Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-07, 06:58 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Wacky Rig.

I want to try wacky riggin worms for the first time and I wondered what kinds of worms to use, I've heard lots about Senkos, TikiStiks, and others.

I just need some advice on what to get and how to fish them once wacky rigged.

Thanks a lot everyone.
Old 08-03-07, 08:03 PM   #2
basschamp4
BassFishin.Com Active Member

the zoom trick worms can work pretty well wacky rigged
Old 08-03-07, 08:14 PM   #3
lizardsrule

Wacky rigs really were started with the stick bait type worm, ie senko's and the knockoffs. However you can wacky rig anything, but I would start with a senko type bait first, brand is optional. Each brand has different characteristics, and will work better at times than others.

Lizards
Old 08-03-07, 10:22 PM   #4
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

I like wacky-rigged Senkos (or the like; Tiki Sticks,YUM Dingers,etc.). After wacky-rigging them, I like to cast them by docks, shallow weedbeds,(along the edges, if you cast in it you will snag up), under over-hanging willow trees, or just casting them anywhere in the shallows(0-6 ft).

Hope this helps in your search for Mr.Bass...

-LL-
Old 08-03-07, 10:23 PM   #5
BigBassin144

I was Looking at Tiki Sticks and Senkos at the BPS website and I don't really wanna pay 12 bucks for a pack of senkos so I thinkj I'm gonna go with the Tiki Sticks.
Old 08-03-07, 10:46 PM   #6
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Very good choice, you wont be dissapointed.

PS: I'm assuming that 12$ includes shipping because there is no way they are 12$ a pack alone, unless I just havent paid attention to the price lately, which is very possible, and yet another reason I stick to my trusty Tiki's.
Old 08-03-07, 11:31 PM   #7
rrw4258

a wacky rigged tiki stik is a very good bait for a beginner to learn on... it also works great texas rigged weightless... i will stick with a tiki stik for $2.92 a bag at wally world...

Ryan
Old 08-04-07, 12:46 AM   #8
InEccess

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess

My wacky-rig lure of choice is the Zoom Salty Centipede. I fish it like it's a bug that just fell out of a tree. I make sure to cast under any overhanging banches.
Old 08-04-07, 01:18 AM   #9
FlyRod

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker-lander View Post
... shallow weedbeds,(along the edges, if you cast in it you will snag up), ...

Hope this helps in your search for Mr.Bass...

-LL-
I've found the Wacky Rig to be "doable" in weeds and some brush, wood, etc., by using the Gamakatsu Weedless Finesse hook for the purpose. For the 5" Senkos, Tikis, YUM Dingers, and 4" Senkos (thicker body than other brands' 4"-ers) and the like I use the 2/0. For 4" Tikis, YUMs, etc, I use the 1/0.
You'll need to adjust and occasionally straighten the tungsten(?) weedguard and assure that it is properly engaged, especially after fighting a bass, but you will be able to fish water heretofore unavailable to you.
Tip: As to SLOWLY drag the rig through obstructions DO NOT make sudden jerks unless you are pretty certain you are setting into a fish. Otherwise you may disengage the guard and set into wood.

This is NOT a theoretical approach. I use it often and it works well.

FR
FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-07, 10:32 AM   #10
BigBassin144

What Kinds of hooks and what sizes should I be using?? I've heard about using circle and Octupus hooks... Any suggestions.
Old 08-04-07, 10:24 PM   #11
InEccess

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess

I use a 1/0 straight shank worm hook. But I also have a small worm... tied on.
Old 08-04-07, 11:52 PM   #12
hackattack

say wacky rig I think 3" senkos and smallmouth...thats the only way i use it I know someone who caught a 6 pound smallie a year or two ago on this rig
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 12:18 AM   #13
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by InEccess View Post
My wacky-rig lure of choice is the Zoom Salty Centipede. I fish it like it's a bug that just fell out of a tree. I make sure to cast under any overhanging banches.

IE, that is a great idea. Thanks for the tip!

BB, I, like Flyrod, use a Gamakatsu EWG Finesse hook, both weedless and non weedless, but a 1/0 worm hook will work fine. So will a circle hook, but if you go that route you don't set the hook with a circle hook-just start reeling. That's the way it is designed.
Old 08-05-07, 02:54 AM   #14
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
What Kinds of hooks and what sizes should I be using?? I've heard about using circle and Octupus hooks... Any suggestions.
Did you totally ignore the preceding post (The one by that nice FlyRod fellow.)
Slow down and read it thoroughly. You'll be dazzled by the plethora of information.

FR
Old 08-05-07, 04:08 PM   #15
bassfisher02

Cheeseman, the problem at hand is that you are typing too much for the fella. Remember short, straight to the point sentences.
Old 08-06-07, 01:21 AM   #16
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher02 View Post
Cheeseman, the problem at hand is that you are typing too much for the fella. Remember short, straight to the point sentences.
Limburger,

You mean like: "Bite my Super Spook!"?

BeeEffOughtTwo, we've just GOTTA improve the reading and comprehension skills our among our freshmen. Only by exposing them to words of more than two syllables and sentences longer than the example above can we hope to achieve that. Surely you agree that there can be only a positive result should we persevere and be successful in such an endeavo(u)r.
Please note; The "u" in "endeavo(u)r" is provided for the use of our Canadian compatriots. Readers not in any way affiliated with the British Empire or her former colonial holdings must not read or even notice said vowel. Thank you, and God Save The Queen.

FR
Old 08-06-07, 02:34 AM   #17
bassfisher02

I've always spelt it with a 'u,' and I always thought there was something Canadian about it, eh? I do agree with the points presented, by making example of proper sentence structure, larger words, and descriptive adjectives and pronouns we can not only improve a fellow anglers vocabulary, but as well his/her intelligence as a whole. This intelligence can not only be used for everyday book smart applications, but as well in the fishing world, to better said individual and make him/her a well-rounded 'anglist' [see: Cheeseman's Modern Day Dictionary]

PS: which Queen is God saving these days?
Old 08-06-07, 07:03 AM   #18
FlyRod

Quote:
I've always spelt it with a 'u,' and I always thought there was something Canadian about it, eh? I do agree with the points presented, by making example of proper sentence structure, larger words, and descriptive adjectives and pronouns we can not only improve a fellow anglers vocabulary, but as well his/her intelligence as a whole. This intelligence can not only be used for everyday book smart applications, but as well in the fishing world, to better said individual and make him/her a well-rounded 'anglist' [see: Cheeseman's Modern Day Dictionary]

PS: which Queen is God saving these days?
Latifa.
Elizabeth is tough enough to take care of herself.

Plus, she has friends...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQPIjRijuR0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxYJw6A1i_E

They even come from former colonies to pitch in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daEseqdDMZg

FR

Last edited by FlyRod; 08-06-07 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-06-07, 04:25 PM   #19
nutwagonfromhell
BassFishin.Com Member

Are you guys talking about flukes and slug-go type lures? Those are crazy Late evening.
nutwagonfromhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 06:53 PM   #20
Fendercaster
BassFishin.Com Member

I think Queen Elizabeth is more of a fluke than a slug-go.
Fendercaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 07:35 PM   #21
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fendercaster View Post
I think Queen Elizabeth is more of a fluke than a slug-go.
That does it! What with the Grenadiers and The Household Cavalry being too far away to exact retribution for that remark, I'll handle it!

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/JOHN/Desktop/new_m60_2_33ar.jpg

Heading your way in 10...9...8...7...

Actually, that IS me, as a dashing tank company commander, circa 1969. I'm in the TC's spot, o'course, in the tank commander's cupola, manning da "fiddycal".
One of my fellow captains from the happy days took the pic. He found it a few years ago, remembered the occasion, and sent to me...sniff.

FR
Old 08-06-07, 08:49 PM   #22
JB

flyrod,
seeing how you've uploaded a document from your pc that no one can see, let me take the liberty of blowing up your photo and enhance the pic the captain took (he was out to get you btw),
showing off some of your "squirrelier gunnies" under your command

JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 09:29 PM   #23
FlyRod

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
flyrod,
seeing how you've uploaded a document from your pc that no one can see,
Sorry 'bout dat. The pic is set as a desktop item and I will have to find the Email it came in.
BTW, wrong tank...Mine was an M60A1.
And, I had "date of rank" on the "photographer" by about one month.

Here's one of dem beautiful thangs!

http://www.1-33rdar.org/philmatte/pages/M60A1_right.htm

And I had 17 of them! Mine! All mine!! And I was only 25 years old.
Carry on!

FR
Old 08-07-07, 07:29 PM   #24
bassfisher02

Thats a huge spotlight mounted above the cannon, I bet it lit everything up.
Old 08-08-07, 09:24 AM   #25
FlyRod

Quote:
Thats a huge spotlight mounted above the cannon, I bet it lit everything up.
You bet it did! It's a Xenon light AND an Infrared as well. On "Normal" setting, the white light would illuminate a target well beyond the maximum effective range (limited by the fire control ballistics computer, the 105mm round would reach the moon, ). We'd set the light to pencil beam and boresight the gun to strike the center of the beam, then fire test rounds to zero it in tightly. The tank commander (yours truly) could select "Overdrive" which would increase the light output further. You could read a newspaper at over 15 miles.
The Infrared feature turned off the white light and the gunner's Infrared sight would pick up the target. The poor saps we were shooting at had no idea they were being lit up until we REALLY lit 'em up. The gunner could choose (at my discretion, of course,) whether to engage with the main gun (if the target was a tank, armored carrier, bunker, etc.,) OR the .30 cal MG mounted coaxially with the main boomer (Troops in the open, trucks, etc.)
I had control of the "fiddycal" at my position and I could take control of the turret, main gun and coax MG by gripping the commander's override and using my rangefinder as a sight. We often ran without a gunner, but ya gotta have a loader.
The main gun's ammo choices were HEAT; (High Explosive Anti-tank, a shaped charge that could defeat any armor plate at any range.), HEP; (High Explosive Plastic.) This little jewel did not penetrate. It flattened against the target and exploded, causing "spalling"; Chunks of armor would chip off INSIDE the target and ricochet around along with radios, ammo, beer bottles, and whatever else they had...all became lethal schrapnel inside. This round might allow one to capture a relatively intact target. Of course you had to vacuum out the former owners.
The gun, by the way, was a license-built British Vickers L7. The barrel in mine was actually stamped "Manufactured by Oldsmobile Division, General Motors Corp." Funny, since I learned to drive and was "raised on" Olds.
Then there were various colored smoke rounds and the REAL fun one, "Beehive", This little item fired a couple thousand tiny darts, called flechettes, from the main boomer. It replaced the Canister Round that fired a wad of roller bearings. "Beehive" had an effective range of a few hundred meters and could pass through a tree trunk of perhaps 6" thickness at considerable range. The legends telling of baddies being stapled to trees and wooden structures are true. Spot a sniper in a tree, and...heeheehee!
All those fun toys...at taxpayer's expense! Great!

Garryowen!

FR

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.