Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-11, 10:59 PM   #1
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default froggin setup

I know i asked this before but i cam back with new questions haha. my reel i want to get for it Bass Pro Nitro 5:1:1 and for the rod Bass Pro Bionic blade 7 foot anyone have different suggestion
Old 11-30-11, 11:08 PM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I don't know much about the rod or reel, but I would look at something with a little faster gear ratio for froggin. Maybe a 6.4:1 or a 7.1:1
Old 11-30-11, 11:24 PM   #3
Scott the fishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
I don't know much about the rod or reel, but I would look at something with a little faster gear ratio for froggin. Maybe a 6.4:1 or a 7.1:1
Okay, i will and if you don't mind me asking what do you use for froggin?
Old 11-30-11, 11:43 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have to agree. That 5:1 ratio is a little slow for froggin IMO. Not that it won't work, I just prefer a reel with a faster line retrieval rate. I'm using a Garcia Revo S with the 6.4:1 ratio and it's paired with a Garcia Vendetta 7'3" H/XF. It's spooled with 50# Performance braid.
Old 11-30-11, 11:55 PM   #5
kennethdaysale

Scott If you have a rod/reel combo that works well for throwing a buzzbait that should make a good frogging outfit. Works for me anyway.
Old 12-01-11, 01:07 AM   #6
bassfishkansas
BassFishin.Com Member

I use a 6' M cabelas tourney trail rod and a 7.1:1 Diawa reel. Rod is short, but i like it for skippingg under docks. You should probably go with like a 6' 10" and a fast reel. Ratios in the fives are a little bit slow for topwaters... but it's a personal preferance.
bassfishkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-11, 09:09 AM   #7
lilmule

For most applications say grass,7 ft rod med heavy,fairly fast tip to mod tip
rods none of mine cost over 125 delivered some less,carrot stix,kistler
For real hefty frogging in lilly pads for 4 + bass heavy action same length(gave 76 bucks for one off ebay new,all star 7 ft 2 in jig /frog rod)
reels bass pro 6/3/1,6/4/1 used off ebay for 30 bucks ea is whats on most of mine,one has a new 7/1.Braid no mono 45-50 red cajin for abrasive stuff heavy veggies ,30 pd power pro for light grass and flippin less visable and casts longer.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-11, 10:53 AM   #8
bassboogieman

For hollow-bodied frogs on pads or mats, I use an older ('08) Kistler LTA 7'6" H/f rod (the only full cork handle rod I still have because I like it for frogs and could not part with it), paired with a Pflueger Asaro (wide spool) reel & 50# Suffix braid. The reel is a 6.3:1, but the line recovery is down around 26" per turn, so it's a faster ratio with a bit slower retreive rate, which works well for me. Buzz frogs, like a Horny Toad, I use a 7'0" MH/f Kistler LTX paired with a Pflueger Patriarch 6.3:1 reel and 15# Yo-Zuri Hybrid line.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 12-01-11 at 11:00 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-11, 11:08 AM   #9
bigbasser

Send a message via ICQ to bigbasser
Default frog set-up

I use a Powell 735 with a Quantum tour pt 7.1, there's reviews on frog rods on ( www.tackletour.com ). Cabelas was just selling the tour for $100 black friday, and there was a lot of sales going on with some great deals. Also check out " hot deals on the forum page at Tackle tour. bigbasser
bigbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-11, 12:38 PM   #10
Bassboss

You need a faster reel with a good drag. With a slow one like that you're not gonna be able to get the fish out cover when it counts. 7' is ok as long it it's a heavy powered rod. If it's a MH it's not gonna do as well, and with a M you're not gonna be able to get the hooks into em. 7'6" Heavy with a light enough tip it cast the frog well is best.

Heavy Braid is a must. You're gonna need at least 40lb test.

Last edited by Bassboss; 12-01-11 at 07:41 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-11, 02:16 PM   #11
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
You need a faster reel with a good drag. With a slow one like that you're not gonna be able to get the fish out cover when it counts. 7' is ok as long it it's a heavy powered rod. If it's a MH it's not gonna do as well, and with a M you're gonna be able to get the hooks into em. 7'6" Heavy with a light enough tip it cast the rods is best.

Heavy Braid is a must. You're gonna need at least 40lb test.
1) "You're gonna need at least 40lb test" - how did you arrive at that conclusion? "need" is a pretty strong word. I caught the 2 biggest bass of my life (6.0 & 6.9 lbs) using 30lb braid, and I dragged in half the lake with the 6.0 pounder. I think how heavy you want your line to be will depend on how heavy or thick the cover is you'll be fishing in.

2) Seems like you're missing the word "not" in this part - "with a M you're gonna be able to get the hooks into em".

3) I have no idea what this sentence is saying -- "7'6" Heavy with a light enough tip it cast the rods is best." -- maybe a word or two is missing/wrong in the last part of it?
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-11, 07:22 PM   #12
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott the fishman View Post
Okay, i will and if you don't mind me asking what do you use for froggin?

I have a couple setups that work good for the frog fishing I do. The first is a 7ft St.Croix Premier Heavy Fast with a Pflueger Asaro wide spool on it. The other is a 7'6" Abu Veritas 6 power fast action with a Pflueger President wide spool. One has Power Pro braid on it the other has Suffix 832, forget the lb test off the top of my head.
Old 12-01-11, 07:32 PM   #13
Scott the fishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
For hollow-bodied frogs on pads or mats, I use an older ('08) Kistler LTA 7'6" H/f rod (the only full cork handle rod I still have because I like it for frogs and could not part with it), paired with a Pflueger Asaro (wide spool) reel & 50# Suffix braid. The reel is a 6.3:1, but the line recovery is down around 26" per turn, so it's a faster ratio with a bit slower retreive rate, which works well for me. Buzz frogs, like a Horny Toad, I use a 7'0" MH/f Kistler LTX paired with a Pflueger Patriarch 6.3:1 reel and 15# Yo-Zuri Hybrid line.
I was going to go look for the reel could not find it. on Pfluegers website it didn't have it do you know if they dicountinued them
Old 12-01-11, 07:42 PM   #14
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
1) "You're gonna need at least 40lb test" - how did you arrive at that conclusion? "need" is a pretty strong word. I caught the 2 biggest bass of my life (6.0 & 6.9 lbs) using 30lb braid, and I dragged in half the lake with the 6.0 pounder. I think how heavy you want your line to be will depend on how heavy or thick the cover is you'll be fishing in.

2) Seems like you're missing the word "not" in this part - "with a M you're gonna be able to get the hooks into em".

3) I have no idea what this sentence is saying -- "7'6" Heavy with a light enough tip it cast the rods is best." -- maybe a word or two is missing/wrong in the last part of it?
What are you an english teacher? Geez.

Bell had just run when I was about half way though, had to hurry an type it so I wasn't late. Corrections have been made Mr.Dean.

40lb because if you've got a big bass on the line in thick cover, with nicked up line, you're much more likely to break off with lighter line... and no one likes loosing big bass. It's more of an insurance policy then anything. 50lb is better though IMO, it's also what Dean Rojas recommends. Was my explanation good enough for you Mr.Basspro?

I appreciate the corrections, but did you really have to do it here? Especially is you're gonna answer the OP, but merely critique my post. Sorry if my post sorta confused ya Scott, lol. Made the corrections for ya bud!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott the fishman View Post
I was going to go look for the reel could not find it. on Pfluegers website it didn't have it do you know if they dicountinued them
Sure have been, if I'm not mistaking, TW has the Asaro for around 100 bucks on sale.

Last edited by Bassboss; 12-01-11 at 08:05 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-11, 08:46 PM   #15
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I have to agree. That 5:1 ratio is a little slow for froggin IMO. Not that it won't work, I just prefer a reel with a faster line retrieval rate. I'm using a Garcia Revo S with the 6.4:1 ratio and it's paired with a Garcia Vendetta 7'3" H/XF. It's spooled with 50# Performance braid.
OK, let's try again. To answer the original question, my answer is basically the same as Keith's for gear ratio and type of rod, but I happen to normally use 30lb braid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
What are you an english teacher? Geez.

Bell had just run when I was about half way though, had to hurry an type it so I wasn't late. Corrections have been made Mr.Dean.

40lb because if you've got a big bass on the line in thick cover, with nicked up line, you're much more likely to break off with lighter line... and no one likes loosing big bass. It's more of an insurance policy then anything. 50lb is better though IMO, it's also what Dean Rojas recommends. Was my explanation good enough for you Mr.Basspro?

I appreciate the corrections, but did you really have to do it here? Especially is you're gonna answer the OP, but merely critique my post.
Next...Sammy, I'm really sorry. I certainly wasn't trying to "critique" your post and I wasn't trying to offend you with my reply either. I will never claim to be anywhere close to either an English teacher or a bass pro. I was just trying to offer my opinion that the line you use is related to how thick the cover is that you're fishing or expect to fish. Again, this is just my opinion. The way your response was worded made it sound like a fact that you needed 40+ lb line, so I was just wondering what your thoughts were behind that. And I wasn't trying to call you out on the last 2 things, I was just trying to understand the last sentence better. I'm trying to learn right along with Scott and the others reading these posts, so I was hoping to get a better understanding of what you were saying there.

My sincere apology again, Sammy, and I hope you'll accept it. I also apologize to Scott and anyone else reading this thread as I didn't mean to "clog it up" as much as I have. Sorry guys.

Dean
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-11, 10:04 PM   #16
bassboogieman

Quote:
Unfortunately yes. Pflueger has cut several reels from it's line-up. The Patriarch XT was the one that I was really sorry to see go. Some Asaro reels can be found on Ebay, original list was $119.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PFLUEGER-Asa...item2316d2c562
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-11, 10:26 PM   #17
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
OK, let's try again. To answer the original question, my answer is basically the same as Keith's for gear ratio and type of rod, but I happen to normally use 30lb braid.

Next...Sammy, I'm really sorry. I certainly wasn't trying to "critique" your post and I wasn't trying to offend you with my reply either. I will never claim to be anywhere close to either an English teacher or a bass pro. I was just trying to offer my opinion that the line you use is related to how thick the cover is that you're fishing or expect to fish. Again, this is just my opinion. The way your response was worded made it sound like a fact that you needed 40+ lb line, so I was just wondering what your thoughts were behind that. And I wasn't trying to call you out on the last 2 things, I was just trying to understand the last sentence better. I'm trying to learn right along with Scott and the others reading these posts, so I was hoping to get a better understanding of what you were saying there.

My sincere apology again, Sammy, and I hope you'll accept it. I also apologize to Scott and anyone else reading this thread as I didn't mean to "clog it up" as much as I have. Sorry guys.

Dean
Appreciate it Dean! Takes a man to apologies like that. Sorry if my response seemed kinda hot headed too.

Anyone, enough of this saucy stuff, lol. back fishing!
Old 12-01-11, 10:37 PM   #18
bamabassman

ok, MY "frogging rod and reel" are one of these sometimes both. 7 foot duckett micro rod. heavy action witha pro max abu garcia reel. gear ratio is 6.4:1, the other is a fenwick 7 footer with a silver max abu garcia reel. same action on both rods and reels. i use braided line. either power pro 30# or hopefully this year i am gonna use the suffix 832. i never put mono on a frog rod where i fish. too many things to get snagged up on.
Old 12-02-11, 12:00 AM   #19
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
hopefully this year i am gonna use the suffix 832.
832 for a frog line John? Do you realize Suffix 832 sinks? Won't that impead a floating frogs action and cause more snagging?
Old 12-02-11, 12:49 AM   #20
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
832 for a frog line John? Do you realize Suffix 832 sinks? Won't that impead a floating frogs action and cause more snagging?

Keith, 832 does not sink much better than most of the braids on the market, if it has something to pull it under it will stay down, but if you have nothing to pull it under it floats like most other braid.

I use it on one of my setups because I like some of the other benefits it offers, it has not been a problem with fishing frogs on it for me.
Old 12-02-11, 07:43 AM   #21
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Keith, 832 does not sink much better than most of the braids on the market, if it has something to pull it under it will stay down, but if you have nothing to pull it under it floats like most other braid.

I use it on one of my setups because I like some of the other benefits it offers, it has not been a problem with fishing frogs on it for me.
Thanks for the correction. The only reason I didn't choose it last time I purchased braid for froggin was that I'd heard it would sink. Maybe I will give it a go next time.
Old 12-02-11, 08:56 AM   #22
F16 1UB

6:2 Revo, & 7' MH BPS Tourny Special rod, 40# Power Pro, 5/0 Gama hooks with screw in keeper.
F16 1UB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-11, 06:46 PM   #23
bamabassman

micheal, i learned all this HERE. and anthony turned me onto the 832. now they have come out with A BETTER one, lol. forgot the mane though. maybe taves can tell us.
and..........now i see where i need to go with a BIGGER weight on my frogging/lizzard line. LIKE MAYBE 50# OR 60# JUST READ THAT. HAHA. GOES TO SHOW US.......never too old to learn RIGHT?
Old 12-02-11, 10:35 PM   #24
Tavery5

might be 832 ghost

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.