Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-05, 02:37 PM   #1
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Rod Guide replacing

OK I've replaced tons of rod tips before, but never a complete set. Now the question is really whether I shoud send it in to have it done, or do it myself, and learn it at the same time, with probably more overall exspense than sending it in. I have a St Croix Premier series6'6" MH 2pc spinning rod. The tip, and the first guide are down to the metal(inserts are gone), the second guide down is broken on one side. Which means both pieces need work. It's one of my favorite rod's, along with it's brother a 1 piece ;D. Anyway I need to get them replaced, and since I might as well replace them all, just wondering if any rod builders out there, can give me any tips. I don't want to start building rods at this point, not near enough time for that. But if it was relatively easy and inexspensive I thought I might give it a shot. By the time I pay to have all the guides replaced, it may be just as well to buy a new rod ???

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 07:25 PM   #2
housework101
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to housework101
Default Re: Rod Guide replacing

I have built more than a few rods over the years,it's not really what I would call hard just time consuming.
Heres a link to a very good online video from one of the best.http://www.mudhole.com/docs/101/video/artvideo.html

Also a good site for rod parts and supply's.
Removing the old epoxy will be your biggest challenge,a heat gun and some patience with a sharp utility knife works pretty well.
housework101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-05, 11:10 AM   #3
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

I replaced one of mine on a favorite rod. I just took a guide off another rod, cleaned up the one it was going too, then super glued the guide to the blank. (Used a Mark one Eyeball to line it up.) Then I wrapped it, and finished the wrappin off with some clear fingernail polish. That was two seasons ago. It's not pretty, but it works. It's almost impossible to find somone around here to fix anything. I put a reel in the shop back in August and it hasn't come back yet. I'm glad I've got plenty of reels.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-05, 11:55 AM   #4
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

CAJUN,
Send your reels to Metropolitan Reel Service, Springfield MO. (The address is in the BPS catalog) About a two week turnaround. They are factory reps for many brands of reels in case your reels need parts.

JackL

jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-05, 02:13 PM   #5
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Thanks Jack. I could not remember their name. I used to order parts from them and fix my own reels. I looked for their phone number in the BPS book I had and couldn't find it back in August. Couldn't find anyplace online to order parts. I'll check in the new book. Most reel problems I can fix myself.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-05, 10:43 PM   #6
Worm_King
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Worm_King

Lizards,

If you decide to replace it yourself I've got thread and epoxy you can use. It's not that expensive from Cabela's but if it's not something you plan on doing a lot and don't want to order a whole spool just let me know. I've got a rod I've been meaning to replace the guides on but haven't had time to do it yet.
Worm_King is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.