Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-07, 07:24 PM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default 3/18/07 Grant Park - Lake Michigan

I don't know if I should be posting this...

I went to Lake Michigan to try to catch some Steelhead because our lakes are still kind of frozen and no bass to be caught.

I caught one lousy sucker on a crankbait.

Swimming Away:

12" :

This was hard to believe myself and you may think this is a lie, but I had 7 Steelhead on my line, each fighting for about 10 seconds, and EVERY SINGLE ONE came off!!! Were my hooks not sharp enough??? I tried loosening the drag, tightening it, setting the hook softer and harder. I was using a 6'6" Med Hev rod though. I've caught at least 20 fish on crankbaits with that rod and never lost a fish on this rod though!!!I've even caught fish on a 7'0" Heavy with crankbaits.

What brand/size hooks would you recommend I buy to replace medium diving crankbaits?

Thanks all.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-07, 07:36 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

mustad or many other top notch trebs can be put on the crankbait, or you can take a hook file and sharpen them easily...one thing to remember
when setting the hook on a crankbait, you take the rod with a sweeping motion and let the hooks set themselves, and then don't crank in like mad, or it can pull the hooks out of the fish, esp. a steelhead..
When you are used to setting the hook hard with plastics, its hard sometimes to get the mindset to sweep the rod and play the fish out much longer than a single hook penetration like a worm/hook.
You can get a hook file for a buck, it has a groove in it, just run each hook till it will stick into your thumb when your move it over the thumbnail..if it slides, its not sharp enough.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-07, 08:34 PM   #3
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

nice fish, looks a bit like a carp?
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-07, 08:53 PM   #4
jooleyen

Lol Tex. I took a video of it because I thought it was a little steelhead while it was fighting me. In the video I said it was a small carp at first, but the I realized it was a sucker.

I very lightly sweep the rod to my right side and let the fish play until I feel I'm ready to start slowly cranking.

Will sharpening my hooks be the same thing as buying new quality ones? Will they wear down quickly?
Old 03-19-07, 08:54 PM   #5
mack
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbasser View Post
nice fish, looks a bit like a carp?
its easy to tell the difference. suckers have a mouth on the bottom of their head.
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-07, 08:57 PM   #6
brushhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
mustad or many other top notch trebs can be put on the crankbait, or you can take a hook file and sharpen them easily...one thing to remember
when setting the hook on a crankbait, you take the rod with a sweeping motion and let the hooks set themselves, and then don't crank in like mad, or it can pull the hooks out of the fish, esp. a steelhead..
When you are used to setting the hook hard with plastics, its hard sometimes to get the mindset to sweep the rod and play the fish out much longer than a single hook penetration like a worm/hook.
You can get a hook file for a buck, it has a groove in it, just run each hook till it will stick into your thumb when your move it over the thumbnail..if it slides, its not sharp enough.
Nice Explanation - thanks!
brushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-07, 09:37 PM   #7
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack View Post
its easy to tell the difference. suckers have a mouth on the bottom of their head.
yea, i knew it wasnt a carp but i just saw a lil resemblance.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 03:43 PM   #8
jooleyen

I might go again today. I found a knife sharpening stone. (don't wanna take pictures right now. Same thing but mine looks like a plain rock.)

I can't sharpen the inside of the hook, but it really doesn't seem to matter. I just take each hook and grind it about 25 times. The hook point gets barely curved, but that's how I know the hook is sharper.

What hook file would you recommend?

P.S. - Can I still post reports about other fish here, or is this a bass only website? Again, I would be fishing for bass, but it's illegal right now and I have to wait until May.
Old 03-20-07, 09:49 PM   #9
jooleyen

Thanks a bunch guys. I sharpened those hooks.

Today I lost a Steelhead because it jumped really high. I had the mechanics down, just bad luck I think.

Lost 3 other fish (probably perch or other small fish)

Landed one fat perch. (11.5")

Old 03-20-07, 10:02 PM   #10
crankybait

Please tell me that is Cajun Recast on the spool?
Good fishin dude!
Old 03-21-07, 04:48 PM   #11
jooleyen

Lol! Cranky.... This is honest... I was going to edit my post and write...

"Cranky, this IS Cajun Redcast."

It's #10 Redcast and I love it.
Old 03-21-07, 07:45 PM   #12
crankybait

Good man, Good man. Extreme respect in my book. 10 lb Cajun is the bomb
Old 03-21-07, 07:53 PM   #13
jooleyen

Yes it is. It's great for crankin'. (My favorite technique at the moment)

I really haven't fished enough with a variety of lines yet, but I can say I like Cajun RedCast.
I thought it would be crap at first, just because it says "Shakespeare" on it, but I guess that doesn't matter.
Old 03-22-07, 10:57 PM   #14
hackattack
BassFishin.Com Active Member

haha it is good, never broken one off on it
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-07, 12:42 AM   #15
InEccess
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess

Getting back to the lost fish... You said you're fishing a crankbait with a Medium/Heavy rod? While confidence is the number one thing with catching and landing fish, the rod action does help. If you had the funds just lying around, I'd suggest downgrading to a Medium or a shorter Medium/Light rod. The whippy tip helps absorb some of the thrashing the fish do, and helps keep the bass (I know you're fishing for other fish at the point, but you ARE on a bass forum and I'm only going to speak of what I know of) from throwing the lure.

Absorbtion is key when dealing with big fish and little hooks.
Old 03-24-07, 08:13 PM   #16
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hey jooleyen, I live a short distance from Michigan City Indiana and have caught a slew of steelhead. They can be tough to land as they are extremely athletic fish, often refered to as the fresh water Tarpon due to their leaping abilities. I use a 6 1/2 medium action casting rod. The extra play of the rod seems to help one play the steelhead. Stiffer rods seem to cause more lost fish. I figure with the way they jump and fight, a stiffer rod gives them more leverage to dislodge a bait. I see many old timers up there on the pier using 8 foot plus rods that are very flexable, and they almost never loose a steelhead. I believe these rods are often refered to as noodle rods. Used mostly with live bait applications. I will tell you this for sure. And I don't know why this is but...I loose more steelhead using a crankbait than I do a spoon. For some reason, when I use a spoon I rarely loose a steely. Crankbaits are a different story. I prefer a 3/4 oz spoon in solid brite orange on both sides!!!! I purchase KO Wobblers and spray paint them myself with flourescent orange on both sides. The steelhead lovem!!! Hope this helps.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 12:08 AM   #17
Super Fluke

nice fish.
Old 03-26-07, 08:16 AM   #18
jooleyen

The next day I landed some of the fish. I think most of them were suckers. They have really soft small wierd mouths that are easy to lose hooks on.

I landed some 22" suckers, and realized why they fought so hard.

The 6'6" Medium rod is what is next on my list.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.