Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-05, 02:04 PM   #1
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261
Default Lizards Info....

Plastic Lizards

Plastic lizards are versatile lures that mimic live salamanders or newts. Many anglers believe these creatures are predators of bass eggs and that they provoke an aggressive response from bedding bass. Like plastic worms, lizards can be rigged in a number of ways.

PLASTIC LIZARDS vs. PLASTIC WORMS: Although plastic lizards are similar in many ways to plastic worms, these differences should be noted: 1. The plastic lizard is a bulkier lure. It is therefore heavier and easier to cast when unweighted, and easier for the bass to see when visibility is limited. 2. The plastic lizard has more action. Besides its tail, it has four legs which writhe when the lure moves. 3. The plastic lizard resembles a salamander, which is thought to be an egg predator of bedding bass.

WHEN TO FISH PLASTIC LIZARDS: Spring is regarded as prime time for lizard fishing by most anglers. However, this lures can also be fished successfully in summer and fall as well, especially on a Carolina rig. In early spring, lizards are usually best when the water is stained to murky. However, you should also try lizards in clear 65 to 75 degree water when bass are bedding or holding around flooded bushes.

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-05, 02:05 PM   #2
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Re: Lizards Info....

WHERE TO FISH PLASTIC LIZARDS: 1. Close To Shallow Wood Cover. Fish around stumps, logs, brush in early spring, when the water is from 45 to 60 degrees. 2. On Largemouth Spawning Beds. These lures often provoke vicious responses from bedding fish. 3. Around Shallow Flooded Bushes In Clear To Slightly Stained Water. Rigged weightless, lizards may be used as a sight fishing lure under these conditions. 4. When Rigged Carolina Style, On Deep Structure. This includes the ends of points, channel drop offs, ditches, humps and submerged roadbeds. Just about anyplace you'd fish a deep diving crankbait or plastic worm. 5. In Thick Weed Cover. The bulkier profile of the lizard makes the lure more visible than a plastic worm in dense grassbeds. 6. On Top Of Surface Weeds. Properly rigged, a lizard can scoot over the top of pond scum, lilypads, matted hydrilla or milfoil and the like, and draw an explosive strike from a bass. 7. In Deep, Clear Lakes At Night In Hot Weather. The added bulk and action of a plastic lizard make it a good choice for night fishing.

RIGGING PLASTIC LIZARDS: These lures have become much more popular in recent years as the popularity of alternative rigging method has soared. 1. Texas Rig. Here, the lizard is rigged with the hook point buried back into the body of the lure, just as when Texas rigging a plastic worm. A worm sinker is used; this can be either pegged or allowed to slide freely on the line. 2. Floating Rig. Rig the lizard on an abrasion resistant mono leader and use a swivel. 3. Carolina Rig. Substitute the lizard for a plastic worm. Vary the leader length according to bottom conditions. 4. Split Shot Rig. In clear water, use a 4 inch lizard on 4 to 8 pound line. Use a light wire worm hook rigged Texas style and pinch a split shot from 18 to 24 inches ahead of the lizard. 5. On A Leadhead. Rig the lizard openhooked on a 1/16 to 3/8 oz. leadhead. This is ideal when fishing a clear, rocky lake, especially at night. 6. Jig Trailer. A plastic lizard may be used as a jig trailer when flipping or pitching heavy cover, especially weedbeds.

Robby.
Old 01-09-05, 02:05 PM   #3
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

PLASTIC LIZARD TACKLE : Tackle used will depend on conditions. In clear, shallow water, a stiff 6 to 6 foot 3 inch spinning rod and 8 to 10 pound test line will work. In stained water, use a worm rod, pitching rod, or flipping stick and heavy mono or high tech line. In open water when Carolina rigging, use a 6 1/2 to 7 foot baitcasting rod and 10 to17 pound test leader line. In open water when split shotting, use a medium action spinning outfit and 4 to 8 pound test mono. At night, use a medium heavy spinning rod and 8 pound test line or a medium heavy baitcaster and 12 to 14 pound test line. Bed Fishing Presentation. When bass are spawning, either rig the lizard weightless with a worm hook that will slowly sink it, or with a light worm sinker or split shot. Cast well past the bed and reel slowly so the lizard drags bottom as it moves toward you. Bottom contact will supply the needed erratic action. When you see the bass pick up the lizard, set the hook hard. Vary the speed of retrieve and inject intermittent pauses as necessary to trigger a response from the bass.

LIZARD SIZES AND COLORS: Lizards come in 4, 6, 7, and 9 inch sizes. In gin clear water, the 4 and 6 inch sizes are best. In low visibility situations or where bass run unusually big, try the larger sizes. Live salamanders and newts come in a rainbow of colors. Many are drab brown, black or olive green; others are bright red, orange or yellow. Some aquatic varieties are white. In nature, certain bright colors, especially yellow, are warnings that the creature may have an unpleasant taste or even be dangerous. Predators learn to avoid these creatures. Wasps, bumblebees, coral snakes and electric eels all have bright yellow markings and so do many salamanders. A plastic salamander with bright yellow or red dots or stripes may trigger bass to strike under some conditions, but if you aren't getting a response from the fish, switch to a more discreet color. Many anglers report success using lizards in watermelon green, brown and black. If more visibility or a trigger component is desired, try combining an orange or chartreuse tail or legs with these drab colors. Colors may be fine tuned in the boat by using one of the worm dye products available.

Robby.
Old 01-09-05, 04:16 PM   #4
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

zilla
that post came out weird. but you have a good point lizards are like worms they have many rigging opinions. and many more techniques for fishing them. although if i am using a lizard of 6-12" i usally go with a wide gap worm hook more and likly 3/0 or larger.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-05, 04:42 PM   #5
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

It was to big to post had to break it up.

Robby.
Old 02-12-05, 07:47 PM   #6

Another trick for rigging lizards is to bite the head off and imitate the head from the sinker you use . Looks like the real head only with the weight you wanted.
Old 02-13-05, 09:15 PM   #7
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Welll now wasn't that a good post I have to say there is a lot of great info in there. I do have some personal preferences that do vary from the above post, but it was an exceptional piece. Did you write it or did you read it and post it from another source? VERY GOOD

PS Lizards always work ;D

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 09:23 PM   #8
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Go figure a Lizard complimenting a lizard thread. Very nice article, Ive recently upped my collection and sizes of lizards. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-05, 10:51 PM   #9
ALAN_RAMSEY
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ALAN_RAMSEY

hey thanks robzilla good info never herd of puting a jig head on a lizard before. good postind i appreciate it

Dan
2canbass
ALAN_RAMSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 05:47 AM   #10
nicholastown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nicholastown

Wow, great information, sounded like something out of a magazine, lol.
nicholastown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 10:49 AM   #11
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

i have hundreds of lizards,but i only use the 4"watermelon in early spring.
it was a good article.
lizards,you still sporting wood from that article? ;D ;D ;D
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 06:39 PM   #12
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

[quote author=bassintom link=board=news;num=1105290278;start=0#10 date=02/14/05 at 08:49:13]lizards,you still sporting wood from that article? ;D ;D ;D[/quote]
lmao really a good one
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 10:03 PM   #13
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

Not that it really matters, but Zoom also makes a 5 inch size that I prefer in heavy coontail.

In addition of the lizard having legs that writhe, the legs also catch on weeds and create a commotion underwater when passing through. 99 percent of the time, I prever mine weightless and have had very good results with watermelon/red. Here in the local tournaments, the fellow who wins most of the time uses green pumpkin with bullet weights to fish the currents.
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 12:15 AM   #14
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983

I've been wondering-since so many say large bait=large fish, would a 8-inch lizard be any better than a 5 inch or a 6 inch lizard? When would it be applicable to use the 8 inch size? I've had good results with a zellamender and regular lizard but haven't used the 8 inch yet.

Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 08:23 AM   #15
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

All my soft plastics are iin the 8" range, - a few grubs. Ive caught 1/2 pound bass and 10 pound bass with them. Only time I see having to move down is when the fish are easily spooked or not biting. This will usually dictate a change in speed and/or presentation. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 09:17 AM   #16
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=bassinbob link=board=news;num=1105290278;start=0#13 date=02/14/05 at 22:15:17]I've been wondering-since so many say large bait=large fish, would a 8-inch lizard be any better than a 5 inch or a 6 inch lizard? When would it be applicable to use the 8 inch size? I've had good results with a zellamender and regular lizard but haven't used the 8 inch yet.

Bob[/quote]

Zellamanders are good baits. I will normally fish the 6" and if I start catching a lot of fish, I will upsize to the 8" to try to catch some bigger ones. Not sure if it helps or hurts, but I usually still catch fish.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-05, 01:49 PM   #17
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass

I'll use the 4" Yammie lizard or the 4" Mister Twister lizard.....the original one not the one with the side flaps.
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.