Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-05, 11:28 PM   #1
fishinmusician
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishinmusician
Default Foot controlled trolling motor question.

Well guys I finally made the switch from a hand controlled to a foot controlled. The trolling motor I purchased is a Motorguide Pro Series 12v with 46 lbs. of thrust with a standard mount, I purchased it on sale at BPS for $299 witch I thought was a fair deal. My Bass boat is a 15 foot glass and 46 lbs. of thrust should push it along nicely. Here are my questions.....
1. I mounted the motor last night, it came with shock absorber mounting hardware. I drilled the holes and pushed the shock absorbers into the holes as the directions suggested, why aren't there backing nuts for the underside of the screws?
2. Where can I purchase the new 4 prong hook up?
3. what kind of on-board charger would you guys suggest with a 12v T-motor? I have 2 batteries for trolling and 1 for cranking.
4.Do I really need a circuit breaker?
fishinmusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-05, 11:47 PM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: Foot controlled trolling motor question.

FD-I just answered at BDO ;D

Well, might as well post it here, too ;D:

Congrats on the new motor!

If I'm thinking right the nuts for the mounting screws are inside the rubber T you inserted into the holes you drilled. You could put additional nuts on them, but you really don't need to. For the first few times you use it check the tightness of the screws-they will work loose, but once you have them seated that will stop. Not sure where to get the 4-prong hookup. I take that back-if it plugs into an outlet on the bow what I did was take it off the motor I replaced, and I recall seeing them at Home Depot in the electrical section.

On-board charger-I have a 24V TM that needs 2 batteries and use a Pro-Mariner charger that is a 2 bank-takes care of both of them. Just plug it in and forget it-this one is designed to keep plugged in so you don't have to worry about cooking them. You really don't need a charger on the cranking battery-I use an external charger the night before going out and so far I have not needed to charge it.

Circuit breaker-if there is an in-line fuse in the wires coming from the TM you don't need one, and my Motorguide has one so I imagine yours does too.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-05, 12:09 AM   #3
RebelBasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to RebelBasser

Fishin_ Dude.......You can buy the plugs and recepticles at any Wally World, Bass Pro, boat dealer etc.

A couple of things struck me as odd in your post though. Since it is a 12 volt trolling motor, why do you need 2 trolling batteries? One good battery will last all day long with a 46 lb tm.

Also a 4 prong plug is for 24 volt systems. All you really need is a 2 prong plug.
RebelBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-05, 08:10 AM   #4
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

when i installed my moter guide i had to buy a replace ment plug i think it was 12 bucks at wally world al though it is a minnkota plug and socket.
i belive you are running your battery set up like a large 12 volt system.
ranger 461
bull after about 6 hours a standard 12volt battery will be drained running a 2 battery 12 volt set up is by far the best way to do it. if your fishing style is run and gun you will need all the juice you can get.mind you running and gunning normally has the tm set at #3 speed.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-05, 01:16 AM   #5
RebelBasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Zook, notice I said "one GOOD" battery.

I ran a 45 lb Thruster one time on a boat about the size of the one he listed with an Everstart trolling battery and NEVER had any problems with it running down. Keep in mind that I fish the Tn. river system where current is constantly trying to take your boat downstream so a good battery is your lifeline.
Old 03-26-05, 05:38 AM   #6
fishinmusician
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishinmusician

[quote author=Ranger_461VS link=board=news;num=1111631334;start=0#2 date=03/24/05 at 22:09:27] Fishin_ Dude.......You can buy the plugs and recepticles at any Wally World, Bass Pro, boat dealer etc.

A couple of things struck me as odd in your post though. Since it is a 12 volt trolling motor, why do you need 2 trolling batteries? One good battery will last all day long with a 46 lb tm.

Also a 4 prong plug is for 24 volt systems. All you really need is a 2 prong plug.[/quote]

Your right it is a 2 prong, and the second battery is just for precautions.
fishinmusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-05, 08:25 AM   #7
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=fishin_dude link=board=news;num=1111631334;start=0#5 date=03/26/05 at 03:38:31]
, and the second battery is just for precautions.
[/quote]

EXCELLENT IDEA, I'll bet big money, that it will come in handy one day in the not to distant future
It always does.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-05, 02:30 PM   #8
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

ranger
i use interstate's i have a 52 pound thrust moter guide on a boat that weighs about the same as a tracker 17 footer.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-05, 10:45 PM   #9
RebelBasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Has anyone tried the Optima battery? When I buy another one, I'm considering one.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.