Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-03-05, 08:59 PM   #1
angltate
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to angltate
Default UPDATE - Live Bait Fishing...

Hey All~

I told you I would be back! Well, I went fishing this weekend w/ the guy who loves live bait.

We bought 24 minnows - figured that would last us for a good few hours - and it did.

When we started off, it was looking to be a really bad day. The weather was fine, but it took awhile before the feeding frenzy. ;D

About an hour and a half into it, I nabbed a small LM. Perfect looking fish - just small. I wanna SAY it was 2 lbs, but it was probably closer to 1. Oh well. My friend kept fishing.

Few minutes later, I caught this REALLY silver fish. It wasn't a bass - and it wasn't anything I've ever seen before. Another fisherman was walking by said it might have been a perch, but aren't perch longer and thinner? And Yellow? This was VERY silver - to the point of shiny, and it was shaped almost like a fat bluegill. Hmm. John (The guy I was fishing with) said it was a silverfish, whatever that is... Again, he kept on fishing.

Then, I guess within the span of a 1/2 hour, I caught 3 smallies. Awesome for me, because (1) I never caught that many smallies in one trip, and (2) they had black spots. WTF? Anyway, through all this, my friend wasn't catching a thing. Poor guy. LOL.

THEN, the catch of the day. Not a bass, but a catfish. Got done unhooking the last smallie, released, baited up, and casted out. I watched my bobber completely disappear. Setting the hook is easy w/ Power Pro, and as I'm fighting this fish, I'm telling my friend - I got something BIG here...

I was REALLY hoping for a huge bass, but as I got it closer to the shore, I could see the dark. The fish put up an extreme fight and when I brought it on shore, we both just said, "Holy Sh!t."

It was huge. There wasn't a time in my life fishing I wanted to have a scale on me, because this thing was a monster. I snapped a picture of it, and quickly got him back in the water.

It was a fun day. My friend didn't do too well... he wound up catching a sunnie w/ a piece of roll from his lunch. LOL. He said he didn't want to end the say w/out catching something.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Just as that Cat went after my minnow, would a Carp do the same thing? The reason I ask is because this particular lake is known for having some big Carp, but I wouldn't imagine something like that hitting a minnow. Thoughts?

--
Lou

PS: Definite shout out to PowerPro. Last year I must have lost 5-10 fish because of snapped lines, and without PP, I wouldn't have been able to bring that cat in. That thing was a BULL!
angltate is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.