Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-05, 06:55 PM   #1

Default No luck this past memorial day weekend

Hi guys, I'm kinda new to bass fishing, just got really serious about it a year ago. I've read many books on bass fishing. I watch all the fishing shows. I've even got subscribtions to Bassmaster magazine, In-fisherman, and Bassin. I live in Southern Maryland and this past holiday weekend I did alot of fishing from the bank and from my small basstender boat with trolling motor. I used numerous artificial baits to include spinnerbaits, crankbaits, texas rigged worms, and buzzbaits. I used various presentations for each of these with no luck. I fished near cover, in coves, points, deepwater, lillypads, and near the piers.The temperature had been pretty consistent the week prior with temperatures in the 70's. Not sure what the water temps were though. I fished on Sat. June 28th and Sun. Jun. 29th. Water clarity was kind of murky for whatever place I fished at. This was the worst for fishing for myself in a longtime. Two days prior to Saturday a slight cold front did come through which brought some rain. I'm sure that many of you have had days like this right? Do you think it was because of the cold front or the fact that the bass are at post-spawn or both? Do you think I would fair better with an economical fish finder? Talk about frustrating, please advise!! ??? ???
Old 06-01-05, 07:08 PM   #2
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman
Default Re: No luck this past memorial day weekend

First off Randy, I would encourage you to register under a user name. We have had some punk posting a lot of junk lately under random guest names.

Its hard to know what to tell you about the fishing, lots of people are having post spawn blues right now. But that might not be your problem, I don't know maybe somebody closer to maryland has an opinion concerning what stage the fish are at.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-05, 07:56 PM   #3
keeb
BassFishin.Com Member

well it wasnt bad for me, but they were small like 10in. the water was calm so i topwatered, but the next day i noticed a dead crawfish on the bank so i switch to plastic crawfish and caught a few that way.
Old 06-01-05, 08:22 PM   #4
rbass57
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to rbass57

WTL I realized that I needed to register under a user name after I posted the message, thanks!
rbass57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-05, 08:56 PM   #5
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

that cold front got you. after a cold front the fishin really sucks. i would have slowed down my presentation and fished a pig n jig right on those peir pillers. also, i would have dead sticked a t-rigged worm near or if possible in any green vegitation. isnt the spawn just beganing up there? with water temps at 70 i would think they would be just begining, or even maybe in pre-spawn. i would look for beds along the shallows. good luck, and welcome to the forum
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-05, 12:04 AM   #6
rbass57
BassFishin.Com Member

Actually according to books I have read in the Northeastern US they should be at the end of post-spawn. Actually the outside temperature was 70 degrees and not the water. I'm not sure what the water temperature was but I'm sure it was below 60 degrees. Again does anyone recommend any of the economical fishfinders?
Old 06-02-05, 12:09 AM   #7
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

well then i stand corrected. as far as the fish finder goes, most use it to not locate fish, but to find the depth, water temp, underwater structure and so on. so it is a pretty nice asset to have, but its not a big ''must have''. if you have the money to afford one, then go ahead and get one, if not then you will survive, just remember that people have been catchin bass years and years before the fish finder. its really up to you.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-05, 12:13 AM   #8
RACKMASTER00
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to RACKMASTER00

i am just slightly north of you in southern NJ and i am running into the same problem but as far as the spawn is going it is just really getting started up here. I have just in the past few weeks noticed the bass making and tending beds. Try some senko worms or slow rolling a spinner bait accross the shallow beds. that is the only things that seem to be working up here right now. good luck
RACKMASTER00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-05, 12:20 AM   #9
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

If the water temp is below 60 you are not post spawn yet. Be careful about dates, temps are just as important.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-05, 12:44 AM   #10
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=WTL link=board=news;num=1117662943;start=0#8 date=06/01/05 at 23:20:51]If the water temp is below 60 you are not post spawn yet. Be careful about dates, temps are just as important. [/quote]

Listen to WTL, and welcome to the insane assylum for Bassaholics. Cold front are the worst IMO. Got to hit them on the nose just about, to get them to bite.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-05, 05:13 PM   #11

hey your not the only won getting nothing this last weekend i didnt get jack and i fished all three days of the weekend and only really got about 5 even with out a cold front dont feell bad **** happens
Old 06-02-05, 05:15 PM   #12
basshunter205
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to basshunter205

yeah we defintely sucked this weeeknd.

dont you hate it when you completely suck and you talk to people who just killed them? nothing gets to me worse.
basshunter205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-05, 01:58 PM   #13
rbass57
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok, thanks for all the info. Ok so if I understand it right the spawning period really doesn't depend on the time of year it depends on the temperature of the water? Well that makes since we have had a really cold spring her in Southern Maryland. However I noticed at the end of April in one lake that bass were visible in shallow water swimming around as if they were searching to build nests (pre-spawn). You couldn't even get them to look at an artificial bait at that time, however the pickerel were hitting anything you threw out. How long does the typical pre-spawn period last?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.