Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-05, 04:14 PM   #1
bamabassin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bamabassin
Default Fishing at night?

lure? color? weather conditions? water conditions?
bamabassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 04:33 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Re: Fishing at night?

u might want to use a lure that glows in the water or makes noise.
Old 05-25-05, 04:42 PM   #3
Bladerunner
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bladerunner

anything black, (ive read and heard) the jitterbug is very good at night
Bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 05:18 PM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=bigjim link=board=news;num=1117048454;start=0#2 date=05/25/05 at 15:42:36]anything black, (ive read and heard) the jitterbug is very good at night[/quote]

At least you're paying attention. Black baits or at least very dark colored baits work the best. Weather conditions is up to you, if you will only fish on clear nights with no rain, well that's your choice. Jitterbug is my #1 choice in solid black(I actually paint the whole thing flat black, including the hooks). But buzzbaits or other topwater stuff will work. You want to have a bait the makes noise, and displaces water, such as Zipper worms, and Lizards or curly tail worms. There are also some night spinnerbaits made by stikeking that work well, just want to use something black/dark in color with a single colorado blade which displaces more water, and gives out more vibrations. Best spots are flats located close to deeper water. Here's one of my favorite tricks. Throw out your jitterbug/popper/spook/whater topwater that floats, to the edge of a flat. Once it hits let it sit for about 30-45 seconds not moving it at all.(let all the ripples disappear even though you can't see them), then give it a little twitch maybe 1-2 inches, and then let it sit for another 30-45 seconds. Again until all the ripples go away. Did I say hold on to your rod during this time with both hands ;D If no bites, then start your normal retrieve back to the boat/shore but make sure your holding on, and ready. They have some really good articles at http://www.bassresource.com also I believe the front of this site under the articles section has a nice article or 2, and look for night fishing articles. I could go on and on, but IMO the best time is during the hottest days of the summer, and many of the Hawgs will come out at night to feed. 8)

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 05:22 PM   #5
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

I hate to night fish. But when I talk to the guys that do it all the time they put a black skirt on the spinnerbait, and only other lure they will throw is a all black pig n jig..
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 06:06 PM   #6
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass

if night fishing, i like to do it around the full moon as it helps to illuminate the night sky giving you a little bit of visibility at least. I prefer wild shiners for night fishing, but if using lures dark colored noisy lures will be your best bet. Top waters are a ton of fun at night as you won't be able to see the hit, but you sure will hear it, the sound of a fish hitting a topwater at night is enough to send chills down my back.
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 07:14 PM   #7
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to madmarty

Night fishing can be very productive especially during the dog days of summer. Best after a warm still day with clear skies. On windy overcast days bass feed during the day so they may not feed again at night. Most experts prefer to fish 3 days before and after a full and new moon. Always use black while night fishing. Black creates a silhouette against the black sky. Favorite lures include jitterbug, spinnerbait with single colorado blade,or twin blade propbait. Large shallow flats are prime areas for night fishing.
madmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 07:29 PM   #8
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass

even if it isn't a full moon and it is pitch black, don't let that bother you, bass have better low light vision than we humans do. Most will suggest top waters and spinners (lures for shallow fishing) however a bass will be able to detect a bait at deeper depths. I've had luck using crank baits as well at night. Just be sure to add a rattle or something else that will draw them in from a distance, some sort of noise is key, I'd say noise is 10 times more important during night fishing than color, a fish may not see the silouette (spelling) (regardless of color), but they will come running when they hear the noise. Once they are somewhat close they can hone in on it using their lateral line system to get them even closer and then their site when they are up on it. I've caught fish at night using everything from your typical night lures such as buzzbaits, poppers, jitterbugs, but also on spinners, cranks, jigs, and even worms, but my best luck at night has been with live bait. Have fun and bring plenty of bug spray.
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 07:41 PM   #9
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to madmarty

Another thing, a slow steady retrieve works best at night because bass use their lateral line to home in on the lure. Be sure not to get any bug spray on your lure. You won't catch a fish all night.
madmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 07:44 PM   #10
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

I know its real productive esp on lakes that get hit extremely hard.
I just like to sleep is all lol
I'd much rather get back on the lake in mid summer about 4:30 a.m.and fish till about 10a.m. , just about when the boat traffic and ramp traffic really picks up.......
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.