Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-08, 10:59 PM   #1
ky southern

Default help me crank

this is my weakest point,i only own 6 crankbaits(all bps xps series).but i want to strenghten in this area,and really try to get a pattern going this spring thats includes the crank bait.my plan is to raid bass pro and buy another extreme combo,6,6 medium action just for cranks.i need some help on what cranks to buy,color,depth range etc.
Old 12-07-08, 11:10 PM   #2
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Those Bandit 100 Tenn. Shad are pretty good http://www.banditlures.com
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 01:08 AM   #3
bhfishman
BassFishin.Com Member

This is how it gets started! I like the Bandit 200's and 300's. The colors you need depend on the water you fish. The depth is another issue. I went through this same process a few years ago and now I have about 6 boxes of cranks plus 3 boxes of jerk baits.
I would suggest, if you can afford it, that you get a rod made for crank baits. This will make all the difference in the world. I have 2 and would like to get one more. I have a 7ft and a 6'6" St. Croix.
They are great rods and basically they do all the work for you.

I like the Tenn Shad color, mad cow, and the splatter back colors.

Good luck
Old 12-08-08, 03:54 AM   #4
pig n jig

Bandit 100 & 200, Rapala DT3 & 6 series, Manns baby 1 minus and if your really crazy a Megabass Griffon or Cyclone crank. Also do yourself a favor and buy a Strike King red eye shad rattle trap.The paint and finish on the red eye don't keep well but they flat out catch fish when you use a yo yo presentation.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 06:49 AM   #5
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

buy some rapala dt 16 and find some rip rap.bounce them off the rocks on the bottom.
Old 12-08-08, 08:38 AM   #6
woody

That Bandit Lures website also offers some good Fishing Tips.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 10:31 AM   #7
MIbasser

KY, if you are a fan of BPS spend a little more and get the David Frits combo. C-Rig did a write up on the reel a little while ago.

As for cranks, I'm a fan of the Strike King in most colors and size. Check out the new KVD sexy shad kit. Good color and it works (for me).
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 11:26 AM   #8
Joel

Ky, I'm what some would say "A crankin.' fool". I just love to throw crankbaits whenever I can. Basically my technique is to work a crankbait along the bottom of weed beds digging the bill into whatever is down there, pause, then repeat. Strikes usually come after the pause. I also like working a crankbait along walls, rip rap, etc. I do loose cranks, but they catch their share of Bass.

For me, my basic arsenal are Rapala DT10s & DT16s coupled with a Falcon Low Rider 7'0" cranking stick/Daiwa Advantage TDA 150 A 5.2-1 gear ratio spooled with 30 lb Power Pro (to be respooled with Sufix Braid sooner or later) with a 12-14 lb mono leader. I can get away with using DT6's at times, but the bigger cranks just seem to attract more Bass.

I use a Mann's -1 over weedbeds but if the weeds are to close to the surface, I switch off to frog/rat,a Spook jr, or a Super fluke if I want a slower presentation.

I have a whole box of shallow running cranks like the Rapala DT4-6s that I never use. I guess that my personal presentation isn't geared to using them effectively.
Old 12-08-08, 09:02 PM   #9
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

talk to da zooker pal. he is a crank bait phenom. seriously, zooker,joel, pignjig are the ones that i know of that are crank bait gurus.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 09:03 PM   #10
Marty

I've been fishing crankbaits for 39 years, but I claim no expertise. However, there are countless brands, sizes, styles, shapes, colors, etc. that are productive.

I'd choose a few from brands whose names you know (you're off to a good start with the BPS) and make sure they run at the depths you want to fish. I don't place a high priority on color. Get a muted color like shad or bluegill and a loud one like firetiger and they will serve you well.

Don't buy too many. Use a few to get a better feel for using them and after awhile you'll know what else you want in your crankbait box.

Good luck. I generally throw cranks wherever the cover will permit and I think these lures have few equals in their ability to attract strikes.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 09:21 PM   #11
ky southern

thanks fellows,keep it coming.this is the type info i was needing.boy those bandit crank baits do look sweet and can be had at bass pro,as well as ebay.i mainly fish reservoir lake that is clear,not much grass if any.most structure is old bridges and culverts with mostly clear water.lots of stumps.
Old 12-08-08, 09:59 PM   #12
Joel

To me the key to being successful with a crankbait is to bounce it off of something, then a pause, and then start to crank again. The vast majority of my strikes come right after the pause, not when I'm pausing it. Maybe the Bass seem to sense that the crankbait is a stunned or wounded fish. And for me that's working the bottom, either along a weed bed edge or a bottom stretch covered with all sorts of stuff. Same for a Ratttle Trap except it sinks rather then floats so you have to imply a ripping action to get it to rise, then crank, pause, repeat.

Now over the weeds is a different story for me. Most of the weedbeds I fish are within a few feet of the surface, and after the last few years of a warm winter followed by a early summer, the weeds were right at the top if not over it. In those conditions I 1st tried a Manns-1 followed by a Super Fluke or a Frog/Rat.
Old 12-08-08, 10:01 PM   #13
Jim80

The bandits are nasty but I am also a big fan of the bomber model A's and their fat free shad , dt-10's that have already been mentioned . Fluorocarbon is my line of choice for crankin #12 for clear water with less structure and cover and #20 for heavier structure and cover . Having the lower gear ratio on your reel like Joel said really helps bring out the action of the bait , other than that your main goal other than catching fish should be to knock the bait of everything you can , contact is the key to being successful with a crank .

Jim
Old 12-08-08, 10:03 PM   #14
crankybait

How to crank???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLGLum5SyKQ

Hah just kidding... Couldn't resist.

One tip i do have for you however, regardling lipless cranks. Try ta fish it through some grass, let it snagg a bit but tear it out. Use heavy braid and a MH or H rod... fish go crazy for it
Old 12-09-08, 06:47 PM   #15
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky southern View Post
thanks fellows,keep it coming.this is the type info i was needing.boy those bandit crank baits do look sweet and can be had at bass pro,as well as ebay.i mainly fish reservoir lake that is clear,not much grass if any.most structure is old bridges and culverts with mostly clear water.lots of stumps.
the key to the crank is contact bandit 100 in tenn shad has caught hundereds of bass for me..just check out some of my post with pictures in it..

lots of stumps and limited weeds just the way the crankbait god intended..

here is a hint in clear water firetiger looks like brim.

i have quite a few bandits but there is NO one bait all conditions. bandit 100 are good when the water is warmer. a speed trap, wiggle wart, and jerk baits really shine in the colder water..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
seriously, zooker,joel, pignjig are the ones that i know of that are crank bait gurus.
pignjig?? cranks?? are you for real bama??...

zooker
Old 12-09-08, 06:50 PM   #16
bamabassman

did or did you not TEACH THEM? i thought you did zooker.
Old 12-09-08, 07:24 PM   #17
zooker

not me bama pnj fell into crank fishin all by him self..

zooker
Old 12-09-08, 09:15 PM   #18
bamabassman

ok, my bad man. but he does have very good techinics (yea, i know...spelling,lol).
Old 12-11-08, 05:09 PM   #19
BassinBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

One thing I always do is throw a crankbait into any mess, Yeah you will get hung up but you can catch some good, big, bass. I am a big fan of wiggle warts and normans.
Old 12-11-08, 07:29 PM   #20
zooker

bandit
howmany times have you thought." oh crap i'll be hung fer sure" only to have a bass grabbit ...your answer will be the same as mine.. LOTS...

zooker
Old 12-11-08, 08:01 PM   #21
bigbasser

Send a message via ICQ to bigbasser
Thumbs up crankbaits

Ky the first thing to do is learn the forage of the waters you fish, crawfish colors, baitfish types. Then read up on the action of the different crankbaits ( tight or wide wiggle ). Now choose baits that are close to the forage colors and dive to the depth you want to fish ( -1, 4-6, 8-10, 10-12 ), keep it simple use a sharpie and write the depth range under the back of the bill. As for colors in general just starting out I would have some in Tenn/shad, crawdad, and a firetiger, but remember water color has to be considered. Are your waters gin clear, stained, muddy? Now as the snow season is about to start you will have time to do your homework, there are plenty of sites out there with a ton of articles on what I just said. DON"T get caught up buying the hot bait, I own hundreds of crankbaits some have just never seen water (waste of money ). I like them all, but don't spend just to spend. Select a couple and LEARN to use them, go slow and you'll become a good cranker. bigbasser
bigbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 12:00 AM   #22
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinBandit View Post
One thing I always do is throw a crankbait into any mess, Yeah you will get hung up but you can catch some good, big, bass. I am a big fan of wiggle warts and normans.
I don't get it. You cast a crankbait with duel treble hooks into any mess, which I'm taking to mean gak. Things that I would cast a frog/rat over or even a Super Fluke. And you just leave it there waiting for a Bass to strike?
Old 12-12-08, 09:18 AM   #23
BassinBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
bandit
howmany times have you thought." oh crap i'll be hung fer sure" only to have a bass grabbit ...your answer will be the same as mine.. LOTS...

zooker
OH yeah I dont know how many times I thought "this will be fun to get out of there" and BAM!!!! a fish nails it. My dad has said several times I cant beleive you caught a fish on a crankbait in that mess.
Old 12-12-08, 09:20 AM   #24
BassinBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
I don't get it. You cast a crankbait with duel treble hooks into any mess, which I'm taking to mean gak. Things that I would cast a frog/rat over or even a Super Fluke. And you just leave it there waiting for a Bass to strike?
Sorry man I mainly meed timber and laydowns things like that some grass. But hey I have cought them in trees before with my lure hanging barely in the water.
Old 12-12-08, 09:33 AM   #25
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinBandit View Post
Sorry man I mainly meed timber and laydowns things like that some grass. But hey I have cought them in trees before with my lure hanging barely in the water.
Thanks for clearing that up. I've pitched a Rapala DT4 around laydowns, but I rather pitch a spinnerbait in there, as it stands a much better chance of just pumping into branches without getting hung up.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.