Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-05, 02:45 PM   #1
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman
Default Big Fish Strategy...Sell out or go for numbers?

Well the last post got me to thinking about something. In my mind there are two schools of thought regarding my chances of catching big fish and how to maximize them....

First, I think maybe I should just try to maximize numbers and by the virtue of probability I will eventually hook into a large fish just the same as if you keep pulling the slot lever you will eventually hit on some cash....this has been my traditional strategy and it has resulted in some ok fish, 4 and 5 pounders, but no 10 pounders. To pursue this strategy I use flukes, jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, occasionally jigs and worms up shallow.

The second more radical strategy is what I woud call "selling out". It is in principle the same thing the guys in cali do for big bass, they throw 8 inch plugs in 35 feet of water. Of course that strategy changes somewhat with the terrain, but the idea of sacrifising 100 dinks in exchange for 1 bite from a monster does not change. For this in my mind you need larger lures, jigs, carolina rigs, big crankbaits which I am terrible with and worms all fished deep or with access to deep water and most of the time a proximity to the main lake.

So I will put it to yall, cause this post is getting too long, which strategy do you pursue for big bass and which has been the most effective?
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-05, 04:01 PM   #2
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman
Default Re: Big Fish Strategy...Sell out or go for numbers

WTL,

Ask yourself "Why am I fishing" and then decide whether it is for sport and relaxation, or whether it is in pursuit of the large 10 lb. bass.
If it is for fun, keep fishing as you have and hopfully you will catch a larger one. (My largest so far is 8 lbs, but I keep on fishing for sport) If you just absolutely have to have a 10 pounder for bragging rights or whatever, then you need to go after it like you are possessed. Go to the big baits, go to the jigs, only fish sunken brush piles and river channels. Then possibly you can catch one of larger magnitude (if you don't get burned out first)

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-05, 04:07 PM   #3
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

being possessed isn't so bad
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-05, 04:33 PM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

JackL is correct IMO. I fish for fun, and to try to catch fish. I definately want to catch a 10lber, but I'm not to the point where I just go for the Hawgs. If I do I will probably be ready to fish for catfish or carp. Since you just wait mostly till something bites. I guess I could throw some poles out for cats/carp while I use some Big Swim baits for Bass :-/ But since I just like bassin mostly doubt that will happen either

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-05, 07:33 PM   #5
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

If you work on learning high percentage areas and lure presentation, you will catch more fish and once in a while a big fish will bite.P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-05, 07:54 PM   #6
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

I'd rather catch 10 average" fish, than one big one. Â*

Even in a tournament situation, I'll beat you at the end of the year.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 01:20 AM   #7
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

Ideally I would like to get to where I do well with both numbers and quality, that is my goal. Jackl, to answer your question, I fish for the challenge. Just reeling in dink after dink isn't all that fun to me, after I have already established a pattern that the dinks are relating to.

What I begin to wonder after a while is whether all my go to techniques and lures are really just targeting the younger, smaller and less educated bass. Or maybe I just havent had my fair share of luck.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 02:07 AM   #8

I like to be consistant too its what got my dad a 9 pounder .anyway its what i like to use cause you can play around with that type lure . my dad and i love yamamoto 5'' senkos black/red fleck.I can fish this bait anywere from 2'' - 35'. I prafure no weight and work it super slow,because I fish around 7' deep water,so you cant see the bass lieing there,on there beds.I'm like only 11 and homeschooled,and have a 3.5 acre pit in my backyard,so i go fishing all i mean all the time. and that means I HAVE to find new presentations all the time.but have baught blenty baits to test.so go to the best of my 60lbs tackle bag,''THE MIGHTY GARY YAMAMOTO SENKO.''
they[the other tackle manufactures]make all different brands of senko type lures.my favorate are

1.strikeking 3xxx zero baits w/o weight
2.kinami flash 5'' w/o weight
3.wave worms ''tiki stick'' w/o wieght
4.chompers ''super sinker'' w/o wieght
5.yum ''dinger''

YOU PICK COLORS
I PRIFFER GREEN PUMPKIN/
RED FLECK, AND BLACK/RED FLECK

NO BACKLASHES,

CONVOYTRUCKER...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.