Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-05, 02:50 AM   #1
UtahBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to UtahBass
Default Defintion: Drop-Shotting?

I'm not familiar with this term or method of fishing. I looked back through quite a few pages here, and didn't see anything that helped me, either. (Plenty of mentions of it, but unfortunately I need the basics.)

So if someone could briefly explain it to me, or post a link to a website with the info, I'd appreciate it!

UtahBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-05, 09:01 AM   #2
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: Defintion: Drop-Shotting?

first off http://www.bassresource.com has so much info you'll go blind reading

Drop shot is in effect where you tie usually a smaller hook on anywhere from 4" to about 4' above a sinker which is actualy on the very end of the line where the hook normally goes. Baits are usually smaller in size, say 3"-4" in length. The whole object is to keep your bait in a certain area, for a finesse approach. You would cast it out, let it hit the bottom, then take up the slack, and have your bait suspending above the bottom, by the weight, yet your bait is suspended. The bait is then usually wiggled with movement of the rod tip, but actually keeping the bait in place. You then can work it slowly back, to the boat all the while stopping and wiggling the bait every so often. I read lots of stuff about it's origin, and some say it started here, others say Japan. I have to say Japan has my vote. Anyway it was designed more for Clear Deep water finesse tactics, and has proven to be a killer technique. You can also drop shot a bedding bass, because it will keep your bait in the bed longer, and at a height of your choosing. This is a basic version, and I'm by no means a expert with it, but I do read a lot 8)

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-05, 09:45 AM   #3
bassguy2004

Lizards is right on in the description of how it works. Lizards, have you been watching me fish? I believe it was started in Japan as well.
Old 02-18-05, 02:21 PM   #4
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass

Triton, I just put up two articles on BFR within the last month or so, there's a ton of info there on it.
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-05, 05:12 PM   #5
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=earthworm77 link=board=news;num=1108705842;start=0#3 date=02/18/05 at 12:21:11]Triton, I just put up two articles on BFR within the last month or so, there's a ton of info there on it.[/quote]

BFR stands for? Just wandering where to go see your articles.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-05, 06:57 PM   #6
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

bass fishing review maybe?
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-05, 10:07 PM   #7
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

They're on Bass Resource. His name is Craig.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-05, 04:05 AM   #8
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass

I'm sorry, Thanks Marty. How about this, if you go to my site, I'm a sponsor here on Kevin's, www.micromunchtackle.com , click on the bass on the opening page, then scroll down through the links for one titled WormHole articles. There are about 50 articles I've written in the past 3 years or so. 2 Drop shot articles are definately in there.
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.