Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-05, 03:34 PM   #1
YoungFisher678
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to YoungFisher678
Default Motor problem

My Johnson 150 fast strike is acting up. It will crank and run smooth but after you stop and fish the first place it doesn't seem to want to start back up. Upon removing the main line in a good amount of gas runs back out of the motor. after it sits for a while it will start back up but smokes and runs rough for a while, like it is flooded.

Considering drianing the tank and cleaning, what is the easiet way to get the old fuel out?
YoungFisher678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 08:56 PM   #2
basstard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to basstard
Default Re: Motor problem

i dont know any other way but to drain and clean it. but the big boys here might.. good luck with it
basstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-05, 11:30 AM   #3
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

WMAYBIN,
Take it to a mechanic and have the carb(s) cleaned. They may be gummed up or the electric choke may be sticking.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-05, 12:58 PM   #4
YoungFisher678
BassFishin.Com Member

Had a tourney this weekend, ran some fuel system cleaner and it did alot better, still not perfect. I think a float or choke could be the problem. Thanks guys.
Old 05-10-05, 02:05 PM   #5

I would bet $$ it's your fuel pump. The little rubber diaphram in your fuel pump probably has a little hole in it. I've had this problem before and I couldn't keep my motor running in slow speeds or in neutral. It gets worse as the day goes on. An easy way to check to see if it's ur fuel pump is,

if you have a motor with a hand fuel pump ball... try pumping it while starting your motor, and when it sounds like it's going to die, give it some more pumps. If the motors runs while your pumping it, then it's most likely your fuel pump. Let us know what you find out.
Old 05-11-05, 11:04 AM   #6
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Back to your original question, to empty the gas tank, (1) make sure you have enought gas cans to hold the gas in the tank. Â*(2) disconnect the gas line where it goes into the outboard. Â*Then pump the bulb to get the gas flowing, and use that to suction the tank down. Â*You probably won't get it all, but you can get a lot of it that way.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-05, 03:33 PM   #7
YoungFisher678
BassFishin.Com Member

I know its not the fuel pump, damn mechanic here in town just put 400 dollars worth of new one on and it does the same thing, think I got screwed on that deal.

Taking it first of next week to a guy who races allisons and does all kind of high performance outboard work. He is going to go through thcarbs, thinks the needles might be leaking after long runs and fouling the system. He might even do a little performance tinkering while he has it. I will let you know how it turns out, be cool If I ended up with a 150 that ran more like a 200.
Old 06-21-05, 10:37 PM   #8
bass72542
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bass72542

You could have some foul plugs
bass72542 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.