Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-05, 02:56 PM   #1
tinboat
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to tinboat
Default Lizards?

I love to fish lizards, but dont know if i'm fishin'em right. reply with brands/colors/ot hook/size wieght/.do you like zellamanders,or zoom magnums? :-/
tinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 03:01 PM   #2
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw
Default Re: Lizards?

Often times there good on Carolina Rigs. I just use a 6" lizard with tungsten weights. My best colors are dark colors.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 06:32 PM   #3
big_bad_bass

Well to tell you the truth I'm a culprit man so i use culprit tassel tail lizards. Ok to start off with I'll tell you some colors JUNE BUG (my persinal favorite) is omung the best for murky or stained water along with yellow, pink, and white (they work cuz they are so unatrul that they cause a reaction strike) are also good colors. As for weight you should go with a lighter weight when they are active like a 1/16 or even a 1/32 weight but if they are very slugish and not eating go with a hevier weight to get a reaction strike out of them. Now for hooks go with iether a red hook or an owner hook 5/0.

well i hope this helps
Old 02-28-05, 09:56 PM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=texaskayaker link=board=news;num=1109613375;start=0#0 date=02/28/05 at 12:56:15]I love to fish lizards, but dont know if i'm fishin'em right. reply with brands/colors/ot hook/size wieght/.do you like zellamanders,or zoom magnums? :-/[/quote]

No wrong way to fish them, except by keeping them in your taklebox . Preferred method is t-rigged, weightless, with a Owner 2/0 or 3/0 widegap offset hook. I use a 6'6" MH St Croix Spinning rod, with 20lb Fireline. This setup worksd great for skipping them anywhere you want, great sensitivity, with the line and Rod. Great distant with the spinning reel, and no backlashes while skipping. The Owner hook are designed thicker than most brands, therefor stay sharp and in shape, even after hooking into logs( I do also like the Gammy Superline Hook also). A lizards greatest attributes are it's legs, and tails, which vibrate/wiggle. If you weight them you get a lot less realistic presentation in my opinion. You can hop them on top of mats, just like a frog, with better hook sets. You can slowly swim them for a great presentation. I also like them on c-rigs, not a huge fan of large weights for them on a t-rig. The smaller the better as was already stated. I use a twitch twitch pause method of retrieving them. The pause and the length of the twitches is determined by the fish. In lock jaw mode obviuosly working them extremly slow, to even deadsticking them. When fish are active, it works well, as a topwater bait,as you can reel it across the top like a buzzbait(Zellamanders work great fro this, with the 2 tails) So yes I like the Zellamanders, and Zoom Magnums, is one of the many baits I'll be taking to Florida in April. My staple of Lizards is the Zoom 6" all Black Salt impregnated Lizards. Why because they are availble here readily, and are as inexspensive as any others. I do really like the Powerbait in the same color and size, they are more pricey, and not as readlily available. White is good for bedding bass, or any sight fishing. But any color will truly work, it's the baits action that is most important. OK I rambled enough, there are several hundred other things you can say. But the excell both in clear and stained water. I prefer darker colors other than sight fishing.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 11:23 PM   #5
fishinmusician
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishinmusician

I use 6" Zoom lizards in watermelon seed with a small bullet weight, Texas rigged on 3/0 Gamakatsu EWG hook. The technique I use to fish a lizard is simple....... Throw it out into a spot that looks like it will hold Bass, let it sink for a couple of seconds, then slowly start reeling the lizard back in. Most of the time Bass hit it right when I start retrieving.
fishinmusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-05, 10:58 PM   #6
Worm_King
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Worm_King

If you can find them cheap give Strike King's 3X lizards a try. If not go with Zoom. Zoom's are around $2.50 for a package of 9 and are at every Wal-Mart in tons of colors. The 3X lizards are around $3.50 for a pack of 5 but their action is awesome esecially carolina rigged, and they don't tear up as easy.
Worm_King is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.