Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-05, 09:56 PM   #1
mrbasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mrbasser
Default line-knots

I have had trouble the past few days with losing many fish due to line snapping. Im not sure if that is the case or if my knots are coming untied ive prob lost 20$ in lures due to this, what lb test line do you use and any specific knots because i just do whatever
mrbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-05, 10:06 PM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: line-knots

I use the Palomar knot-never had one fail.

Are you wetting the knot before cinch it down? If not, when you pull the knot tight it creates friction which means heat and will weaken the line. Wetting it helps eliminate this.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-05, 10:09 PM   #3
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

Your problem then is the knots - never do whatever.

There is a graphic that should show how to tie a proper knot for fishing, mainly I use either clinch knots (with mono) or palomar (with braid).
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-05, 10:24 PM   #4
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

MJR,

Â* Â* Go to http://www.marinews.com/fishing/fk_main.htm
and see if you can learn anything you can use!

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-05, 11:46 PM   #5
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

if you use braid, DO NOT use a cinch not! they will slip due to the coating on the braid. what type of knot do you usually use? i would recomend a polomar knot.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-05, 11:54 PM   #6
tbuck
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to tbuck

Most of us think alike with the palomar knot for sure being one of the easiest and strongest no slip knots tied today in the fishing arena. It's also a knot that most don't realize that you can actually tie it improperly and it will infact cut itself under pressure. I learned this at the Izorline booth last year at the Classic after watching line after line, and braid after braid and flurocarbons after fluro's snap after tying the knot improperly on purpose and what seemed to be a properly tied one of MY knots. Well, NOT...

The gal showed us slowly how to tie a Palomar by slowly demonstrating to pull both tag ends drawn down evenly and then let us do a visual on it and it looked much better than mine does.. She put it on their line pull machine and it was incredibly stronger. I guess the question is, how much pressure is needed to snap an improperly tied knot and how many fish will weaken it to cut itself?

Hope this helps!

I'll just keep using our glue for sure since I haven't the time to be that precise on the water.... and I'll know it's not going to break and hasn't in over 4 years.

Screemin' Reels!

Mike ;D
tbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-05, 03:33 PM   #7
Stick-em
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Stick-em

palomar
Stick-em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-05, 11:35 PM   #8
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Lost $30. in spinnerbaits over a three day period. Slight backlash on the baitcaster and snap- watched another strike king fly through the air. Same knot I always have used, never had a problem before. Almost wondering if I got a bad spool of power pro- New pole, new line. All my other setups are the same line and never had a single problem. >
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-05, 11:44 PM   #9
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

well, if it makes you feel any better, which i doubt it will, i have lost 2 spinnerbaits in a matter of 3 minutes. i was changing my lure to a spinnerbait, and i took one of my spinnerbaits out and set it on the dock, then i tied another spinnerbait on. i took my line cutters, cut the line, and set them down and knocked one of my spinnerbaits thru the gap in the dock accedently. at this time i was > >, then i got over it and casted out by some docks. i reeled it in, and again casted, but this time the wind picked up and brought my spinnerbait onto a dock. i ended up get it stuck and had to break the line. (i was fishing on another dock and had no way of getting the spinnerbait free.)
Old 04-28-05, 11:50 PM   #10
bassmistress
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmistress

Do you guys/girls recommend the palomar knot on flourocarbons or not?

-BassinFreak#1-
bassmistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-05, 11:54 PM   #11
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

i like palomer knots on every line. make sure to wet it.
Old 04-29-05, 09:39 AM   #12
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

FIREMAN,
Sounds like you may have a cracked guide. I was fishing with a friend who lost three cranks on three casts. We blamed bad line and changed to New Power Pro and it broke on the first test cast. Checked the guides and found the second ceramic guide from the reel was cracked and had an edge like a razor.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-05, 09:05 PM   #13
mrbasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mrbasser

THANK YOU THANK YOU

Well after visiting the site posted here by one of you I figured out how to tie the palamor knot and must say its amazing I caught the biggest bass of my life today and thank fully even after it dug down in the weeds and tried to get tangled up i still was able to pull this out i would just like to thank you all for the helpfull advice ill post some pics soon
mrbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-05, 09:32 PM   #14
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Thats a great point jackL

if your eyelet ceramic is broken.most places like walmart of kmart sell them cheap
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-05, 05:20 PM   #15
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Thanks for that. Was so PO that I didnt even think to look elsewhere for a problem. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-05, 06:07 PM   #16

I'd have to suggest the palomer as well, my suggestions is palomer regardless of line. It is a self contained knot so technically it is impossible for it to just come untied. I've never had one fail. Ever since switching to the palomer knot I've had nothing but line breaks. Even broken a few poles, but the knot didn't come untied. It is the workhorse of knots.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.