Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-05, 04:54 PM   #1
Mnavarro
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Mnavarro
Default Late Summer Fishing

there is a lake that i fish in in nj. it is average clarity and pretty warm. there are alot of lilly pads around the lake. the deepest part is about 15 feet, but the average is about 4 feet. now that the summer months are winding down i need some ideas on where to fish and how. any help would be great.
Mnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-05, 05:32 PM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I wish it was late summer here in MI, it is like the dog days without rain for 3 weeks and 90+ degrees! Around the lilly pad edges and in them is what I do. Mainly early in the morning too. Last time out I had some luck running a horny toad across the top of the pads and letting it fall into the small openings. Also I had one hit a buzz bait running through the lilly pads. I have given up until a front moves in though, too hot.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-05, 07:11 PM   #3
Denny_ohio
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thumbs up lilly pads!!!!!!!!!!

That's all you had to say FROG!!!!!!!!!!!!! in the morn/evening.or run your buzzbait right along the edge of the pads get it in there as tight as you can.
If you see a strip going through the lilly pads throw right down the gut...and hold on Use a grub as a trailer to slow the buzzbait down I have became a
true believe of trailers being around Jb. They really make a diff.Dont be afraid
to change colors,in Tenn. I was trowing a buzzbait w/Chart grub trailer..I wasn't
getting any action so I changed the trailer to a darker one, dark gray with red
glitter. It worked
Denny
Old 09-12-05, 07:34 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

late summer the out side air temps are going down lil by lil but the water temps are staying steady. it calls for one thing NIGHT BITE yep want to beat your head against the wall and fish during the day fine. but give me the darkest night with little to NO moon or total cloud cover. just you and a devil horse making sure you rig it on heavy mono 15-25 pound test a stout rod -heavy or better.- a high line capscity reel -like ambassador 5000- and start chunking in the area of points around weed beds. as the water will always be lighter than the weeds or any other object in color. it makes for good casting. oh yeah if you happen to fish lakes with flathead catfish or striper you know why a high cap reel is needed. the great thing about not seeing your lure any to well is you have to wait for the rod to load afore setting the hook..

zooker
Old 09-14-05, 08:45 PM   #5
Mnavarro
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Mnavarro

i tried a frog manu times but with little success. what i do is i skip the frog accross the pads and let it sit in the open spots. i got one bite with this thing, that is it.what kina frog should i get and am i using the right technique?
Mnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-05, 10:42 PM   #6
KH.

i can never get the hook out of the frog,impossible hookset
Old 09-14-05, 10:46 PM   #7
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnavarro
i tried a frog manu times but with little success. what i do is i skip the frog accross the pads and let it sit in the open spots. i got one bite with this thing, that is it.what kina frog should i get and am i using the right technique?
You can get one of the Snag Proof frogs, but the hottest frog out there is a Zoom Horny Toad or one of the variations. Throw it on a 5-0 hook in and around the weeds.

As it cools down tie on a spinnerbait. Fish will be starting to gorge themselves for the winter and a spinnerbait will catch the active ones.
Old 09-15-05, 06:36 AM   #8
1FASTLASER

All real good advise. I used to fish those lakes and know for a fact that right about now is the BEST time to bring on the the night fishing gear as the mighty zook said. Only difference I would suggest is try the tried and true black or white depending on the moon single colorado spinner around the boat docks and the edges of the pads. If that fails to produce enough bites I would back off a bit and start dragging and hopping 1/4oz. jig in your favorite color. Both of these techniques have yeilded some heavy stringers for me.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 11:13 AM   #9
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I agrere with your choice of baits Laser. I will ad this. If there are docks on the lake that have lights that stay on all night, that can be a pattern in itself. On really dark no moon nights these lghts are a magnet to the bait fish. Often the bass will lay just outside the light in order to ambush the bait that has accumulated there.I have had nights that I more than limited out on good fish with this pattern. Fish2win
Old 09-16-05, 04:36 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

Fish2Win

Man you let the cat outta the bag.LOL. That is one of the most awsome night time patterns there is. Woo.....Brings back some superb memories. Used to fish Wallenpaupack at night 80% of the time and never could wait to get to the north end by the river. There was numerous lighted docks there that for the most part the docks where in 10ft of water and right in front of them dropped off to anywhere from 15-20ft. What a place to be when the baitfish moved in. They would annialate a spinnerbait thrown into the light and as soon as t reached the light line WHAM!!. People would do good to remember this and fish it every chance they get. An awsome pattern.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-05, 11:10 PM   #11
brinsonsmith

Talking u need to try this out yall

[QUOTE=Mnavarro] u need to try a wieght less lizard and the lizaard needs to be black with a blue tail throw this through and around the lilypads okkay let me know how this tip works cause it all ways works for meee
Old 09-16-05, 11:56 PM   #12
Rodman_Rob

misquitos are too bad this time of year to fish at night, inhaled a couple loading the boat up this evening. There have been nights at rodman where the misquitos were so thick I had my shirt over my mouth and nose to keep from inhaling them, although that didn't keep them from literally flying into my eyes. On those nights, you can swipe your hand down your arm and literally turn your arm blood red from all the dead misquitos.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.