Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-05, 03:12 PM   #1
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52
Default UltraLight tackle for big bass

i was wonderin what lures, can be used on ultralight for some bass fishing because i want to fight the fish for once, not just horse him into me. Also what line is better for ultralight Stren Magnaflex, Stren Extra Tough, Stren Original, or stren Magnathin. And what lb test my reel has a maximum of 6lb line and it only holds 65 yds 6lb test 80yds 4 lb test and 122 yds of 2 lb test. Also, the wieght on the lures has to be from 1/16- 1/4 oz. the rod is a fenwick the reel is a quantum xtralite soon to be a Penn( thinking SSg)
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-05, 04:41 PM   #2
bassguy2004

Default Re: UltraLight tackle for big bass

You kind of answered your own question on lure size. Anything small for the ultra lite. Beetle spins, small spinnerbaits, small crankbaits, etc. As for the line, I would consider stepping up to at least 8lb. just me. Have fun with that setup, because a 6 to 8 lb fish will give you a test of your mettle.
Old 02-12-05, 09:41 PM   #3
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

I'm not familiar with those lines, except for the Stren Original, but you want to use the limpest line you can, especially so on smaller reels.

If you're in relatively open water, and your line hasn't been weakened by nicks, or whatever, your knot is strong and drag is set right, you can land very large fish on 4# line.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 03:24 AM   #4
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass

For UL, go with Super Silver Thread or Yo Zuri Hybrid 4lb. If you want a true UL set up, stay away from the Penn Reel and look at the Tica Cetus SB500. This reel is about 6oz and is on par or better than every light tackle reel I've ever used. I am very big into the finesse fishing movement. Generally I don't go larger than 3/16 for true UL. You can go from 1/64th oz up to 3/16oz.
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 10:45 AM   #5
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

One lure that works exceptionally well is called the 4 inch Razor Worm, available from www.buehlersales.com

I've had trememdous luck in clearwater fishing with the 4 inch grasshopper color razor worm texposed on a number 1 or 2 Gamakatsu worm hook.....the regular offset shank worm hook, not the wide gap or G-lock.

I use no weight, just toss it out and let it sink....it will fall very slowly and truly, that's the key. Let it fall to bottom and set for at least 30 seconds if nothing hasn't grabbed it on the initial fall. Then, lift s-l-o-w-l-y about two feet to feel for fish.....if nothing, let it re-fall and wait 15 seconds. If nothing takes it on the second fall, reel in and try another likely spot.

I fish grasshopper 95 percent of the time, but after a while and no bite, I would recommend switching to a black or black/chartreuse Slider worm and using the same method.

Casting on lite line is easy, but here are some things to try on the cast to see what works best..... Try regular casting first, then after a few, try skipping the worm a little upon entry. After skipping, try a high arc cast trying to splash on entry. And lastly, try landing the worm on a bank or lily pad, mat of weeds, top of stump, etc.....then pulling it slowly off and letting it sink.

Another worm that works well, but this time on a snagless slider hook or slider crappie hook, is the Original Ring Worm again from Buehler Sales, is the Original 4 inch Ring Worm, also in grasshopper.....having a lightly weighted hook that glides also can work well, also fished slowly. I mostly use these in heavy weeds and when the wind is up. In the weeds, the rings brush against them making a little underwater commotion on the way through.....and also having a little weight when drifting the boat gets the worm down quicker to the bass before moving on.

Hope this helps, good fishing, Mac
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 01:38 PM   #6
dave_in_fl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to dave_in_fl

Its not very popular it seems but i personally love berkley fireline on my spinning reels, i use the 10 lb/ 4 lb diam. on my large spinning gear, the smaller stuff would be great on an ultralight. the 6 lb/ 2 lb diam stuff would be awesome.

As for baits for ultralight bass fishing. Here are a few of my favorites.
1. 3" bass assassin rigged on a 1/0 gamakatsu hook
2. The next to smallest bomber fat A, its not the one thats about 1" total with the lip its more like 1 1/2" or so. Firetiger is my favorite color in it.
3. Bill Lewis Tiny Trap in chrome blue is always a killer.
4. Drop shot a 4" straight worm this can be more fun than anything somtimes.

dave_in_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 09:45 PM   #7
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=cullin8s link=board=news;num=1108231932;start=0#5 date=02/13/05 at 11:38:13]Its not very popular it seems but i personally love berkley fireline on my spinning reels, i use the 10 lb/ 4 lb diam. on my large spinning gear, the smaller stuff would be great on an ultralight. the 6 lb/ 2 lb diam stuff would be awesome.[/quote]

Well without a doubt, IMHO I haven't tried a better line for spinning gear PERIOD. Now I haven't tried them ALL, but I have tried probably over 30 different brands/kinds/etc...

As for this topic, I'll just say that the more you Fight/Play the fish, the more chance you have of killing it. So I personally use heavy gear, and try to get the fish in the boat ASAP. My UL stuff is for Panfish, and the kids. Not trying to stir the pot, this is just MY OPINION.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 10:22 PM   #8
gonefishy2002
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gonefishy2002

You might want to try a 3" senko (black, white or fading watermelonw/ or w/o black flake) on your rig with a Gamagatsu 1/0 ewg or a #1 offset hook. I have killed them with this using 4 or 6# Vanish (I really like flouro for senko fishing) fish it the way Mac10 says to fish the razor worm. use no weight, just toss it out and let it sink....it will fall very slowly and truly, that's the key. Let it fall to bottom and set for at least 30 seconds if nothing hasn't grabbed it on the initial fall. Then, lift s-l-o-w-l-y about two feet to feel for fish.....if nothing, let it re-fall and wait 15 seconds. If nothing takes it on the second fall, reel in and try another likely spot.

This is a go to rig for me and is rare to disapoint.
gonefishy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 10:26 PM   #9
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

When I'm getting skunked I normally pull out the ultra-light rod and use a Yo Zuri Pin's Minnow. This lure does an excellent job imitating super small baitfish and minnows. You will catch lots of numbers, and every now and then the fish will be pretty decent.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 12:09 AM   #10
LEVI
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to LEVI

Lizard,
Now why do you have to go and call us Ultra Lighters out ! Where is the fun in using your pool stick rods and 50 .lb line to catch a 2-3.lb fish ;D. You went and stirred the pot and I knocked it over .

Kybasser
LEVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 10:12 AM   #11
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Kybasser link=board=news;num=1108231932;start=0#9 date=02/13/05 at 22:09:38]Lizard,
Now why do you have to go and call us Ultra Lighters out ! Where is the fun in using your pool stick rods and 50 .lb line to catch a 2-3.lb fish ;D. You went and stirred the pot and I knocked it over .

Kybasser[/quote]

LMAO, very good. But while you're still fighting that fish I'll be putting 2 more in the boat, before you land that 1.

Lizards
Old 02-14-05, 03:14 PM   #12
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

I fish both ways. I don't believe for a second that with light tackle it takes extraoridnary amounts of extra time to land fish. I caught a 13.9 on 6lb test and it really didn't take significant time to land it.

what is the difference if I fight a fish for 15 seconds longer than you yet your fish is hoisted over the side of the boat and smacks down on the deck? Who's fish is worse for wear? Watch BASS events on TV and almost everyone of these guys swings the fish into the boat.

I'll take my chances with light line when I need to.
Old 02-14-05, 05:33 PM   #13
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

All i have to say is wow guys thanks for all the great input on ultralighting
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 11:29 PM   #14
LEVI
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to LEVI

Earthworm,
You tell em man!

Lizard,
Now what? Huh, what kind of response do you have now ;D!

Kybasser

p.s lizard I'm just giving you a hard time, it's just too easy
LEVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 11:43 PM   #15
bassguy2004

I like ultra light as much as the next guy, but for fishing tourneys, give me a med. heavy any day to get the fish in the net. The quicker you get her in the net and in the live well, the less stress on the fish. Just my opinion.
Old 02-15-05, 08:59 AM   #16
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=earthworm77 link=board=news;num=1108231932;start=0#11 date=02/14/05 at 13:14:18]I fish both ways. I don't believe for a second that with light tackle it takes extraoridnary amounts of extra time to land fish. I caught a 13.9 on 6lb test and it really didn't take significant time to land it.[/quote]

Very impressive for sure. I would guess not 10% of the fishing population, could duplicate that result.

Quote:
what is the difference if I fight a fish for 15 seconds longer than you yet your fish is hoisted over the side of the boat and smacks down on the deck? Who's fish is worse for wear? Watch BASS events on TV and almost everyone of these guys swings the fish into the boat.
15 seconds is a long time to be constantly fighting with all of your strength, try to just take your legs and push as hard as you can against the wall or something immovable for 15 seconds, and see how you feel. I'm not saying a longer fight will kill every fish you hook. But it can make a difference, and weaken it, therefor making it better prey also. Getting the fish into a live well or back in the water as quickly a possible is always the least amount of stress on the fish. I not slamming anyone who uses UL tackle, I posted what MY OPINION was on the subject.

Quote:
I'll take my chances with light line when I need to.
My intention was not to slam anyone who uses UL tackle. If you feel the need to use it to help you get more fish in the boat then by all means do so. I prefer alternative methods/equipment

ky,

I enjoy taking jabs from anyone. I enjoy a good barb thrown my way occasionally, since I give em out more than my share. I can and do laugh at myself daily ;D

Lizards
Old 02-15-05, 01:45 PM   #17
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Liz, I didn't take it as a slam. I just think that the general population has a misconception that light tackle anglers fight their fish till exhaustion which would absolutely harm them. I can honestly say I've never fought a bass for more than a minute tops, no matter how large.

My big gal was more luck than anything as I've lost fish twice as small doing much less on 6lb line. The stars were aligned that day I suppose.

We're cool!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.