Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-05, 11:40 PM   #1
goombass

Default Question about Carolina Rigs

Most of my worm fishing(Clear water lakes and ponds) I do with no weights or split shot. I wanted to use Carolina rigs on this one spot which has a lot of boulders and big rocks, in about 9 to 15 ft of water. 2 Questions #1 how long should the leader be using 6" floating worms and how do I keep from hanging up on the rocks I went through 7 rigs in 1 hour and I know because of lack of experince with this Im probablly doing something wrong
Old 06-14-05, 12:04 AM   #2
coolman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to coolman
Default Re: Question about Carolina Rigs

Ur leaders should be around a foot but make some that have various lengths!!! And try drop shoting the area with the boulders!!
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 12:20 AM   #3
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Try changing your sinker. I had the same trouble using the traditional egg sinker. I started using a Lindy No-Snagg sinker and problem solved. If you don't want to go that direction there are long, thin sinkers like these:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

their thin profile keeps them from snaging up.

I use a leader 12-18 inches long. You can always go longer if you are in real clear water.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 10:28 AM   #4
daveraynor
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to daveraynor

18 in. is as small as I'll ever go, I go up from there.
daveraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 05:46 PM   #5
goombass

I tried drop shooting not my thing. I did go out today and pick up some of those Lindy snagless weights They look a little akward to cast. Ill give em a shot on fri Thanks fellas
Old 06-14-05, 05:55 PM   #6
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

With floating worms you may consider a shorter leader than 18". The worm floats so you don't want it to float too high. A couple inches above the bottum is normally how I use mine. Try a leader appx. 8"-14" long. If that doesn't work then lengthen your leader. The amount is up to you.
With regular worms I use a leader at least 16" and up to 36". That depends on the mood of the fish , water clarity, pressure, etc..
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.