Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-05, 07:58 PM   #1
RockinRandy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to RockinRandy
Default Differences on Fast Strikes?

I've got a 150 Johnson Fast Strike. It is apparent that the 150 and 175 variants are built on the same powerhead and (I suspect) lower units, just as many 9.9/15hp engines are. The service book is of little help, indicating only that most of the tuning specs are the same. My boat is rated for a 175, so I'd like to find those extra 25 hp.

So, does anyone know what parts differ between the 150 and 175? Is it a matter of changing reeds, shaving heads, larger valves, what? And, would the parts-change to get the advertised 175 be illegal by the no-modifying-motors tournament rules (as in, it must have left the factory as a "175" to be legal, even though the parts would be the same in my 150/175 upgrade as were offered as-stock in the 175)?
RockinRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-05, 08:28 PM   #2
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva
Default Re: Differences on Fast Strikes?

i do believe the carbs are different...not sure what else...i run a suzuki.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-05, 01:08 AM   #3
Makitcnt4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Makitcnt4u

usually the difference between the two is something in the carb
Makitcnt4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-05, 04:37 PM   #4
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

You think that's fustrating? I used to have a "standard" Johnson 150. You should try finding out what the difference between THAT and a Fast Strike is. Good luck.
The best answer I ever got was $800.00 and a decale. (There is a bit more, but not a lot. The motor mounts are different for one thing.)

Take your 150 to a good marine speed shop. You can find a lot more than that 25 hp if you're willing to cough up the dough. Speed cost money. Figure about a grand per MPH over what you could get "stock out of the box." How fast do you want to go? (That's an average of course.)
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-05, 09:23 AM   #5
RockinRandy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to RockinRandy

Well, yea fast is better, and I'm all for hi-po mods (everything I drive has been hopped up! ;D). But I don't want to be disqualified from tournaments under that pesky no-hotrod-engines rule, and the boat is only rated for 175.
RockinRandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.