Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-05, 05:22 AM   #1
Rubberduck#2
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 93% Octane Gas

Someone told me it was good to use 93% octane gas in boat motors and I have heard some people say not to. I have a 200 HP Mercury, can any of you experienced boaters tell me if it's good or bad?
Rubberduck#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-05, 07:40 AM   #2
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: 93% Octane Gas

What year was the Motor made? Not that I can help, but that's one of the first questions the experts will need to know. From my understanding on some of the older motors it was a good idea, but the newer ones are computerized so the 87 octane is fine. Some of them it is a BAD idea for. I believe zooker had a problem with too high of octane, and it building up a bunch of carbon. Costs a few bucks to have it cleaned out I beleive. If these guys can't help, go to the Mercury web site, and ask them, or this is a good link for boat info http://www.bassboatcentral.com

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-05, 09:20 AM   #3
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

RUNNER,

Â* Â* My mechanic told me that the new Merc's are designed to run on 87 octane gas, and any higher octane will not help. He advised me to use Mercury top grade lube ONLY, as it has additives that keep the carbon from forming in the cylinders.
Â* Â* He is factory trained by Mercury, Evinrude and Yamaha, so he is not telling me that as a Mercury only mechanic.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-05, 05:11 PM   #4
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

I must agree with Jackl. Evinrudes are being made for 87 percent. Any higher may cause carbon build up as well as higher cost to the purchaser.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-05, 07:29 PM   #5
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

almost all of the japaesse made moters-yammaha,honda,susuki,ect. are tuned for 86 octane- running 87 octane is fine. i know for a fact that there is no adjustment to change this. odds are most newer moters are the same way. regaurdless of who makes them.

i had to have the head removed and the mechinc scrapped the carbon build up out of my cyclinders which was not good. thank fully it was under warranty i think i had the boat less than a year at that time. all caused by running high test gas. i used to have and old 'rude 70 horse that loved it's high test. mainly because it was a anicent beast. i belive it was a 59 model-boat had fins like a 57 chevy- Â* Â*

i reread the yamaha booklet after this thinking i missed some thing about using 87 octane only it does not it simply states that "this moter uses 86 octane or higher" kinda leaves alot unexplain don't it?

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-05, 08:11 PM   #6
Rubberduck#2
BassFishin.Com Member

My motor is a 1987 model. I was told it was good for the old motors but was unsure. I guess to be safe I will use the low grade gas.
Rubberduck#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-05, 07:23 AM   #7
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to okefenokee010

My mechanic says that the high octane gas will tear up the insides of my Optimax. He said just run the regular.
okefenokee010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-05, 02:57 PM   #8
Makitcnt4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Makitcnt4u

How often should I add that yamaha fuel additive to the gas also?

How many ounces would I need for a 62 gallon gas tank?
Makitcnt4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 07:00 AM   #9
redneck13
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to redneck13

When I bought my Yamaha earlier this spring, I was told to use 87 oct. and add Yamalube oil.They also sell several brands of outboards,so I figure I'm getting the straight stuff on the oil.
redneck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 10:16 AM   #10
NorthNJangler
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to NorthNJangler

I have 91 Merc, and I can tell you first hand you can tell a difference with the lower octane, the motor runs a little rough with the low octane (its 86 octane out here). I put premium in and run a lot better.
NorthNJangler is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.