Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-06, 02:58 AM   #1
Bulletproof
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bulletproof
Default Venom Big Shots

Has anyone tried the Big Shot Tube made by Venom?

Very good tube for certain applications.

However I cannot find a really good hook for it and I've tried a lot.

The best fit I can find is the gammies 5/0 off set or EWG's.

Anyone have any consistent luck with a hook for this obese tube?
Bulletproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-06, 06:04 AM   #2
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The gammy hook............. the EWG Plus is excellant for the fatter and more well endowed versions of my favorite baits. The plus part on the EWG is a hook point that is turned out more than being in direct line with the eye tie. I have found it to be better enough that I am actually going to all these for my plastics.
Old 02-04-06, 01:45 PM   #3
pig n jig

Thats funny, I just bought 4 packs of green pumpkin big shots on clearance at Walmart for $1.00 a pack and the bait packs contained a packet of 3 hooks per pack.Are you saying you didn't get any hooks with them or you do you strictly use Gamakatsu hooks ?P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-06, 01:37 AM   #4
Bulletproof
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bulletproof
Default No hooks....

No hooks came with them. I'm not an exclusive user of gammy hooks and do use others but they seem to have the best fit out there. albeit thier hooks still dont seem to be the perfect fit. what hooks came with those? a 1 a pack is a helluva a deal i woulda bought every last one they had at that price.
Bulletproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-06, 06:42 AM   #5
pig n jig

http://www.venomlures.com/vcomponents/D-G-H-1.htm I got mixed up, the Hot Rods came with 2 4/0 sickle hooks with them. I was all wrong, sorry. I plan on using the sickle hooks with the big shots , but may have to go with the biggest Eagle claw HP hook they make. I don't make a habit of buying Eagle Claw hooks, but the HP hook works really well for tube baits because the length is compact but the Kahle style hook has a great hook up ratio with used tubes. The wire keeper keeps the nose where it supposed to on the hookset. Alot of times with a regular wide gap hook , the tube nose bulges on the hookset interfering with the hook point.If you use the same tube to catch several bass, you have most likely ran into that problem.I hope this helps, P N J

Last edited by pig n jig; 02-06-06 at 08:18 PM.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.