Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-05, 12:20 AM   #1
bassbum
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassbum
Default Line expiration

I was wondering if unused fishing line gets so old that it gets brittle or no good to use? I have tons of old line in the garage (it seems that i buy new line when buying tackle because i forget what i have). If there is an expiration, i need to throw it out.
Sandra
bassbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 12:37 AM   #2
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva
Default Re: Line expiration

i don't know if they date the line but yeah,it goes bad if it sits too long.you have to check it good before you buy it.sometimes the line on the shelf in the tackle shop is old.i have seen this.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 01:48 PM   #3
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

To keep your line from rotting too soon, keep it in a dark environment, with a constant room temp. If possible keep light from hitting your line while in storage.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 02:40 PM   #4
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

Switch to Braid. I use PowerPro and it will never expire. and you use less because you will not break it off.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 07:01 PM   #5
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

yeah i had some line that sat in my garage and it got crusty and started to peel away. it was cheap line tho
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 08:08 AM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Spray it with Reel Magic and use it as a backer line for your more exspensive line. You don't care what it does as backing except take up room on the spool

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 08:14 AM   #7
toto
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to toto

I had some old (15 yrs old) 4 lb line i had in my garage that i put on an ultra lite setup. I wasnt fishing for it but i caught a 15 lb striper with it.. A 15 lb striper on new 4lb line id say is pretty good much less 15 yrs old.
toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 09:24 AM   #8
nb122679
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey lizards,

You were saying if you have some cheap line around, use if to help fill up the spool for the more expensive line. How much of the better line would you put on the reel? Also, just tie the 2 lines together with any type of knot! And last but not least. What is the purpose of the reel magic on the backer line. Sorry for all the question at once. Thanks in advance for you response.

Kevin
nb122679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 10:47 AM   #9
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

If stored properly mono won't "go bad". Â*In a dark, cool place is ideal. Â*Heat and sunlight are the enemies of mono. Â*

From time to time when you are spooling line onto a reel, you'll notice some white power coming off on your hands. Â*That's nothing to be alarmed about. Â*That's a finish that is put on the yarn, (as we call it in the business) to make it slip through the guides of the spinning machine better. Â*It does nothing to the strength of the yarn. Â*Most of it is burned off by the heated rolls on the spinning machines. Â*(Drawing the yarn over heated rolls is what gives it it's strength and other properties. Â*Adjusting the speed and temp of the rolls is how you vary those properties.)

If I want to use backing on a reel, I put about two long casts worth of good line on top of the backing. Â*You can either tie them together with a special knot that is sort of like two improved clinch knots, or you can just tie an overhand knot and spool up. Â*Of course the overhand will not be strong at all, but it will get the line onto the spool. Â*Which I use depends on how big a hurry I'm in, and how lazy I am.

That knot is called a "blood knot". This will show you how to tie it.

http://www.marinews.com/fishing/Knot.../fk_bloodk.htm
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 11:45 AM   #10
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=kshort29 link=board=news;num=1109128852;start=0#7 date=02/24/05 at 07:24:39]Hey lizards,

You were saying if you have some cheap line around, use if to help fill up the spool for the more expensive line. How much of the better line would you put on the reel? Also, just tie the 2 lines together with any type of knot! And last but not least. What is the purpose of the reel magic on the backer line. Sorry for all the question at once. Thanks in advance for you response.

Kevin
[/quote]

Cajun pretty much covered a lot of it. I personally fill up my spinning reels 1/2 the way with the cheeper stuff, and then the Fireline/Powerpro. I really don't use any special knot, I don't want to get to the knot before I'm ready to respool anyway. The Reel Magic, will just lube up the backer line and help resist some line twist/memory issues as you are putting it on(Not neccessary but preferred). On baitcasters, so far I really don't have enough experience to say how much or not. Just remember it's easy to spool up 30-50 feet anytime you need. But with spinning gear, once you get down to 1/2 the spool the rig doesn't cast as well IMO.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 06:34 PM   #11
bassbum
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks, Lizards,

I will use it for instead of throwing it away. I usually end up throwing good line away when i change my line out, never thought about tying cheap line on first

Sandra
Old 02-24-05, 09:32 PM   #12
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

I store my stuff in the basement, and, as others have said, mono line can still perform after many years. I've never had to throw any away due to going bad. For as long as I can remember, I've used cheap line as backing and spool about 50-60 yards of the good stuff on top of the backing.

Which means, of course, that I can get 6 or 7 line changes from a $6 spool of 330-400 yards.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 09:35 PM   #13
basstard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to basstard

bfg use fire line if u can it works it never waers out
basstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 05:29 AM   #14
bassbum
BassFishin.Com Member

Cajun,

Thanks for the link on tying the lines together.

Sandra

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.