Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-05, 12:03 PM   #1
Scott
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Scott
Default Buzzbait Colors

What color of skirt should I use for somewhat murky water?? Do colored buzzbait blades work or do the silver/nickel work better?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 12:57 PM   #2
n2b
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to n2b
Default Re: Buzzbait Colors

I think in murky water a chart. blade with a chart. skirt would be best but im not sure.
n2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 01:22 PM   #3
Eddie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Eddie

i agree with mr big on that one.add a clacker also.basically black,white white/chartruese and all chartruese are all you need.i use clackers most of the time.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 01:41 PM   #4
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to madmarty

I only use three color buzzbaits; black, white, and chartreuse. Black at night. Chartreuse in muddy water or on cloudy days. White in clear water or on sunny days. Personally I don't like the painted blades because they're not as loud.
madmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 02:52 PM   #5
keeb
BassFishin.Com Member

i like them black
Old 06-09-05, 03:02 PM   #6
FLFishFan
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FLFishFan

Use a big gold Colarado blade and the colors they said.
FLFishFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 03:07 PM   #7
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=fishininMich. link=board=news;num=1118329438;start=0#5 date=06/09/05 at 14:02:51]Use a big gold Colarado blade and the colors they said.
[/quote]

Not a spinnerbait a buzzbait.
Old 06-09-05, 03:09 PM   #8
FLFishFan
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FLFishFan

Duh! Sorry i just read an article about Sinnerbaits, and i got them on the brain, Its been a long day and its hot,
FLFishFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 08:30 PM   #9
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Quote:
I only use three color buzzbaits; black, white, and chartreuse. Black at night. Chartreuse in muddy water or on cloudy days. White in clear water or on sunny days.
Same here. I will also throw a gold or copper blade on a cloudy day. Same philosophy I use for a spinnerbait.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 09:06 PM   #10
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy
Default Re: Buzz bait Colors

White
Â* White
Â* Â* Â*White
Â*
heres a tip for ya
Â* next time your working' the buzz bait, hitting stick ups, going around structure etc,
Â* Â*on your normal retrieve, occasionally rip the buzz bait across the surface, as you reel pull your rod back about 2 feet, making a sweeping motion, then go back to your normal reeling retrieve.
I always do this, maybe once a cast or twice
it makes more commotion, and bubbles and I am hoping imitating something the bass hates or wants to smack down
Go to your local BASS PRO shop and this years rage is the foot long buzz bait, the theory behind this they are smacking the bait to kill, not particularly to eat
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 10:01 PM   #11
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass

it doesn't matter as long as the blade is painted to match. Well it matters a little, but I think a matching painted blade is more important than individual color selection. Any colored skirt with silver blade just looks to too unnatural. I tend to have better catch rates w/painted blades. As far as color selection, if visibility is low from either clouds or stained/muddy water, chartruse, clear day and/or clear water white, early morning and late evening both get black if the sky is dark and night time always gets black.
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 10:41 PM   #12
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

I have seen the clear chartruse triple blade work for people
I have used the gold colored blades on the small buzzbaits with some success
If ya are just using the regular sized buzzbait go try several dif sizes, they even make tiny ones
Old 06-10-05, 12:41 AM   #13
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

my first buzzbait was that smallone...thought that was the biggest they made :-X then i got a regular sized one ;D
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 03:40 AM   #14
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass

pssst, hey dork, it ain't regular, its weight, and what you call regular is prolly 3/8. I wish they made a 1 oz with a buzzer the size of a tennis ball for the REALLY BIG bass.
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 02:51 PM   #15
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

hey dork, alot of buzzbaits i get dont come in the packages....they are like walmart spinnerbaits....and therefor have no weight on them....so i have no idea the weight...i do know that they would be considered ''regular'' size. there are extra long....regular....and short. but i get the ''regular'' sized ones now. and i have seen big buzzbaits...blades just about as big as a tennis ball....they were custom made for some guy that i used to know. dont know him now...and dont know who made them....so i cant help ya out....but i would ask rob or chip about it...see if they can make one, or knows somebody who can
Old 06-10-05, 03:15 PM   #16
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Rodman_Rob link=board=news;num=1118329438;start=0#13 date=06/10/05 at 02:40:55]Â*I wish they made a 1 oz with a buzzer the size of a tennis ball for the REALLY BIG bass.[/quote]

I can only imagine how fast you would have to reel a
1 oz buzzbait to keep it on top of the water. I prefer reeling my buzzbaits as slow as possible. I also do as JB explained about ripping it across the surface. I really like a buzzbait that squeaks.
Old 06-10-05, 03:33 PM   #17
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

ya, but you can get the blades at more of a curve so it would give you some help keeping it up.
Old 06-10-05, 03:43 PM   #18
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

I really don't like bending the blades on my buzzbaits because it takes away some of the noise it makes on top of the water.
Old 06-10-05, 03:49 PM   #19
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

with the bigger ones you can get them made with extra curve.....and not too badly effect the noise factor. another idea that just popped in my head.....to keep it a bit lighter and make it stay ontop easier maybe if you have the head hollowed out and just put rattles in them...that might make it alittle easier to stay untop and more noisy
Old 06-10-05, 05:40 PM   #20
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Re: Buzz bait Colors

You can piece together almost all the parts of a spinner bait and buzz bait, there are lots of style and color blades out there, Ya just have to look in bass magazines , and you can come up with any variation ya want, my buddy and I got the lead pouring molds and wires, blades and skirts, bad thing about all that was
we bought tons of wires and then the industry came out with these thin thin wires that we could never find for sale lol
the hook is layed in the mold next to the size lead head ya want, ya melt lead in a melting pot, pour it , sand down the excess ears that the lead leaves, then heres the tricky part, you have to figure out where and how to bend the wire, we used to bend it over twice and then make the correct angle for the blades,
Ya have to figure spacers, beads, types of blades and
split rings for the outside blade
We started out with about 130 bucks worth of parts, but after one summer we have about 300 spinner baits each made up.. all kinds of sizes , even some blades about the size of a mussel shell

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.