Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-07, 10:02 PM   #1
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Lizards&others - best fish north and south???

Lizards - I read on here somewhere you used to be a northern guy... How did your best fish up north (Wherever you were) compare to FLA.. I'm sure I know the answer - but some number might be interesting - anybody else here make the move and have numbers to share?
brushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 10:23 PM   #2
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well lets just say your guess was correct LOL. My best fish up North(I lived in Indiana for 30+ years) was around 6.5 pounds. Now I haven't always been a bassaholic, been really sreious now for I'd say 4-5 years. That weight was strictly a guesstimate, since I didn't have a scale, and only measured the length. Many thought it was bigger, but I'm happy to say 6.5lbs minimum. I moved down to Florida about 1.5 years ago. Since I've been down here I have caught 6 fish over 10lbs, the biggest being 12.00lbs by the fish weight calculator used on this site.)pics available from the first and second quarter big bass tourney form 2006 on this site) I probably could have caught several more, but I'm fishing more big waters and rivers trying to learn how to consistently catch 15lbs for any tourney, and I'm a very long way aways from that currently. I fish huge bodies of water, and am learning on my own, with my boater buddy, who just moved down here a little over 2 years ago. Fishing in the smaller ponds/lakes down here will always give you a chance at a double digit bass, but honestly I believe it was easier up north to consistanly catch fish. So for numbers I have to say North, for size I have to say South.

Lizards
Old 03-29-07, 09:23 AM   #3
thebus71h
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to thebus71h

I would say definately depends on what lake you fish. I fish Brookville Lake, and I've had many very good fisherman that if you can go out and catch fish on that lake, then you can fish darn near anywhere. Size isn't there at Brookville, but if you know what bait to use, then you can pick up quite a few fish!

Now when we went to Florida, I cought a 4 1/2 pounder (guessing, I've got pictures to develop), and that was it. Never caught a fish that big up here in two years, but go down there, and catch one that big.
Billy Rowlee #71h
thebus71h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 09:46 AM   #4
Snake2715

My biggest was 4.5 lbs in Michigan last year at about 22 inches (if memory serves me right, I have it written down at home).

Nothing to report from the south.
Old 03-29-07, 10:01 AM   #5
InEccess

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess

I live around Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, you know, the site of the 2005 Bassmaster Classic. In an area where the average bass ways less then a pound, my biggest bass is a five and a half-er. I've seen pictures of an eleven pounder pulled from the same lake and BassinBob has caught 1 over ten up here. I've definately got to say I'm glad I grew up fishing here. When half the Pro's who come to my home river(s) can't figure out the fish and walk away with 0 fish, it gives me confidence that I can go anywhere in the country and catch fish. Pittsburgh definately is like a whetstone. It sharpens your abilities, teaches you patients (as well as how to use spinning tackle), and seperates the anglers from the fishermen.
Old 03-29-07, 01:30 PM   #6
Jolly

I can't speak for northern waters being that I've never fished them; however, one would only assume that it would be entirely determinant on the lake. I can go to my pond or to the lake and have a good chance of catching a double digit fish. I could also go to another local lake and have a good chance of catching a sunburn, mesquito bite and nothing else. Lakes are within 60 miles of each other and totally different. With that said, commen sense would tell me that bigger fish are south and smaller fish north generally.

Jolly
Old 03-29-07, 05:25 PM   #7
PaLonestar
BassFishin.Com Member

The lakes that I fish at up here (In Pennsylvania) are not great bass lakes. They are small lakes that I fish at. I also fish 90% of the time from the shore. Even though they are not great bass lakes, I still have caught some of the biggest bass for me up here in Pennsylvania. They are not monsters but they are ok. My biggest one was almost 3 1/2lbs. Now, when I lived in Texas and New Mexico, I would catch more fish (a lot more) then up here in Pennsylvania. I never went home with no fish in Texas. I do go home sometimes with nothing up here in Pennsylvania. My personal best in Texas was just over 2lbs That is the difference for me. I have to agree overall though with the people that say it depends on the lake.
PaLonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 05:54 PM   #8
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i lived in western ny for 20 years.
northern waters generally don't give up big fish.. i have caught several largemouth bass in the 7 pound range. the biggest i remember was 7.2 pounds..i have caught smallies in the 6+ range.

down here i have caught one lil smallie down here i tend to catch bigger largemouth bass..

it is not imo a big differance between the fish size or the amount. the truely large differance is #1 the water clarity #2 the techquies used to catch the bass..

#1 northern water tend to be gin clear with at least 10 foot visablity..if you get 5 feet of visability here it is very clear..

#2 trust me dead sticking a weightless senko down 25 + feet on thin line riged on a spinning reel.is god awfully BORING!!!
carolina style fishing is more a power fishing. constant chunk and wind.all while moving, moving, and moving some more..

zooker
Old 03-29-07, 11:57 PM   #9
bobsmitter03
BassFishin.Com Member

Bass are definitely smaller up here and more often you catch quanity instead of quality but, if you know how and where to catch the big ones you can have a lot of fun. My biggest i caught was last year in June. It was 8 pounds even. I caught it on a purple worm with a red tail. My second biggest also came last year during the spawn in April. That one was 7 1/2 that I caught on a brush hog in three feet of water.
bobsmitter03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 08:16 AM   #10
DEbass'n

I have not fished southern waters, but the water doesn't get as cold down there so the bass don't slack off their eating habits like up north so they tend to grow more big bass down south. Bass can get big up here. My pb is around 8 lbs.
Old 04-05-07, 12:39 AM   #11
WIUbassin

I think the lake you fish had a big deal to do with it up north as well. Last year I caught my personal best of 6lbs 10 ounce outta a 3acre pond.
Old 04-05-07, 05:15 AM   #12
Recon8541

I grew up in Northern Indiana. Fished alot of lakes there, as my dad is a fishing nutcase like I am. The apple dosent fall far from the tree I suppose.

Have lived in Florida now for about 5 years (spent 3 of those years overseas), and the fishing here is great. I would say the bass tend to run much larger here, due to the longer growning season, and in the experienes I have had the numbers are just as good as the north lakes.

Techniques are different, as the waters are different.

My pb up north is a toss up between 5 fish all in the 8-8.5 range. Down here I have caught several over 10, with a nice 14/7 being the best.
Old 04-05-07, 08:53 AM   #13
brushhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIUbassin View Post
I think the lake you fish had a big deal to do with it up north as well. Last year I caught my personal best of 6lbs 10 ounce outta a 3acre pond.

I think overall that is probably the case - I think we have our lunkers up here if you can find 'em. but they are surely more prevalent in the south due to the growing season. Still interesting to hear everybodies views. The points about differences in water and techniques were interesting thanks guys!
brushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 02:20 PM   #14
bassnman30

Man, it seems like alot of ya'll on this page have really caught some big bass.
I wish I could catch bass of this size.
I would be the talk of the town.

Last edited by bassnman30; 04-09-07 at 02:32 PM.
bassnman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 05:08 PM   #15
kvn765
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to kvn765 Send a message via MSN to kvn765

i have been fishing in southeast texas for all my life... I have had multiple fish on rayburn at 4ilbs or better but so far my biggest is right over 6 pounds. I hve also been paying to much attention to quanity over quality so now my thinking has changed and i ma going for that hawg!
kvn765 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.