05, 08:03 PM   #16
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Well over time, anglers are human rob,
They see what other guys use, and what the pros use

It starts out by asking for a nice on just for christmas.
Then ya get a little extra income tax money and buy
Another....

It goes without saying that fishermen compare what others use..esp. baits

A high priced reel may not fit your budget and thats OK
but after ya get to a certain pt. ya like to have equipment that you can count on...and that makes a huge dif in confidence on the water...just one less thing to worry about while figuring out the pattern of the day 8)
Old 05-25-05, 08:03 PM   #17
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to madmarty

I believe Ambassadeurs are the best reels you can buy for the money. You can buy a better reel but not for the money.
madmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 08:08 PM   #18
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Yer right about that, my first one was at age 8 and I backlashed that sucker every time lol
back then they came with thread for line that was marked in colors every foot or so..
Old 05-25-05, 08:17 PM   #19
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=JB link=board=news;num=1116969770;start=0#15 date=05/25/05 at 19:03:09]

A high priced reel may not fit your budget and thats OK
Â*but after ya get to a certain pt. ya like to have equipment that you can count on...and that makes a huge dif in confidence on the water.[/quote]

I've got all the confidence in the world with my 2 currennt reels. All my reels work just fine up until the point that I LOSE them. I don't know how often yall go through gear, but seems like I go through it at a pretty fast pace, between my ADD (forgetting to pack up certain gear), a tiny boat that prefers to be upside down, and big critters that like to run you off, I've been through 5 rods/reels in the last 6 months, that doesn't include a full size waist tall tackle box slap full of gear that was lost 7 months ago. But hey, if ya got the money, and thats what you want, its your hard earned dinero to do what ya want with.
Old 05-25-05, 08:33 PM   #20
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Thats the way I look at it..if all my bills are paid and I get to work some OT, I can justify buying some gear .
Don't know what to tell ya about loosing stuff, except slow down when packing n unpacking.
I hate when a strap hold down comes off the deck of the boat and after jumping boat traffic waves you see your rods going in the drink@ >
Old 05-26-05, 05:46 PM   #21
Bin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bin

WOW GATORS glad im in michigan :P
Bin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-05, 06:55 PM   #22
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

I have more run ins with snakes, and I'm 100 times more scared of snakes too, course a 10 foot gator lunging at me was enough to warrent a change in underwear, but one incident with a gator isn't enough to worry me anymore, I've spent enough time on the water that it prolly won't happen again, I was just due for that sort of thing I guess.
Old 05-27-05, 01:16 PM   #23
keeb
BassFishin.Com Member

well if there high price they better work better then the 20 dollar ones
Old 05-27-05, 02:31 PM   #24
Greg_Heinz
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Greg_Heinz

Hey guys...Don't forget Okuma!!!! Most know them for their saltwater stuff but the new spinning gear and baitcasters are very high quality and the price is right!!!

I'd put them up against any reel out there in the $100-$200 price range. I know a guy that traded his PBS Rick Clunn and Johnny Morris reels in to get these..

I think he ended up with a 2 in - 4 out exchange!!!

Jim
Greg_Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-05, 05:17 PM   #25
jdkc
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jdkc

Well I really think that how serious you are about fishing too. I mean I love fishing. It gives me time to relax, spend time with friends, be outdoors etc... I am not some big tournament angler or anything like that. So the cheaper reels work for me. Then again I am 19 so the 300 dollar stuff is out of my range anyway. But even if i could I dont' think I would.
jdkc is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.