Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-05, 08:00 PM   #1
Ldobosn
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ldobosn
Default Catching a state record!

I know of a lake that is housing a potential state record largemouth in colorado. I know about where this monster is going to be spawning or hanging out. My question is what would be the best techinque to catching this bass out of relatively deep water, baits and ways to catch it? It is a long main lake point than has one side drop off into deep water and the other gradually slopes down. The water will be relatively clear about 7 or 8 feet and thier is literally almost no vegiation in this lake. The bottom of the lake is sand and rock. And their are stocked trout and many yellow perch in this lake. I mainly fish shallow for bass and have very limited experiences fishing deeper than ten feet or so. I believe this bass will be somewhere between 8-20 feet deep on this point. Im planning on going in mid march through late april or early may fishing for this bass. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Ldobosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 08:23 PM   #2
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva
Default Re: Catching a state record!

how big is this fish?....match the hatch.try a swim bait about the same size as the trout or perch.
good fishing
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 08:24 PM   #3
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

try fishing the drop off and the rocks.for colors since the water is clear go with light colors like yellows and pinks and light colors like that. if ur goin that biggun then use big lures. sorry i cant be more help
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 08:50 PM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=bassintom link=board=news;num=1108508401;start=0#1 date=02/15/05 at 18:23:50]how big is this fish?....match the hatch.try a swim bait about the same size as the trout or perch.
good fishing
[/quote]

Ditto,

if it's a state record, you need a big swim bait that looks the same size as the existing perch.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 09:30 PM   #5
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

I recommend an Adams parachute style dry fly fished on a 3 wt flyrod...this is colorado right?

Or, live bait....a shiner fished deep with a split shot and a balloon like they do in florida. Â*

Either way, the record is good as stamped in you honor...or not....
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 10:01 PM   #6
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

You can try looking at the Big Bass Zone articles on http://www.bassfan.com and also read the articles on the California trophy hunters in the current Bassmaster.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 11:56 PM   #7
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Your best bet would be to email me w/ the name of lake and location. Also GPS coordinates would be helpful. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 12:03 AM   #8
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

good one fireman. man i need to call u somethin else. fireman just doesnt roll off the tounge. i dont want to use hose holder cause thats zookers.
Old 02-16-05, 05:09 PM   #9
Ldobosn
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ldobosn

Well basically i have seen this bass twice while trout fishing and i would guess it to be some where around 11-14 pounds. I think i might try a large perch lookin lure, swim baits are like 20 some dollars and i will almost never use it.
Ldobosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 06:24 PM   #10
TheBassMan
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to TheBassMan

The best advice I can give you is to just fan cast the entire area with everything in your tacklebox. If you know he is there, don't leave the spot all day until he comes out to play. He didn't get to be 11-14 lbs by sitting there doing nothing......He's got to eat eventually.

Catch em up
Brian
TheBassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 06:32 PM   #11
GeeBeeJim

[quote author=krueger link=board=news;num=1108508401;start=0#0 date=02/15/05 at 18:00:01]I know of a lake that is housing a potential state record largemouth in colorado. Â*I know about where this monster is going to be spawning or hanging out. Â* Â*Im planning on going in mid march through late april or early may fishing for this bass. Â*Any help would be appreciated. Â*Thanks [/quote]

Do you plan on killing this magnificant fish in order to establish your STATE RECORD ? >
Old 02-16-05, 07:21 PM   #12
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

whats ur state record becuase 11-14 lbs doesnt seem like a state record. dont get me wrong thats a really big bass but i thought ur state record bass would be bigger. hey what do i no
Old 02-16-05, 09:03 PM   #13
UtahBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to UtahBass

<<...whats ur state record becuase 11-14 lbs doesnt seem like a state record. dont get me wrong thats a really big bass but i thought ur state record bass would be bigger...>>

I did a little googling, and the site I found says that Colorado's State Record largemouth is 11 lbs, 6 oz... caught in Echo Canyon Reservoir in 1997.

If I'm wrong, it's the fault of this website:
http://www.landbigfish.com/statereco...cords.cfm?ID=6
UtahBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 11:47 PM   #14
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=krueger link=board=news;num=1108508401;start=0#8 date=02/16/05 at 15:09:20]Well basically i have seen this bass twice while trout fishing and i would guess it to be some where around 11-14 pounds. I think i might try a large perch lookin lure, swim baits are like 20 some dollars and i will almost never use it.[/quote]

Well if it catches the State record, I would say you will definately recoup the investment. And if it isn't a state record, so what, it's the fish of a lifetime, $20 is REAL CHEAP.

Bassfisher,

Our state record is in the 14lb+ mark. How I have no idea. Most of the states around me our in the 11-12 pound range. I think it could definately be a record in a lot of states, just not the farther south you get. You are just spoiled on those FL bass.

Lizards
Old 02-16-05, 11:55 PM   #15
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

i guess i am lizards ;D what do u get if u get a state record? money? sponsers? tackle?
Old 02-17-05, 12:00 AM   #16
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=news;num=1108508401;start=0#14 date=02/16/05 at 21:55:11]i guess i am lizards ;D what do u get if u get a state record? money? sponsers? tackle?[/quote]

depends on you, the state, the equipment you were using(or say you were using in some cases :P) Yes you could get a lot of publicity, sponsers if you're good enough, endorsements from folks. I can't remember who it is that will give you cash if the record is caught on their stuff. Anyway, regardless of all of that, it would still be the thrill and excitement of a lifetime with a fish that big.

Lizards
Old 02-17-05, 12:06 AM   #17
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to james33

[quote author=lizardsrule link=board=news;num=1108508401;start=0#15 date=02/16/05 at 22:00:09]

depends on you, the state, the equipment you were using(or say you were using in some cases :P) Â*Yes you could get a lot of publicity, sponsers if you're good enough, endorsements from folks. Â*I can't remember who it is that will give you cash if the record is caught on their stuff. Â*Anyway, regardless of all of that, it would still be the thrill and excitement of a lifetime with a fish that big.

Lizards[/quote]

Lizards I believe Diachi hooks offers a bunch for a state record caught on their hooks.
james33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.