Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-07, 09:34 AM   #1
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Bass Clubs

OK, so for 2007 I have made it my goal to fish with more people, as I feel that would be helpful to my bass fishign knowledge, and also it would be fun to not be fishing alone for once. So, I got the info for The NJ federation youth director, but he hasn't responded since like a month. But anywhere in central NJ would be good. Thing is, I don't have a boat and im 14. Does anybody know of a club that accepts young members without boats? I've searched for a while came up with nothing around me. I can't go too often, maybe once a month... Mom is willing to drive around 30 minutes. Anywhere in Monmouth County would be good. if anyone knows of a site, or a club that I could get into, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Old 02-04-07, 09:44 AM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

thats def. the right path to really learn quickly, I am unsure of how many clubs will accept the liability of a minor, unless the parent sign a wavier.
However, a one day trip to the lake and back isn't out of the question...maybe even just a one shot deal of a local bass club giving youth a chance to fish..
Most tournaments per person are anywhere from 35 bucks on up, plus be prepared to give the boater about 15 bucks for gas...
Ya may try local bait or boat shops to see if there's ever even been a youth tourney..if all that fails, Ya need to brainwash dad into giving up some work time and go bass fishing with ya.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-07, 09:56 AM   #3
mack
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

you should fish a few open tournaments instead of joining a club. joining clubs costs money annually. open t's are like 60 bucks entrance fee. topwater bassers have alot of open t's and i plan on fishing one or two. here is the 2007 schedule...

http://www.topwaterbassers.com/table2.html
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-07, 10:47 AM   #4
crankybait

Yeah, I should be checking out the tackle shops. I don't think there are many around here, but I'm sure there is one or two. 35 bucks isn't too bad, I'd be willling to do that, and of course chip in for gas. I guess if i show I am seriously into it, the parents will help too.
Yeah, my dad is a ridiculously busy person. Its getting into moms head too... He always be at work, traveling, or when home, on the phone. I've been trying to get him into fishing, but he wont... Especially since he needs a liscence.
Mack-60 bucks per tourney? A tad high, no? How are the payoffs? is it like 1st 2nd n 3rd, or just 1st? 60 is like the entrance into a club,isnt it?
Old 02-04-07, 10:50 AM   #5
mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait View Post
Yeah, I should be checking out the tackle shops. I don't think there are many around here, but I'm sure there is one or two. 35 bucks isn't too bad, I'd be willling to do that, and of course chip in for gas. I guess if i show I am seriously into it, the parents will help too.
Yeah, my dad is a ridiculously busy person. Its getting into moms head too... He always be at work, traveling, or when home, on the phone. I've been trying to get him into fishing, but he wont... Especially since he needs a liscence.
Mack-60 bucks per tourney? A tad high, no? How are the payoffs? is it like 1st 2nd n 3rd, or just 1st? 60 is like the entrance into a club,isnt it?
most tourneys ive seen are around 60 bucks to enter...

http://www.topwaterbassers.com/gpage.html
Old 02-04-07, 11:40 AM   #6
InEccess
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess

HOWEVER, clubs are alittle more friendly and member driven. In an open tournament, everyone's cutthroat. They'll keep thier spot a secret, they'll keep thier technique a secret, they'll even go as far as to make up stories to keep other anglers guessing. People go to tournaments to win, not help other people win.

Clubs will improve every anglers fishing abilities. I'm 26 and I still don't have a boat, but the club anglers will let me drive the boat and show me how to work the trolling motor to parallel a bank. The more stuff they show you, the more likely you are to give them your money again next year. Meanwhile, you're fishing with a different angler each week, learning new things and improving as a versitile bass angler. I'd gladly shell out $300 bucks anually for 12 lessons on 12 different lakes with 12 different instructures. Wouldn't you?
Old 02-04-07, 01:28 PM   #7
dampeoples

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

I agree, find a teen friendly club, and start there, you'll learn more than you can imagine.

Be up-front when you join that you may need help getting to events, that you're not used to boats and all that, nobody likes suprises! At the same time, if you need help - make damn sure you do your part, some clubs host raffles, kid fishing events, hold meetings, etc - attend every single one of them, and offer to help while there if anything is needed. Nothing like a 'needy' club member who doesn't want to help when you need them!
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-07, 02:35 PM   #8
bassnman30

OK, heres are rules, no members under 16 that don't have a concenting member involved with the club. Granted, we are a "federated" club. We have by-laws and and specificate rules. These rules are in specifications with B.A.S.S. or FLW.

Now, there are some clubs that aren't in the same format. They are just a group of buddys that like to fish and have casual tournaments .
Just the basic rules I.e take off times, weigh in times etc..
This might be a good place to start. Alot of these type clubs have no age limits.
Once you decide, you may go to a federated club. Not as many "good" pals but greater competition and it is alot of fun. Basically in Federated clubs anglers fish more for points, status, etc...
Old 02-04-07, 03:08 PM   #9
crankybait

Hmm, alright. Yeah, I want to try to find a more casual, fun-oriented palce. Something like waht dp mentioned would be fantastic. Still seraching... found a teen club, but its too far to drive...
Old 02-04-07, 03:10 PM   #10
mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait View Post
Hmm, alright. Yeah, I want to try to find a more casual, fun-oriented palce. Something like waht dp mentioned would be fantastic. Still seraching... found a teen club, but its too far to drive...
what town is it in?
Old 02-04-07, 03:33 PM   #11
crankybait

Cape May... Im in Marlboro, Monmouth County.
Old 02-04-07, 04:12 PM   #12
bfd300
BassFishin.Com Active Member

crankybait,
check out new jersey bass anglers

great info there
http://njbassanglers.com/index.php

otto
bfd300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-07, 05:59 PM   #13
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

ummmmmm.start your own club through the federation.be persistent .maybe you are trying to contact the wrong person?
http://www.njbassfed.org/youth_secti...es/Page350.htm
Old 02-04-07, 06:35 PM   #14
PowerBass

Cranky, none of my clubs are accpeting now. But I am in 5 Alive and Riverside Bass. Check out the SJBCA, or south jersey bass club association.
Old 02-13-07, 01:22 PM   #15
Scooby555
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey Cranky,

I’d thought I would chime in here since I started tournament fishing when I was 15.

I just found this forum and I don’t know you so if I sound overly simplistic don’t take it personally. I am just giving you some advice from my perspective living through it myself and maybe some of it can benefit you. Most of the organizations I fished with back in the day no longer exist unfortunately but there are many more out there today.

I wish I would have stuck with competitive fishing. I gave it up for awhile in favor of SCCA racing and quickly found out that low budget racing is high budget for a guy like me LOL…

Anyway my experience as a 15 year old non-boater…

I always felt when I met my boater for the first time he was moaning to himself, “Great, I get stuck fishing with a kid this is going to suck” but by the end of the day I always felt I earned some respect as well as some friends in the process. It felt good to see guys I fished with come up to me in other tournaments and ask how I was doing etc.

I will list some of things I feel that are important to remember when entering a tournament at your age and hopefully you can enjoy it as much as I have.

The biggest issue with fishing an open draw tournament at your age is one you cannot (legally) drive a vehicle, so you cannot help launch the boat, park the trailer etc, and not too many guys feel comfortable dumping their $40,000+ bass boat in the water with some 14-15yr old they never met at the controls. Most of the time the boater has a buddy with him and as long as you make the appropriate arrangements this is usually not a problem. I suggest you get your NJ boating certificate if you don’t already have it, and get yourself familiar with operating trolling motors.

Once you do get your drivers license you need to learn how to properly back up a trailer. It will be your job as non-boater to back the boat down the ramp and park the truck & trailer after so you need to know how. By then you’ll probably own a boat anyway

If you can, not always easy, try to get an idea of what tackle to bring the day before so you don’t have to bring a lot of stuff with you. No matter what Always bring your rain gear!

Learn how to cast accurately. I used to fish in a local pond everyday after school and could cast more accurately than 9 out of 10 guys I fished with. This I think helps you gain a little respect. Nothing will tick a guy off faster than if you sidearm a spinnerbait into his outboard cowl or get hung in a tree ever ten minutes. Also try to fish your water and give the boater his. You do not want to cast overtop of his line etc...

In some situations you may be invited upfront to fish a piece of structure you should be extra careful about not stepping on any rods on the deck.

Respect the guys (or gals) boat, I know this is commonsense but you would be surprised how many people don’t.
Keep your scent spray/drops/glue in the water not on the carpet
Keep your tackle and rods tidy at all times, you need an open deck if hook a big fish.
Watch when you lay your rods along the seat to run the big motor the hooks are not going to catch the seat
Try not to step on the bench seat to get on the back deck
Try not to leave junk on the floor. I always keep a small trash bag in my tackle bag to put my used soft plastics, line, lunch scraps and any other junk.
Always offer to share expenses with your boater most NJ lakes have a ramp fee, plus fuel etc..
Get you tackle & stuff out of his boat as quickly as you can after the boat is pulled out.

I think you get the idea…

I have some fond memories of tournaments that I will never forget. It seems when I was younger (I am now 31) my draw partners were quite open about what they were doing and actually taught me quite a bit about bass fishing.

As soon as the weather breaks a little I will heading to the Delaware, you are invited to come along if you would like provided your mom is okay with it. I have a 2007 Triton 20X2 w/ a Merc 225 ProXS that needs to be broke-in
Scooby555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-07, 01:33 PM   #16
Vabass22

Cranky, try to go to one of the youth federations meetings, and see if maybe you could start your own youth club, with the help of the local club. Thats whats going to happen in my area. I would reccomend trying to go to a baiot shop, and become reall good friends with someone who works there. If they seem knowledgeable, reliabale, and have a boat, myabe you could get them to help you start your own club
Old 02-13-07, 06:44 PM   #17
crankybait

Hmm, thanks a lot. That was quite informative. I will have to look into this. Gotta keep trying to contact the director, though. Thanks a buncch, really.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.