Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-05, 04:33 PM   #1
plug
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to plug
Default Growth of bass

Ok, i know there are many factors that can determine this but on average how much do you guys think a bass grows in one year in an average pond?(lbs.&inches) :-/
plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 04:39 PM   #2
n2b
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to n2b
Default Re: ?

a pound a year depending on where you live.
n2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 04:44 PM   #3
fastcat
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fastcat
Default Re: ?

2 to 3.5 inches here in Alabama.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 05:16 PM   #4
plug
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Re: Growth of bass

Northern Oklahoma.....This pond just stumps me ???It's been there for about 8 or 9 years and i remember a couple years after my grandad built it me and my stepdad caught a few 2 or 3 pounders, now all i can catch are 1-2 pounders (it seems that almost all the fish are hte same size) i know there has got to be 5 or 6 pounders in there. Do they stay down in deeper water most of the time or what?(when me and my stepdad caught the 2-3 pounders back in the day we used stinkbait hoping to catch catfish lol)
Old 06-11-05, 05:20 PM   #5
fastcat
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fastcat

If the pond is over five years old there should be some fish around 6 or 7 pounds in there. But if the pond is 8 or 9 years old there should be some 10lbers in it. I catch most of my big bass on crankbaits, flukes, and tiki sticks. If you fish the pond enough youll eventually catch a biggen. Just try different things and figure out what the bigger fish like.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 05:33 PM   #6
bronzebackguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bronzebackguy

Park, it sounds like you have a problem with too many small fish, you need to keep some of the smaller ones so the others can grow, lets say you have a pond that can hold 1000 lbs of fish, what would you rather have, 1000 1lbers or 100 10lbs, you just need to take out some of the smaller ones
bronzebackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 05:41 PM   #7
plug
BassFishin.Com Member

I've been told that before. There's to many to eat and I don't like fish anyway. Guess I could dump em in my local lake. How many would you suggest should be taken out?
Old 06-11-05, 05:53 PM   #8
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

yes....you have an over population problem. also is there alot of other bigger fish other then bass in there that might compete with bass for food? what i would do is the small 1-2lb'ers, catch them...and either put them in the local lake...if legal)check with yourr local DNR and see the rules and regulations for transplanting fish) also you might call them up and talk to them and ask the best way to go about getting the smaller ones out....also....is this your pond? what i mean is it on your property? if it is on city, state, or other private property permission will be required for taking them out. but if it is your pond...i would catch the small ones....and if legal put them in another lake....or see if there are any people around that eat bass. at first only take a small amount out...then if you start to see ppossitive changes in the pond...take a few more out...if you see a negative change with the pond do not take any more out of there..... another thing to do is buy a bag of fish formula....(type of fish food for ponds) and throw it out there...this will help with the food issue.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 06:01 PM   #9
plug
BassFishin.Com Member

Yes, this is on my grandfathers property. There is actually another pond right beside it that's been there longer but has a million small 6-10 inch bass in it. Instead of taking them to the lake i could just put them in this pond. There are catfish in both ponds. (we used to catch them on worms and minnows but the bass have over populated them bigtime i guess and no one has caught a catfish in either pond in a long time.)
Old 06-11-05, 06:06 PM   #10
plug
BassFishin.Com Member

How much is a small amount? 10-20?
Old 06-11-05, 06:14 PM   #11
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

how many do you usually catch a day? if it is 10-20...then ya...but if its 5-10...then only take out about 7...and if the fishin is still good...with small bass...take 5 more out,...and when you start to see the bass getting bigger...stop taking them out..
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 06:18 PM   #12
plug
BassFishin.Com Member

today i fished for about 45 minutes and caught about 5, so i'll probly take 7-10 out and put them in the other pond and see what happens
Old 06-11-05, 07:21 PM   #13
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

It depends on growing season , area of country, and most important how much forage is available
I 've seen it up here, the growing season is march through nov, after that the water is 34 and later frozen over
My guess is that a bass can grow about 2-3 inches the first year, by a year and a half near the 10-12 mark, a couple year old fish may be one lb and some ounces
the further south you go with 12 months of warm water, the rate would be more weight per time
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 11:06 PM   #14
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

A 5 lb bass up here is about 15 years old. The biggest ones get to about 10 lb.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.