Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-05, 07:08 PM   #1
bassmaster111
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster111
Default worm fishin?

what kind of reel setup (reel type, rod action and lb test like) is best for plastic worm fishing

thanks
bassmaster111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-05, 07:43 PM   #2
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181
Default Re: worm fishin?

6.5 foot Lightening Rod by Berkley with Medium-Light action combined with an open faced spinning reel and 6 or 8 lb Berkley Sensation line for use with plastic worms....either weightless and Texposed or with as little weight as possible.
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-05, 07:47 PM   #3
big_bad_bass

[quote author=Mac10 link=board=news;num=1109542100;start=0#1 date=02/27/05 at 17:43:28]6.5 foot Lightening Rod by Berkley with Medium-Light action combined with an open faced spinning reel and 6 or 8 lb Berkley Sensation line for use with plastic worms....either weightless and Texposed or with as little weight as possible.[/quote]
he is write use as little weight as passible. A 1/16 or 1/32 bullet weight will do.
Old 02-27-05, 07:49 PM   #4
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

I prefer to use the rod & reel that I already have. ;D It don't seem to matter in my opinion, but the rod I like to use is a 6'6" MH rod.I like 12lb-17 lb test but alot of people use lighter. I fish weeds therefore I use heavier line.I have got to get back to the basic of regular worming more, I have only been using 10'"-12" worms which catch alot of regular size bass, I just think no one around my area uses a worm much anymore.They favor tube baits and senkos. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-05, 08:01 PM   #5
bassguy2004

6'6" med. hvy, baitcasting 15lb lo-vis green 3/16 oz sinker pegged. I like to fish the weeds, rushes, and cattails also and the 15 lb High Impact Stren works great.
Old 02-27-05, 08:11 PM   #6
bassmaster111
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster111

do some of you prefer baitcasting or a spinning reel?
bassmaster111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-05, 09:45 PM   #7
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

[quote author=bassin4ever link=board=news;num=1109542100;start=0#0 date=02/27/05 at 17:08:20]what kind of reel setup (reel type, rod action and lb test like) is best for plastic worm fishing[/quote]
There is no "best" rod, reel, line, lure, or anything else. Everyone has their favorites, as can be seen from the variety of responses. I personally use a 6'6" spinning rod, medium power, with 10# mono or 14# Fireline.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-05, 10:24 PM   #8
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to james33

Well I think that there is a best rod, reel, line lure....
The trick is not the "what rod", it's the "why this rod".
Look at it like this.

Posted by: Mac10 Posted on: Today at 4:43pm
6.5 foot Lightening Rod by Berkley with Medium-Light action combined with an open faced spinning reel and 6 or 8 lb Berkley Sensation line for use with plastic worms....either weightless and Texposed or with as little weight as possible.

And theres nothing wrong with this setup.

Then you got.

Posted by: pig_n_jig Posted on: Today at 4:49pm
I prefer to use the rod & reel that I already have. It don't seem to matter in my opinion, but the rod I like to use is a 6'6" MH rod.I like 12lb-17 lb test but alot of people use lighter. [glow=red,2,300]I fish weeds therefore I use heavier line.[/glow] Ihave got to get back to the basic of regular worming more, I have only been using 10'"-12" worms which catch alot of regular size bass, I just think no one around my area uses a worm much anymore.They favor tube baits and senkos. P N J

Nothing wrong with this either but note what P-N-J wrote that I highlighted.
Different conditions will dictate the better thing to use.
james33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-05, 10:47 PM   #9
PackerBasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to PackerBasser

I use a 6'6 m/h bc combo with 14 lb test cajun red lightlin,i do like this line,a 4.0 gamagatsu and a senko preferably black or purple 5"
PackerBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-05, 11:36 PM   #10
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

6-6 MH AllStar WR1 rod, BPS Exreme reel and 50lb PowerPro braid.

as IL said, nothing wrong with either setup-use what works for you.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-05, 11:38 PM   #11
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

I use a 6'6" BPS Extreme combo. Any 6'6' MH rod is good though as long as it can detect the bites. I used a M action rod fro a while and it was fine.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 09:38 AM   #12
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Rebbasser link=board=news;num=1109542100;start=0#9 date=02/27/05 at 21:36:20]6-6 MH AllStar WR1 rod, BPS Exreme reel and 50lb PowerPro braid.[/quote]

Yeah all you sissy boys get outa here. Iuse 20-30lb Fireline(fused), or 30-50lb Powerpro(braid). I use a St Croix MH 6'6" rod.

Quote:
as IL said, nothing wrong with either setup-use what works for you.
As everyone has stated. It's what rig your using, and WHERE you are fishing. If say I was drop shotting in 20feet of water with NO cover, heck 6lb test with ML spinning gear is fine(for sissy's anyway
) But if I'm pitching a Lizard into a Beaver's House, I want some serious equipment. I tend to fish the heaviest cover I can get too, which most folks run from Use the right set up that is needed.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 04:31 PM   #13
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

A 7' All-Star MH.
For a reel I use a Quantum PT Energy Series with a 6:1 retrieve.
Note: I use the reels that costs 160$-200$
(not the KVD series -100$)
17 lb Stren Fluocarbon line.
Low stretch invisible line thats got the power to pull big bass from nasty places.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 10:17 PM   #14
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983

I've used spinning, spooled with magna flex line. Spinning will get you longer distance with lighter worms. This year I am going to use a bait-caster. Been practicing in the snow. Tried pitching yesterday. Ouch...nothing but birds nests..Oh well with this new storm I guess I won't be out till the end of march anyway. Heavier worms like senkos and tiki bamboo stix are not to hard for a beginner with baitcasters. So it will be both for me.

Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-05, 12:19 AM   #15
GeeBeeJim

[quote author=lizardsrule link=board=news;num=1109542100;start=0#11 date=02/28/05 at 07:38:28]

Yeah all you sissy boys get outa here. Â*Iuse 20-30lb

spinning gear is fine for sissy's anyway
Â*But if I'm pitching a Lizard into a Beaver's House, I want some serious equipment. Â*I tend to fish the heaviest cover I can get too, which most folks run from

Lizards[/quote]

WOW Â*! ! ! Â*Now there is a real Macho man Â*! Â*WOW Â*! ! !
Old 03-01-05, 12:07 PM   #16
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

7' ugly stick, shakespeare spinning reel, 30# Power Pro. Only ugly stick I own. Will and have yanked some fish out of some deep hyacinths with this combo. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.