Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-05, 01:15 AM   #1
Makitcnt4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Makitcnt4u
Default using Tube baits

What are tubes used for? How and where do you fish them. I sometimes see people put a weight in the body but other times I do not.

What are they supposed to look like?
Makitcnt4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 07:41 AM   #2
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36
Default Re: using Tube baits

I use a tube for alot of things. Use them with a Hookerz insert jighead to fish rocky points, standing timber and skipping. Texas rig on a 2/0-3/0 EWG hook for fishing heavy cover. For colors, I like Killer GP, Black neon, and Watermelon Berry. Hope this helps
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 09:42 AM   #3
Makitcnt4u
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks, But for a retrieve do I just raise my rod tip and let it fall over and over again.
Old 02-24-05, 10:44 AM   #4
danrw84
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to danrw84

Tubes are a crawfish imitation. Most people do jig them up and down. The weight, like on any other bait, determines the rate of fall. You just have to find out what rate the fish like at the time. Tubes are favorites of smallmouth but you can catch lm on them as well. Very good around rip rap, rocky points and in the weeds. Some of the most popular colors are the dark naturals like brown, green, camo, 'roadkill' etc. Again, you just have to find out what the fish prefer and go for it. Tight lines!
danrw84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 08:41 PM   #5
Daniel_B.
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Daniel_B.

well lone star u could use tubes anywhere basically it's not that hard either just cast and retrieve slowly.

When i go fishing my tubes never leave my side i buy a tube called the octojig i use that tube with a 1/8inch head i catch anywhere from crappie to catfish sunfish and even bass.
Once you get better you will find different stratigies that will help you pick up more fish i've been using them for 5 yrs and still learning, where im at in ontario canada i can pick up 10-25 fish on a good summer day (but the lake is also very abondant with fish)
Daniel_B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 09:03 PM   #6
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Tubes are a very good bait if you start catching fish ,using the same tube bait over until its rendered useless is the normal, but take notice when you get bites but can't hook them. Its because your tube is worn out and is getting in the way of the hook point. It took me a while to figure out it wasn't small fish,the bait was mushing out getting in the way of the hookset.I personally like to use a free sliding weight when able to fish without alot of weed snags.I hope this helps you. ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 09:33 PM   #7
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

To add a little to what PnJ said, I always fish them-Texas rigged, anyway-on an Extra-wide Gap hook for the reason PnJ did-the wide gap gets a better hookset. On a leadhead it really doesn't matter-the hook is already exposed.

a lot of people use them when flipping-tubes have an erratic fall, and most of the time the hit comes when it is falling. I do admit I don't use tubes that often-that is one of my goals this year-to throw a tube more.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 09:40 PM   #8
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

Tubes are one of my favorite soft plastics. I don't concern myself with what they look like, because I don't believe lures have to be imitative in order to be productive.

Mine are fished Texas-rigged with an internal weight. That's because most of the time I'm fishing fairly shallow, weedy water. When in open water I don't hesitate to use them with internal jigheads with an exposed hook.

You can retrieve them a variety of ways. Jig 'em up and down, lift and drop, swim them, drag them along the bottom, crawl them on top of vegetation and let them sink into holes and edges. Any way you want, you're limited only by your imagination.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 09:45 PM   #9
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

try a 4 or 5" tube on a 5/0 EWG hook...no weight..flip it into pads,weeds or brush.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 09:48 PM   #10
housework101
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to housework101

I throw tubes almost always,I have fished entire weekends using them exclusivly.
I have never been skunked using a tube bait.
It's my goal this season however to give sinners and crankbaits most of my attention.
I have caught several 5+ pound Lm on tubes as well as a good number of smallies.
Here in Iowa a 5lb Lm is a decent catch.
I usually stick with browns and greens but have had luck with black neon and red shad colors early and late in stained water.
I rig them as others have mentioned texas rig with a 3/0 offset hook,1/16-1/4 ounce bullet weight depending on how thick the cover and how deep the water.
Some tube baits are much thicker than others so you have to pay attention how you rig the hook or you will miss more fish than you will catch.
I like Yum or zoom tubes but there are hundreds that all work about the same.
housework101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 10:48 PM   #11
Makitcnt4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Thank you everyone. can someone show me a picture of how to rig them the right way?
Old 02-24-05, 10:51 PM   #12
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Check back a few pages. Im pretty sure someone posted very detailed pictures on how to do that. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 11:01 PM   #13
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Lone, I rig them one of three ways:

On a jighead-just push the lead head all the way in and pole the eye of the jighead through the plastic. You can also rig it using the same manner as a T-rig and push the head of the jig inside the tube.

If I'm using a flipping tube-one with a solid head-I rig it like a Texas rig.

If it is not a solid head, I start with a small bell sinker and push it all the way into the tube with the wire loop pointing towards the head, and T-rig it making sure the point of the hook goes through the eye of the hook, like this (without the tube):

and the rigged tube:

The bell sinker holds the hook in place and eliminates the need for an external weight.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-05, 02:01 AM   #14
bassguy2004

I like to use tubes in numerous ways. Yesterday the 23rd I went to my home lake to pre fish for our Sat. tourney. The first place I stopped in my float tube, first cast on a split shot rig with a green pumpkin tube, a 5.2 largemouth. I love to use the tube on a carolina rig, flipping, pitching. Tubes are great.
Old 02-25-05, 09:22 PM   #15
Makitcnt4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks alot for the pics rebbasser.

Bassguy: what were you fishing next to? What cover or structure?
Old 02-25-05, 09:48 PM   #16
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

Quote:
It's my goal this season however to give sinners and crankbaits most of my attention.
If that was my choice, I don't think I'd get much crankbaiting done. So, Herb, if you get worn out, send a couple of those sinners my way, okay?
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 12:17 AM   #17
housework101
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to housework101

Ha,I know theres a spell check somewhere on this thing ;D
housework101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 12:34 AM   #18
bassguy2004

Lonestarboater, I was fishing the side of a point in 24 feet of water according to my depthfinder with lots of chunk rock on the bottom.
Old 02-26-05, 02:42 AM   #19

;DI LOVE'EM YOU CAN FISH ALL DEPTHS I PREFER NO WIEGHT RIG IT TEXAS WERE THE TIP OF THE HOOK IS POKING OUT.REEL SUPER SLOW

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.