Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-05, 06:50 PM   #1
Kobie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Kobie
Default Spawning, what bait?

Well, went out in the raft in the big big pond today trying to catch some fishies. First time being on this pond in a raft. Went to some nice places but had no luck.

Used top water, spinner, worms.. everything. Nothing was biting. Saw a ton of spawning spots and bass in them. They weren't biting for anything.

What should be try to use?

Hard to take water shots, but you can kind of see the 2 bass just hoovering over there nest.

I love the little raft!
Kobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 06:54 PM   #2
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52
Default Re: Spawning, what bait?

read my post Picky Bedding Bass on the tips and tricks section
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 07:12 PM   #3
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

i would have took a jig head and rigged up a tiki dipstik t-rigged on the jig head and casted past that bed and hopped it unto the bed. i love when i can see the bed and bass, makes it for great fishing, and watching.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 07:21 PM   #4
Kobie
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=PowerBass link=board=MessBoards;num=1115848215;start=0#1 date=05/11/05 at 17:54:45]read my post Picky Bedding Bass on the tips and tricks section[/quote]

I just read it, thanks. I suppose crawdad will be good.

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=MessBoards;num=1115848215;start=0#2 date=05/11/05 at 18:12:07]i would have took a jig head and rigged up a tiki dipstik t-rigged on the jig head and casted past that bed and hopped it unto the bed. i love when i can see the bed and bass, makes it for great fishing, and watching.[/quote]

that's wayy too technical for me. t-rigged tiki dipstick on a jig head. I have no idea what that is, lol
Old 05-11-05, 07:34 PM   #5
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

ok, i'll make this easy for you, by using what else? PICTURES!!!! ;D you take one of these(jighead)
and texas rig(im sure you know what that is) one of these on it(tiki stik)
i couldnt find a picture of the dipstiks, but that is what i prefer. i also prefer the color redbug/chartruese, in tiki stiks it would just be redbug.
Old 05-11-05, 08:40 PM   #6
Kobie
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=MessBoards;num=1115848215;start=0#4 date=05/11/05 at 18:34:43]ok, i'll make this easy for you, by using what else? PICTURES!!!! ;D you take one of these(jighead)
and texas rig(im sure you know what that is) one of these on it(tiki stik)
i couldnt find a picture of the dipstiks, but that is what i prefer. i also prefer the color redbug/chartruese, in tiki stiks it would just be redbug.[/quote]

thank you very much. It's much better seeing pictures, hehe.
Old 05-11-05, 10:43 PM   #7
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

2 words "cast net"

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 11:32 PM   #8
Kobie
BassFishin.Com Member

What size jighead should I use?
Old 05-11-05, 11:43 PM   #9
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

a heavier jig then the bait, the main reason for the jighead is to make it look like the bait is eating eggs.
Old 05-12-05, 12:58 AM   #10
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

you know where the beds are...move away,make longer casts,right to the bank and drag your bait onto the bed.i tried sight fishing for bedding bass this morning,,couldn't get any to bite...then moved off about 15 yds and doing what i said before..got 6 bass that way..in about 2 hrs.
i was using a (dare i say it)LIZARD..yes, a black lizard..
c'mon lizzy say something
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 07:49 AM   #11
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=zooker link=board=MessBoards;num=1115848215;start=0#6 date=05/11/05 at 21:43:14]2 words "cast net"

zooker[/quote]

LMAO ;D
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 07:51 AM   #12
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassintom link=board=MessBoards;num=1115848215;start=0#9 date=05/11/05 at 23:58:28]you know where the beds are...move away,make longer casts,right to the bank and drag your bait onto the bed.i tried sight fishing for bedding bass this morning,,couldn't get any to bite...then moved off about 15 yds and doing what i said before..got 6 bass that way..in about 2 hrs.
i was using a (dare i say it)LIZARD..yes, a black lizard..
c'mon lizzy say something [/quote]

Well what do you know it actually did work

Well sometimes even a blind dog finds a bone once in awhile. Glad I got another convert or is it convict ;D

Lizards
Old 05-12-05, 10:51 AM   #13
uk03
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to uk03

No one using white lizards any more? How about a tube?
uk03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 01:08 PM   #14
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Tony link=board=MessBoards;num=1115848215;start=0#12 date=05/12/05 at 09:51:36]No one using white lizards any more? How about a tube?[/quote]

I still use white lizards ;D

Where you been man, I miss you and your humor. Heck PNJ had to dig up the fried egg thing ??? Hope the fishing has been good for you.

Lizards
Old 05-12-05, 05:25 PM   #15
daveraynor
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to daveraynor

A lizard, tube, and I also like a Yum wooly hawg craw.
daveraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 11:40 PM   #16
Kobie
BassFishin.Com Member

Went out in the raft for about 5hrs today. Another friend came 2hrs later or so and he brought worms. First cast with the worm I caught a bass. other then that, I got nothing the whole day. Was using crawdad, ticki stick, tube... I must be fishing wrong or something. although, no1 seemed to be catching anything.

little pike... he was causing havok!
Old 05-12-05, 11:50 PM   #17
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

well, you were using the wrong bait. those bass are spawning, the bass you caught was probally a late spawner. the bass arnt looking for food, atleast the bigger ones arnt. they are protecting their beds, and arnt gunna hit a messly little worm. you were on the right track when you used the artificials, now just locate a bed and toss a tiki on there, hold on!!
Old 05-13-05, 09:28 PM   #18
uk03
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to uk03

[quote author=lizardsrule link=board=MessBoards;num=1115848215;start=0#13 date=05/12/05 at 12:08:12]

I still use white lizards ;D

Where you been man, I miss you and your humor. Â*Heck PNJ had to dig up the fried egg thing ??? Â*Hope the fishing has been good for you.

Lizards[/quote]

Been incredibly busy at work! YYou know the deal, you do good, so they give you more and more to do! The boys are both playing baseball, and have about 3 games each to go! Plus there were some annoying forum members...need I say more?

How are you doing?
uk03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-05, 11:11 PM   #19
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

tony
the fishing is getting red hot at spruce run...make some time to fish.
Old 05-14-05, 09:25 PM   #20
Kobie
BassFishin.Com Member

Fished for an hour at farrington. Half caught a pike on a small white spinner.. didn't hook him right. he was giving a nice fight though
Old 05-15-05, 07:17 PM   #21
Kobie
BassFishin.Com Member

caught a rainbow trout today.. foul hooked it, but i still caught it!
Old 05-17-05, 01:20 PM   #22
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Tony link=board=MessBoards;num=1115848215;start=0#17 date=05/13/05 at 20:28:12]

Been incredibly busy at work! YYou know the deal, you do good, so they give you more and more to do! The boys are both playing baseball, and have about 3 games each to go! Plus there were some annoying forum members...need I say more?

How are you doing?[/quote]

YES I KNOW I've been doing fine, just not fishing enough either. Hope your boys go pro, then they can pay for you to fish all the time ;D It is good to hear form you, keep in touch.

Lizards
Old 05-18-05, 12:57 AM   #23
gcooper62239
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gcooper62239

I hope this helps. It sure works for me.

I have spent the last four weeks bed fishing and I have been noticing several people wasting allot of time twitching a lizard around on a bed. This one guy said he had been anchored down in the same spot for about 4 hours. I believe him because I passed him 3 times as I was circling this 92 acre lake and stopping to catch several fish along the way.
Some of you may have already figured it out. If you haven't, you should try this.
First of all pick up some type of stand-up jig head in 1/4oz or larger. I prefer the Spot Remover by Buckeye Bait Co but any stand up jig will work. Also get a few bags of either YUM or Mad Man Crawfish tubes, medium to large, in any color. (I am not sponsored by any of these companies.) Tie the jig on a heavy action, 7+-foot rod. Use a high-speed reel with braided line. Put an anchor in the front and back of your boat or if you are bank fishing forget about the boat part. Wear a hat and a pair of polarized sunglasses so you can see the fish. (Gray lenses for sunny days and Amber lenses for low light or cloudy days.)
Now that you have the equipment it's time to start looking for beds. I am not going into how to locate a bed. That has been covered time and time again on the site. I am going to talk about what I do after I find a bed with two fish on it.
Every bass, when on the bed, has (for lack of better words) a personality or mood. As you come up to a bed watch what the bass do. If they swim way off into deep water and take more than a minute to return. Move on to the next bed. If they return quickly or stay put then back off just far enough to barely see the bed and drop both anchors.
Make a few flip cast past the bed and bounce the jig into the middle of it. Don't try to catch the male (the smaller fish) at first. If he picks up the jig, let him carry it off and drop it. The key at this point is to watch the female. She should be off the bed a little unless they are actively laying eggs. After the first several casts if she starts to move closer to the bed then you should concentrate on catching her first. As she moves closer the male will try to shield her from the jig, eventually she will either beat him to the jig and pick it up or back off even more. If she backs off and doesn't move back in or she won't move in to start with then go ahead and catch the male. After you catch him she will soon move in to guard the bed. It may take her a few minutes to relize the male is gone so just sit there and wait. When she finally does this. Resume casting to the bed. Make sure the bass can see the jig as you move it onto the bed. Eventually the fish will start to get madder and madder and start to lock on the bed. The presence of bream will only help to speed up this process.
If you have a bass, male or female, who is almost locked on, for example moves off a short way and comes back quickly, but just won't pick up your jig. Then it's still a very catchable fish. Your goal is to get them so mad and locked onto the bed that they don't move more than 2 feet without turning and going directly back. You do this is by knocking them around a little.
If the bass has its side towards you, flip past it a little and bounce the jig in quickly. Let it fall directly behind the fish. Keep your rod tip high. Now drag it until it bumps the fish. Slowly try to pull the fish towards you. After doing this a few times, if you haven't hooked it, get more aggressive. Try to hit the fish as many times as you can with your jig. Do not try to cast to the fish when it is off the bed. You run the risk of scaring the fish off.
If the fish is facing you, that's even better. A fish can't see directly behind its self. So flip past it and bring it rite over its head and attempt to hit it between the eyes. This may surprise the fish into grabbing the jig. If not, keep knocking it around until it grabs it. This whole process can take up to a half hour, but when done rite usually only take a few minutes.
The beauty of the stand-up jig with a crawfish is the fact that you don't have to make sure the fish has the hook in its mouth before setting it. The hook is sticking straight up and the only thing sticking up past the hook is the claws of the crawfish. The fish won’t try to grab the claws. It will try to grab past the claws and 99.9% of the time will have the hook in its mouth. I have tried this in lakes that have crawfish and ones that don't and the outcome is the same. A SWEET fish in your hand.
In the last month I have landed 132 fish ranging from 1-pound males to 8-pound females. (No kidding. It's all in my fishing log.) Like I said some of you may have already figured this out but for those who are having trouble getting those “lock jawed” bass to pick up their lizard. Try it. You won’t be disappointed.
gcooper62239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-05, 02:56 PM   #24
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

i use a different bait but obtain the same results...the only thing i disagree with you about and it's really just a matter of opinion....that you can scare a bass away from it's bed.IMO,that bass won't go far for too long.i don't believe a bass would just abandon a bed cuz you make too much commotion.there is one place i can drive into the willow bushes with my TM on full to get in there,but there are beds at the roots of all these bushes.i drop my baits into the roots maybe 2 ft from my boat and catch fish.the water is slightly stained before i get in there.then it's mud..if i didn't scare with all that,they are very catchable fish. ;D
very good post flukemeister,WELCOME

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.