Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-05, 12:00 AM   #1
UtahBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to UtahBass
Default Fishing spinnerbaits deep?

I'm still very much a rookie, so I'm almost hesitant to ask this question....but here goes:

I've always thought of spinnerbaits as a topwater (or very shallow) bait. Are they effective in deep water? If so, how and when would you fish them?

Thanks.
UtahBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 12:28 AM   #2
toto
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to toto
Default Re: Fishing spinnerbaits deep?

Ive had good luck letting the spinnerbaits sink to the bottom ,then slow roll them back. Especially at night.
toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 01:41 AM   #3
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Quote:
Are they effective in deep water?
Absolutely! Â*You just have to change your tactics a little. Â*tn mentions "slow rolling". Â*What this means is the fish it on the bottom with a retrieve that is just fast enough to keep the blade turning. Â*That is a good deep water tactic, but there are still one big problem: Â*The blades cause lift, which tends to make the bait rise in the water column. Â*The solution? Â*There are a couple of options. Â*To offset the lift you need either a heavier bait like a Ledgebuster, which range up to 1 oz., or to add weight to the bait you have. Â*there are several ways to do that. Â*You can add weight using something like Tacky Weight, which is a putty-like substance for that purpose-adding weight to baits. Â*You can also get some rubber core sinkers, take the rubber insert out and crimp it on to the wire above the lead head on the bait, or what I think is the easiest-just put a worm sinker on the line before you tie on the spinnerbait. Â*It does not effect the action of the bait since it is not attached in any way to the bait but still adds enough to keep the bait down.

Triton, don't hesitate to ask when you have a question-as I and many others here have said, the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked ;D.

Hope that helps answer your question.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 03:35 AM   #4
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

TRITON,
A one oz. spinnerbait with a size 6 or 7 Colorado or turtleback blade is a very good bait to use in areas of sunken brush or stumps that are either too deep or too brushy to search out with a deep diving crankbait. It is exceptional for crawling across or lengthwise on main lake points. I like it as a search bait where most anglers would use a Carolina rig, as I can work it faster and cover more area. The large blade will really thump and get thier attention, but it takes a stiff rod to pull the heavy weight, similar to what you would use for a C-rig.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 03:56 PM   #5
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

yeah they are real good for sunken timber or near deep docks. personally i rarely use them this way but they do work. i fish with a guy who drags his back-damest thing i have ever saw-and i do mean drag like along bottom. and yes he has kicked my butt doing this.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 07:25 PM   #6
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

i've caught fish on spinnerbaits in deep water by letting them hit bottom and hop them like a jig.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 10:55 AM   #7
bassguy2004

You bet. Drag and hop that spinnerbait on long sloping points in deep water. Around timber etc.
Old 02-16-05, 12:34 PM   #8
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass

I like to slow roll a spinnerbait down to about 15ft in the early spring. I've caught a ton of fish on this bait.
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 01:21 PM   #9
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

A big 1 oz spinnerbait, on a strong rod, with a slow speed reel is a killer in deep water. Hold on tight. Little fish run and climb a tree when they see that thing coming. If you get bit, it will be worth it.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 04:22 PM   #10
wylie_cope
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to wylie_cope

Smallies really seem to like big spinnerbaits in deep water... for smallies a lot of the time you can free swim (not touch any cover) and the will blast them... I've caught some really nice LMB's doing the same... usually 1/2 oz or bigger, look at the new tungsten terminators, very small size but weigh 9/16's ( $10 ) little pricey but hopefully worth it... also try the war eagle screaming eagles...just how I do it..
whip
wylie_cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 09:06 PM   #11
UtahBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to UtahBass

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions. The lakes I fish here in W. Tennessee and N. Mississippi are usually very murky, and I just figured the noise/vibration of a spinnerbait might attract bass down deep, not just near the top.

We will see!!
UtahBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 11:51 PM   #12
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Triton link=board=news;num=1108436437;start=0#10 date=02/16/05 at 19:06:07]I really appreciate everyone's suggestions. The lakes I fish here in W. Tennessee and N. Mississippi are usually very murky, and I just figured the noise/vibration of a spinnerbait might attract bass down deep, not just near the top.

We will see!![/quote]

You have a very good chance of the water being clearer the deeper you go many times. You could also remove and change the blades, to smaller ones, which will produce less lift on the spinnerbait.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 09:49 AM   #13
bassbum
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassbum

First off, never be afraid to ask a ? about something because if you don't ask then you will go thru a longer process trying to find the answer
Spinnerbaits, i haven't really ever thought of as top water. Cast it far out and then reel it up slowly. When it hits the water, let it sink a bit before reeling.
Sandra
bassbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.