Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-08, 09:59 AM   #26
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hahahahaha, yea that WAS a long time ago.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 06:32 PM   #27
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I had a ranger 4x4 4.0 V6. got 12-15mpg to the gallon (ugh)

traded that in for my newest vehicle, and I must say I truly love this vehicle...

2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT 4x4 V8 Standard Cab Standard Bed. Get 16-18mpg major improvement over the Ranger and ten times more power.
Old 12-07-08, 08:41 PM   #28
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

One word: American. I'm a big fan of some trucks, not a big fan of others, but I'd take a Chevy, Ford, Dodge, GMC or any other over a toyota any day.

I'd take a look at one of those newer Cadilac escalades, the ones that look like the Chevy Avalanche. Very purty truck, if you wanna call it that... Lol, kidding of course, Lookin at the price of the Avalanche, I wouldn't even wanna know about the cadilac.

Anyways, good luck findin' something. if you can wait till the 09 models come out, you'll have a lot more option, including the new Dodge Rams and Silverado/Sierra hybrids. All worth takin a look at IMO.

BB
Old 12-07-08, 08:57 PM   #29
Bob Smith

KMB55, if your boat is only 500 lbs, or 900 lbs fully loaded, trailer and all, the Camry should have no problem with it. Just be sure and geta trailer hitch that is attached to the frame of the car and you should be able to handle it fine. I would suggest a sway bar and load-leveling shocks on the rear axle to be on the safe side.
BTW Welcome to the site, there are no adversaries on here, we are all friends!
Old 12-07-08, 10:54 PM   #30
woody

Personally I would stick with what you've got, your gonna want some power hauling that boat around, especially when your climbing hills and your Montero should be able to deliver, for a little while anyways. Just use the Camry for day to day driving.

The only way that I know how to get out of a used vehicle what it's worth is to "drive 'em until the wheels fall off" so to speak.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 02:54 PM   #31
66KingFisher

My fishin buddy pulls our old fiberglass boat with an older Toyota Tundra...not sure of the year but he's had it for the 8yrs i've known him, and I got to tell ya this little truck has just impressed the heck outta me and i'm not that easy to impress....lol.

I don't know the exact specifics, but its a 4 banger with an automatic....2 wheel drive.....pulls the boat without a worry in the world....walks right up the steepest of hills or boat ramps.....I don't know its exact milage but I believe its in the mid to upper 20's, and thats sayin alot since we don't live anywhere near a flat section of road....hehehe....Too many mountains round here....although some of ya'll would probably call'm hills, not mountains.

I'm a touch over 6ft tall and the extended cab allows me plenty of leg room....It also has plenty of ground clearance and looks like its a 4X4 but its not, so theres no need for all the extra maintenance that goes along with owning a four wheel drive......the fact is this little Toyota truck makes a great vehicle for our outdoors huntin/fishin/towin rig...So much so that I've tried to buy it from him a couple of times....but he ain't ready to part with it yet....can't say I blame him...lol.....maybe something like it would work for you?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OurFishinRig.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	2947  
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-08, 11:02 PM   #32
barkelypup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Unless you are just wanting a new vehicle I would keep what you have. You must weight the price vs. the saving you could get from a couple more miles per gallon. I will say this though. I had an 04 Chevy Silverado 4 door and sold it. Being a farmer and 4000 lb boat owner I had to have somthing back 4x4 and stout enough to pull the boat. I found a 99 Tahoe on Craigsist and bought it for 3800 bucks. with under 100,000 miles. The best thing is it gets around 16 to 17 mpg's and it even has leather heated seats. Now I've not pulled the boat with it but I'm sure there won't be an ounce of trouble. I was able to pay off some debt and still get a decent ride back to handle most all my needs. Unless you want to down grade in vehicle's or pay off some debt just keep your current ride.

Ohh yeah, that peach basket crack about made me wake up the kiddo's due to laughing so hard.

bP
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-08, 11:20 PM   #33
quenston
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I had a 2000 dodge ram with a v-6 and it pulled my Cajun just fine, then I upgraded my boat to a slightly used and abused Z-7 (long story) and traded my truck in on a 07 chevy ext cab with a V-8 and get 16-17 mpg depending on the conditions. Your Montero as others has said should do great, but at the same point you have to look at where you are going to travel rather it be local or going on a long trip, and you also have to look at the terrain that you will be traveling when you get to go fishin!!!! Just my .02 worth......
quenston is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.