Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-05, 12:31 AM   #1
Serious_Angler
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Serious_Angler
Default Braid lines and rod action

Hi all,
New to the site. My question is about braided line and using a softer rod action. I love to slop fish with frogs and use braid line on a medium heavy rod. I was thinking about possible buying a frog rod to fish the slop and cosidering a medium action. Is this a wise choice. Thanks for any feedback.
Serious_Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-05, 12:41 AM   #2
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: Braid lines and rod action

Welcome to the site. I would definately NOT go to a medium rod if you are fishing frogs in the slop. You will have a lot harder time getting them out of the stuff with a Medium rod. Let alone your hooksets will go way down. Not saying it can't be done, but when fishing slop, the fish are gonna take it to a safe place asap, when they get there, you need stout equipment to handle it. If you are wanting to give a little more flex(can't figure out why with frogs) then put some heavy mono. But again, I would stick with what you have, especially if it's already working for you. I think many times we make changes for the worst, not the better, because we are experimenting with something different(I know I do more than I like). But as the old saying goes, if it ain't broke then don't fix it. You just stated you love it, so is there something that you are having problems with? Or is just to try something new? Use the medium rod for crankbaits, but definately not fishing frogs in the slop.

By the way, anybody but me notice all the Scott's we got on this site ;D That also happens to be my name

Scott
AKA Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-05, 12:47 AM   #3
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Welcome to the forum!

I'm with Lizards-in the slop you have to horse them out, and a rod with backbone is a neccessity. In the real thick stuff I use a flipping stick with 50 lb. PowerPro braid.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-05, 01:24 AM   #4
Serious_Angler
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Serious_Angler

Thanks for the advise. The reason I asked is I recently watched a video in which Gary Kline recommends using a lighter rod with the braided line. He was flipping into heavy cover (Wood) and recommended using the lighter rod such as a medium action to help absorb the shock due to the no strech in the braid line. As for fishing the slop the med heavy rod and braid (Power Pro) worked fine for me, but watching the video got me thinking if it would help slop fishing in any way. I think my problem is I need to get out on the water and stop reading and watching fishing show. Winter Sucks!!!
Serious_Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-05, 01:31 AM   #5
bruce
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bruce

<-----Another Scott here. Â* ;D

I use a MH 7' rod with 30-50lb braided line when slop fishing. Â*Need that extra to get them up on top and ski them in. Â*Definately would not go any lighter.

The bass I'm holding in my avatar pic at left were caught slop fishing a frog. Gotta love them explosive strikes.

Scott
bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-05, 02:00 AM   #6
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Hang in there, Scott-winter will end before too long ;D!

Hey, do us a favor: In your profile you can put in a signature-in the signature put where you are from-you never know, you might find a fishin' buddy just down the road.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-05, 09:30 AM   #7
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

I use a mh rod instead of heavy when flipping, and I use 40#PowerPro.

but I would stick with the heavy rod for the slop.
The reason for the lighter rod when flipping is the short amount of line. A shortline hookset creates a tremendous amount of energy on the rod and the line, and combined with the braid, it can snap a rod in a heartbeat. I still recommend braided lines for all situations, but this is the only time I would recommend stepping down in rod action.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.